• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25' Foot Boat Range

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On page 49 of the manual for 2020 212S, item #3 in the first diagram is labeled "Data Bar."
On your Connext screen, touch the arrowheads to the left and right of the Data Bar to scroll through the data points you want to display on the Data Bar. That's how I set my Data Bar to show me gallons used.
I found what you're referring to in the manual (page 45) but I don't recall seeing this data bar in my Connext on the Home screen where the MPH is displayed in large characters. My boat is sleeping till spring now so I can't check, but I will in the spring as it would be great if I could have that info available.

Edit - as I recall the Cruise Assist and No Wake Mode label was in that data bar, but I did a search and I don't have any pics of the home screen with the engines running. With the engines off, the screen changes to water temp readings and nothing below. Now I need to know if I've been missing something!!
:banghead:

Ok edit number 2 - page 66 is what my screen looks like. The pages you were referring to are for the 210 series which have tachs and a different display. Here's a screenshot of my manual and what I remember seeing:

screen.png

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1.9 gal... oof. I may have to rethink my 252SD order.
That economy rating is like the mileage rating you may have in your vehicle - it's an AVERAGE calculation based on distance and fuel consumed, not peak or best rating. My average speed is pretty low even though I cruise at 25-30 regularly, but I've spent more of my time at idle speeds exploring new areas so the average is very low. For my 212s, I can get an indicated 3.0 miles per gallon when cruising, similar to what my 4.3L Mercruiser could get, so range is a fair bit more since I have 17 gallons more fuel on board in this boat.

To achieve that rating, I can cruise at 27 mph using 9.0 gph for 3.0 mpg. From 25-40mph I can get around 2.8-3.0 mpg. Once you get above 40 mph and 6500 rpm the efficiency starts falling off and consumption goes up faster. For longer cruises I try to keep it between 25-30 mph but have no issue speeding up to 40 to cross wakes of boats I'm overtaking and not feel bad about fuel consumption.

The new 252 hulls are longer and will not be as efficient as a 212, but given the older 242 series had similar performance to the 212 series, I can't see it being dramatically worse in real world use.

Data

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Advance apologies if this subject has already been beat to death- but I have not seen it yet . . . .
When a lot of time and distance is spent at low speeds like 5 - 15 mph, in no-wake zones or cocktail cruising, etc, is there any fuel-consumption advantage to running on one engine instead of both ?
It seems intuitive that one engine at slow speeds would result in better mpg numbers; but is that true? Has anyone tried it ?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Advance apologies if this subject has already been beat to death- but I have not seen it yet . . . .
When a lot of time and distance is spent at low speeds like 5 - 15 mph, in no-wake zones or cocktail cruising, etc, is there any fuel-consumption advantage to running on one engine instead of both ?
It seems intuitive that one engine at slow speeds would result in better mpg numbers; but is that true? Has anyone tried it ?
At Idle ahead, I would think from a distance point of view there is not an advantage, however from a run time point of view the fuel consumption would be halved.

From what I understand, at speeds above 5 mph the cooling water inlet of the non running engine must be closed off. I have not tried it.

Data

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Given that there might be times when one engine can't be run (clogged intake, no fuel, overheat, etc) it seems like the ability to run on one engine without special measures would be essential.

I have little experience with twin jets- mostly inboards and I/O's- but am considering the Yamaha boats and trying to understand the pros and cons . . .

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You shouldn't run on one engine, unless necessary only at a few miles an hour or so, as a general rule you don't want to do it. Otherwise water can back up in the other engine and when you attempt to start it, it could Hydro-Lock and then your engine is shot. Search the forums here there is a lot of threads on it. You can clamp off or put a valve on to prevent this.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Given that there might be times when one engine can't be run (clogged intake, no fuel, overheat, etc) it seems like the ability to run on one engine without special measures would be essential.

I have little experience with twin jets- mostly inboards and I/O's- but am considering the Yamaha boats and trying to understand the pros and cons . . .
Without HiJacking this thread... I’d say overall the Yamaha jet boats are a net positive in all aspects.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had to run on one at no wake for about 2 1/2 hours when we sucked up a rope in June. Boat doesn’t handle nearly as well on one. I wouldn’t think twice about paying for extra gas vs dealing with the poor tracking on one engine.

