• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25' Foot Boat Range

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I wonder if the idea is to keep fuel readings more accurate while cruising because you'll be consuming it much faster than at no wake speeds? It's not like a car that rides level all the time except steep hills.

I've noticed the fuel gauge doesn't vary much when crossing wakes and bouncing the boat around though, just dropping off plane when the fuel is lower it really changes. Also when I filled it, and at the dock it showed 100% but 5 minutes later on plane it's dropped to 95% which isn't practically possible to consume that much toodling out and then taking off.

Either way, I tend to fill up so I don't have to worry about fuel for the day...never know when we might decide to go somewhere or do something different and it would suck if we said, "30% is enough to go out for today" and then we can't go.
:banghead:
Yeah we always fill up before going. My SeaDoo and Glastron also showed less fuel when accelerating and out of plane. I’ve had cars that when low would vary a lot when accelerating, but not so much when at least 1/4 tank or more. I’ve always gone with the lowest reading as the lower it gets the more it will move that float when moving.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of course fuel range and burn rate is something we strongly look at why wouldn't it be? It is less of a concern if I have places to fuel that are on the water if needed and if I had more money falling out of my ass.

I always have a full tank going out and fill when I get off the water every time. But If I am pulling consistently in an inland lake and we start out at 9:00 am I can go through the tank by 3-4 p.m. with 6-8 on board easy. We do not sit around on the sand bar or float for hours, it is not our gig. With the kids it is all about tubing and boarding. If there is a lot of chop and conditions are not smooth the fuel consumption obviously goes up. No way to fill up unless I leave the water and there is a good chance that I may not be able to get back on the lake since a lot of inland lakes are crowded around here. That is how we use the boat a good part of the time. That is why I look at all the numbers and if it will enhance our use case otherwise there is no point in switching the boat and upgrading to a higher price point.

As a side note, some may not mind, but I prefer to pay for gas on land and not get beat up for the fuel dock premium's around here on the Great Lakes and LSC, sometimes more than a $1.00 to $1.40 or more per gallon increase..... unless I have to. With Teenage very active and social girls in the house with all their friends over all the time, money seems to go everywhere. No harm in being cost conscious and optimizing our personal use cases. And we go boating a lot.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
That sounds about right...I need to fill up the tank and add more stabilizer this weekend so I'll be able to confirm it then too.
Just curious if you confirmed @Sean R 's hypothesis that the on plane readings are more accurate than the no wake or idle speed after your last fill up? Thanks!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've noticed gas levels don't change much from no wake to cruise speed until I get to 25% fuel level or lower. Thats when the fuel gauge starts jumping around.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've noticed gas levels don't change much from no wake to cruise speed until I get to 25% fuel level or lower. Thats when the fuel gauge starts jumping around.
That’s what I was saying. The true reading will obviously be when at level. Most variance will occur toward the bottom of the tank like any vehicle. Which direction depends on where the float is positioned as it will surge to the back on acceleration and towards the front on slowing.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
That’s what I was saying. The true reading will obviously be when at level. Most variance will occur toward the bottom of the tank like any vehicle. Which direction depends on where the float is positioned as it will surge to the back on acceleration and towards the front on slowing.
Understood, and I would tend to agree with you. However, that is opposite of what @Sean R experienced with his 18% on plane versus 2% at idle experience, after filling up with 41 gallons. On a 50 gallon tank that was 18% remaining. I would like to know because mine varies from 55% on plane to 20% at idle. Big difference and not too low in the tank.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just curious if you confirmed @Sean R 's hypothesis that the on plane readings are more accurate than the no wake or idle speed after your last fill up? Thanks!
Sorry forgot to come back to this, but Yes it seems so. On plane seems closer to being accurate as it took about 85% roughly 42 gallons to fill. Looking at the boat in the water at idle, it's clearly more "level" than on plane where the bow is up several degrees, so I don't think it's about being level. The gauges must be designed to show more accurately at plane with the fuel further back in the tank. That's fine with me...I rarely let it get that low anyway.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Sorry forgot to come back to this, but Yes it seems so. On plane seems closer to being accurate as it took about 85% roughly 42 gallons to fill. Looking at the boat in the water at idle, it's clearly more "level" than on plane where the bow is up several degrees, so I don't think it's about being level. The gauges must be designed to show more accurately at plane with the fuel further back in the tank. That's fine with me...I rarely let it get that low anyway.
Thanks...that's good to know considering the big differences I am seeing. I'm hoping to be able to get out once or twice more before putting her away for the season and I will also try to confirm at fill up.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My experience is that even after boating for a half hour or so, I will show 85% at idle or stopped. However, I will show 100% at acceleration or on plane. Was like this numerous times out as we always fill on the way. So I’m not sure, never seems at that point it could be 100%. Basically couldn’t be 100%, but 85% seems about right.