Data

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Without HiJacking this thread... I’d say overall the Yamaha jet boats are a net positive in all aspects.
I appreciate all info, trying to make an informed choice. Seems like fuel economy and noise are cons, but perhaps outweighed by all of the positives that come with jets, especially the shallow water safety aspects. I do wonder about the 200 hour service requirements on the superchargers- that seems way-too-frequent. Would 200 hours be one season for some people, or is that unrealistically high usage ?

Most of my jet experience has been with PWC's and I am considering the 252 SE or possibly the 275 SE if I can justify the price (ouch!) While the 275 is a very attractive boat it looks like the drawbacks would be supercharger maintenance and the fact that it is not legally trailerable without a permit.

Most of my intended boating would be in Lake Michigan in the summer, and southwest Florida in the winter, so trailering is a factor.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As an example I did just about 100 hrs. circa this summer and we were out on our boat every weekend and at least 1 week day and we usually do water sports no hanging out at the sandbar. We also go across some major distance regularly, 20-40 miles, depending on where we launch from. We do Lake Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie and inland lakes around here.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I appreciate all info, trying to make an informed choice. Seems like fuel economy and noise are cons, but perhaps outweighed by all of the positives that come with jets, especially the shallow water safety aspects. I do wonder about the 200 hour service requirements on the superchargers- that seems way-too-frequent. Would 200 hours be one season for some people, or is that unrealistically high usage ?

Most of my jet experience has been with PWC's and I am considering the 252 SE or possibly the 275 SE if I can justify the price (ouch!) While the 275 is a very attractive boat it looks like the drawbacks would be supercharger maintenance and the fact that it is not legally trailerable without a permit.

Most of my intended boating would be in Lake Michigan in the summer, and southwest Florida in the winter, so trailering is a factor.

I’m new to boating so not the best audience for comparisons to a prop boat.... with that in mind. I don’t think my boat is that noisy. There was another thread I came across on here recently that did a comparison of many types of boats and noise was one of the graphs. The noise level has been significantly reduced in the last 10 years on Yamaha Jet boats. Yes they are a little bit noisier than an outboard, but I have not problem talking with people while underway. I find the wind noise is greater than the engine noise.

Fuel economy. Well, with 500hp if you are driving it hard and are using that 500hp-very exciting- then you are going to burn some fuel. If you can throttle back Maverick, the cruise gph is very reasonable. I had found a test report the other day on the 255E and it gave the fuel burn chart and I was impressed that the tested fuel burn was less than what I had extrapolated out from fuel burns of the 195 FSH Sport. How did that old saying go? Power is economy. If was to have bought this boat, I’d be more concerned with range than how much it was going to cost to run it.

As far as the hours/maintenance goes-looks like you are doing your homework and good on you! I really don’t have a frame of reference on the amount of hours a boat would get put on it in a season, I would think that is highly variable. What does the 200 hour maintenance on the SC require?

It does sound like a 25’ or 27’ boat is going to be right for you since you are going to be on some big water... we don’t need another Edmund Fitzgerald type of song for you LOL!

Dang... the limit is 102” wide not including accessories for towing without a permit, and the 27’ boat is 108”... well, how about a nice 255 E center console? It is legal to trailer. Otherwise, how often do you make the trip to FLA? I don’t know much about getting a wide load permit but it seems like it would not be too much of a hassle. It is also significantly less money than the zoot 27’ boat.

I should have asked this first.. what do you use the boat for?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Concerning the sc. there is no real regular preventative maintenance. The sc itself lasts forever. Its the clutch that can go. The clutch is either good or its bad in the svho engines. Performance doesnt slowly taper off or anything like that and if it does go it doesnt hurt the engine. That engine will be limited to about 5k rpm with no boost. Once it goes thats when you do the clutch change. Its about $450-$500 in parts. You can do it yourself in about 2 hrs or to have a shop do it will run about $400 in labor. The sc can last 50hrs or it can last 800. It really depends on how you run the boat. A ski is different and the clutch really takes some abuse because a ski is constantly coming unhooked from the water. A boat that almost never happens so unless you run high rpm alot and chop or snap the throttle back to idle all the time then the clutch should last a very long time. For most people i think well over 200 hrs.

Data

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m new to boating so not the best audience for comparisons to a prop boat.... with that in mind. I don’t think my boat is that noisy. There was another thread I came across on here recently that did a comparison of many types of boats and noise was one of the graphs. The noise level has been significantly reduced in the last 10 years on Yamaha Jet boats. Yes they are a little bit noisier than an outboard, but I have not problem talking with people while underway. I find the wind noise is greater than the engine noise.

Fuel economy. Well, with 500hp if you are driving it hard and are using that 500hp-very exciting- then you are going to burn some fuel. If you can throttle back Maverick, the cruise gph is very reasonable. I had found a test report the other day on the 255E and it gave the fuel burn chart and I was impressed that the tested fuel burn was less than what I had extrapolated out from fuel burns of the 195 FSH Sport. How did that old saying go? Power is economy. If was to have bought this boat, I’d be more concerned with range than how much it was going to cost to run it.

As far as the hours/maintenance goes-looks like you are doing your homework and good on you! I really don’t have a frame of reference on the amount of hours a boat would get put on it in a season, I would think that is highly variable. What does the 200 hour maintenance on the SC require?

It does sound like a 25’ or 27’ boat is going to be right for you since you are going to be on some big water... we don’t need another Edmund Fitzgerald type of song for you LOL!

Dang... the limit is 102” wide not including accessories for towing without a permit, and the 27’ boat is 108”... well, how about a nice 255 E center console? It is legal to trailer. Otherwise, how often do you make the trip to FLA? I don’t know much about getting a wide load permit but it seems like it would not be too much of a hassle. It is also significantly less money than the zoot 27’ boat.

I should have asked this first.. what do you use the boat for?
Last question first: Most of the time in Florida it would be just me and the wife putting around the ICW and the keys, with some sight seeing, sandbars, and restaurant and bar hopping. We might get the occasional visitor to ride along. Why such a big boat for two people ? For the wife's comfort, and maybe mine too . . .
In the north we would have a lot more people on the boat most times, family and friends with kids who like watersports.

It is not a huge deal to get trailering permits for boats under 10' wide, but my understanding is that a separate permit is needed for each state traveled, so that's five permits to go from Indiana to Florida. I would expect to do the trip twice a year, south in the fall, back north in the spring. Getting permits takes a little time online and some nominal money, but it's not a deal-breaker. It is very likely that one could tow all over the country without permits and never have a problem; and even if I get caught it is probably just a fine. However, that is not the issue with permits- The risk is in having an accident on the road, even one that is in no way my fault, I will likely still be at fault for towing without a permit (Illegally). The other risk is that it gives my insurance company an excuse to deny a claim. None of this matters with a 102" wide boat . . .

I can have fun with almost any boat- even (ahem) a sailboat . . . but my wife thinks a cruise ship is about the right size for saltwater.

I expect jets to use measurably more fuel that props, but hopefully that is more than offset by far lower maintenance and no risk of hitting props and lower units on rocks, plus the safety factor with kids in the water . . .

I do take your point that wind noise will eclipse engine noise at speed- I had not thought of that.

Data

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Concerning the sc. there is no real regular preventative maintenance. The sc itself lasts forever. Its the clutch that can go. The clutch is either good or its bad in the svho engines. Performance doesnt slowly taper off or anything like that and if it does go it doesnt hurt the engine. That engine will be limited to about 5k rpm with no boost. Once it goes thats when you do the clutch change. Its about $450-$500 in parts. You can do it yourself in about 2 hrs or to have a shop do it will run about $400 in labor. The sc can last 50hrs or it can last 800. It really depends on how you run the boat. A ski is different and the clutch really takes some abuse because a ski is constantly coming unhooked from the water. A boat that almost never happens so unless you run high rpm alot and chop or snap the throttle back to idle all the time then the clutch should last a very long time. For most people i think well over 200 hrs.
That is encouraging info on the superchargers if the failures are not catastrophic and I can make the repairs myself. Perhaps it would be wise to keep SC clutch parts on hand in anticipation of the inevitable clutch failure ? Also, if the SC's can go 300 - 400 hours with careful use, that is quite tolerable. I have read several posts on this forum regarding frequent SC problems and it worried me. On the other hand, Yamaha is known for mostly trouble-free engineering and one might expect that pesky SC's (and warranty claims) would be corrected quickly.
I also respect Murphy's Law, therefore the inevitable SC failures will happen at the worst possible times . . .