Matches my experience with almost all the vehicles or boats or motorcycles I’ve owned. When accelerating it always shows more than there is, even more so when low. The stopped value seems to always be right intuitively and backed up by time of use and what is needed to fill.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All you folks trust your fuel gauges? 🤔

My fuel gauge is prolly 30% off at any given time.

Therefore, I just configure the measurement that's displayed on the bottom of my Connext screen to show gallons of fuel consumed. On my boat, that number is always within 5% of the actual value when I fill up the tank.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
All you folks trust your fuel gauges? 🤔
Not completely...I had a gauge go on me before on a motorcycle when I was younger and have since learned to use the trip reset at each fill up for all vehicles. For the boat I fill up before going out so I know what kind of range to expect if the fuel gauge decides to go wonky.
Therefore, I just configure the measurement that's displayed on the bottom of my Connext screen to show gallons of fuel consumed. On my boat, that number is always within 5% of the actual value when I fill up the tank.
I didn't know what you meant so I checked the settings for my 212s and found your screen is different - I can't set that display feature for the Home screen. I can only see it from the Trip screen where it can be reset. Dang it...

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Finally refueled my boat, another n=1 example from the discussion above: my fuel gauge was reading 35% while on plane and 16% at idle. Took 56 gallons to fill it up. 56/70=80% so it was about 20% full. Looks like the reading at idle was more accurate than the reading while on plane.

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Finally refueled my boat, another n=1 example from the discussion above: my fuel gauge was reading 35% while on plane and 16% at idle. Took 56 gallons to fill it up. 56/70=80% so it was about 20% full. Looks like the reading at idle was more accurate than the reading while on plane.
Except its a 75 gallon tank. So you had more of 25% left... neither gauge reading is very accurate.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Except its a 75 gallon tank. So you had more of 25% left... neither gauge reading is very accurate.
Oh right, I forgot they can't make up their mind on what size tank they put in the boat. So yup, at 25% it's smack in the middle of the two readings.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Oh right, I forgot they can't make up their mind on what size tank they put in the boat. So yup, at 25% it's smack in the middle of the two readings.
Interesting. I filled up this past Saturday. Reading was 46% on plane and 19% at idle. Filled 40 gallons, which means at plane reading was dead on.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I didn't know what you meant so I checked the settings for my 212s and found your screen is different - I can't set that display feature for the Home screen. I can only see it from the Trip screen where it can be reset. Dang it...
On page 49 of the manual for 2020 212S, item #3 in the first diagram is labeled "Data Bar."

On your Connext screen, touch the arrowheads to the left and right of the Data Bar to scroll through the data points you want to display on the Data Bar. That's how I set my Data Bar to show me gallons used.

Annoyingly, the Data Bar drops back to MPG every time I turn off the Connext screen... but when I'm out boating/wakeboarding/fishing, and I need to stop the motors (e.g., to retrieve a wakeboarder or drift a jig through a baitball), I've gotten into the habit of turning off each engine in turn and flipping the key back into run mode, so even with both engines off, the Connext screen and all of the other key-operated gear stays on. Therefore, I rarely have to change the Data Bar after I initially set it when I'm pushing off my dock.

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I just took my 252se in for the 20 hour service. I was at about 18.5 hours, and here is a screenshot of the fuel numbers. Didn't do any tow sports, and normally had 4-6 adults in the boats. I was on a lake with no current, and minimal wind. A lot of variable speeds during the break in. I will compare again toward the end of next summer when it's all broken in. Hope this helps some for now.

Attachments

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I just took my 252se in for the 20 hour service. I was at about 18.5 hours, and here is a screenshot of the fuel numbers. Didn't do any tow sports, and normally had 4-6 adults in the boats. I was on a lake with no current, and minimal wind. A lot of variable speeds during the break in. I will compare again toward the end of next summer when it's all broken in. Hope this helps some for now.
1.9 gal... oof. I may have to rethink my 252SD order.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1.9 gal... oof. I may have to rethink my 252SD order.
These things aren't Honda Civics. You're running twin 1.8l 4cyl engines and using a thrust that isn't as efficient as a prop to propel a big boat. Economy gets slightly better once they're broke in, but not by much.

poidog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
These things aren't Honda Civics. You're running twin 1.8l 4cyl engines and using a thrust that isn't as efficient as a prop to propel a big boat. Economy gets slightly better once they're broke in, but not by much.
Yes, I fully understand that but a 1.x MPG and these are not even the SHO engines is pretty pisspoor. I was expecting at least high 2.x. Outboard can get into the 3.xs