I am probably overthinking all of this !

Data

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As an example I did just about 100 hrs. circa this summer and we were out on our boat every weekend and at least 1 week day and we usually do water sports no hanging out at the sandbar. We also go across some major distance regularly, 20-40 miles, depending on where we launch from. We do Lake Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie and inland lakes around here.
That sounds about right- can you run all day on one fuel load or do you need to add gas during the day ?

Personally, I could happily boat 1000 hours a year- but the reality is that 100 hours a year might be optimistic . . . .

Also I rarely hear any mention of Lake Huron- is that not a good lake for recreational boating ?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just took my 252se in for the 20 hour service. I was at about 18.5 hours, and here is a screenshot of the fuel numbers. Didn't do any tow sports, and normally had 4-6 adults in the boats. I was on a lake with no current, and minimal wind. A lot of variable speeds during the break in. I will compare again toward the end of next summer when it's all broken in. Hope this helps some for now.
This is great, thanks. I was looking at used AR240 and with 10 hours on it and the fuel consumption was 200 gallons (does say 420 miles). Seemed excessive, but I guess if your doing watersports it might seem ok (just made me think, was the boat ran wide open the whole time)? If the boat was broken in properly, I guess just being skeptical. Curious to hear thoughts on what you guys think about this?

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Data It all depends what we are doing. With a full boat pulling tubers without stopping, if we start around 10:00 am, I can burn through a tank by 4-5 p.m. Mind you this is without stopping really at all, just to change riders/tubes or top off air. Sucks being the driver but with 7+ kids on board that is all they wanted to do.... Otherwise, I always have gas in the tank at the end of the day.

Lake Huron is a fantastic lake, we just went into it briefly coming up the St. Clair River. Across the lake on the Canada side is Georgian Bay, which is incredible, go look at pictures of it. Some members here have posted pictures. We are planning to cross next year. To drive the boat straight to Lake Huron in the Thumb, it is about 1.5 hrs give or take from our house to Port Huron. About the same for us to get to Saginaw Bay or Port Austin in the thumb. I can be in Lake St. Clair at the launch in 20 minutes. So we usually put the boat in, when going that way, in Anchor Bay at the State Launch or at the Metro park. Have a great time, stop in at Restaurants on the water, plenty of fuel on the water, Sandbars if you like that, sheltered coves, lots of areas to do water sports, water is warmer and the fishing is fantastic. Only thing is that there are a couple large coves and Island's that are not kid friendly so you will see a lot of nude sunbathing, volleyball, frisbee and other adult activities.

@SCP1 That kind of consumption for 10 hours seems a bit high to me as well.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a screenshot of our graph taken from this thread.

The glowing lines are Yamaha jet boats. For reference, 65 DB is equivalent to a normal conversation. Every three DB increase is equal to a perceived doubling of sound intensity.

BC6889D6-1F99-4972-A52E-ACA182DD9610.jpeg
U
Recent Boating magazine test of the 2021 FSH 255 E. Looks like 9 hours of fuel at economical cruise with a 10% reserve.

60EDC024-23A2-4355-A89F-4380F86D9298.png

Last edited:

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a screenshot of our graph taken from this thread.

The glowing lines are Yamaha jet boats. For reference, 65 DB is equivalent to a normal conversation. Every three DB increase is equal to a perceived doubling of sound intensity.

View attachment 139242
U
Recent Boating magazine test of the 2021 FSH 255 E. Looks like 9 hours of fuel at economical cruise with a 10% reserve.

View attachment 139245
That’s good to know!