• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2nd voyage finally. Sucked up wood. Total power loss

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Been researching the videos on getting the wood out. It's jammed against the impeller blade and the housing. Hoping of course it dries out and I can break it off. But if not, I've been watching all the pump removal videos. Looks straight forward but is there anything special in the removal with a 19 AR195 that has the rudder plus the OEM lateral thrust?

Rain was moving in fast so we retrieved and then headed home garaging the boat and I don't have the room to get behind it to look for myself. Trying to gauge what I'm in for.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, it is a pain, to be sure. I have had it and it can be done without removing the pump, but it will take some creative work with a needle nose pliers, straight blade screw driver, and knife. I think on my last really bad one I wound up removing the grate on the bottom to get the last of it. Probably should have pulled the pump instead... Be sure you approach from the top and also from the grate side. You won't get anywhere near it from the back (without pulling the pump).

Have a thread around here somewhere of my ordeal...

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Oh, it is a pain, to be sure. I have had it and it can be done without removing the pump, but it will take some creative work with a needle nose pliers, straight blade screw driver, and knife. I think on my last really bad one I wound up removing the grate on the bottom to get the last of it. Probably should have pulled the pump instead... Be sure you approach from the top and also from the grate side. You won't get anywhere near it from the back (without pulling the pump).

Have a thread around here somewhere of my ordeal...
I'm okay with just pulling the pump and not messing with trying to fish it out. Plus, it'll be a good learning experience for me when I'm not being eyeballed by a bunch of expectant friends waiting to go skiing. Just wondering if the 19 ARs are different in what gets removed than the older no rudder/lateral thrust pump sections.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found it: https://jetboaters.net/threads/finally-got-out-on-the-water.5933/ Thought I had pics, but I guess not.

Don't know about the 19's specifically (I have a '12), but I would pass on that if you pull the pumps, be careful with torquing the end of the cables you disconnect (steering, gate). When I was reinstalling I tightened one of the bolts and snapped off the end of the cable... Don't do that.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm okay with just pulling the pump and not messing with trying to fish it out. Plus, it'll be a good learning experience for me when I'm not being eyeballed by a bunch of expectant friends waiting to go skiing. Just wondering if the 19 ARs are different in what gets removed than the older no rudder/lateral thrust pump sections.
Just 4 long bolts holding the venturi nozzle and the reverse bucket, disconnect the reverse cable on top of the bucket (no tools, it is a spring loaded mechanism!), and one bolt for the steering cable. That's it, and I'm not sure on the AK, the twins have a rod. Pull that off, save all the dowels! Remove the stator segment with the impeller and the impeller shaft.

--

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have sucked up 3 pieces of wood and each time I have had to lay on my back on the driveway and whittle away until it loosed up to pull it out with my fingers.

All totaled up, 3 pieces of wood, 1 tow rope, 1 plastic worm container

Funny thing is I used to have a Tige and bent a couple of props in the area we boat. Never even occurred to me about the trash in the water!

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can leave the front of the boat in the rain so that you can have access the jet assembly. I wash the boat out with a hose after every ride.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might try blowing air up there to dry out the wood. Blowing air from a shop vac for a few hours should do it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Couldn't get it from cleanout port? I get wood chips often and seaweeed only when i go to bimini. The wood chips were hard to reach but once i did i was able to wiggle out every time

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Like @swatski said, just pull the four bolts to remove the pump. You'll be surprised how simple this is to do. You'll have a nice sense of accomplishment afterwards (I did). ;)

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The piece, as best I can feel it, is about 3" long with the impeller jamming it an inch down. It's not a tiny piece of wood, but since I've got about 2 weeks before I'm planning on going out again, I'm going to try to fish it out.

I assume I cannot remove the two bolts and the square part of the intake grate without breaking some sort of gasket/silicone seal, correct? Best not to mess with any of that?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The piece, as best I can feel it, is about 3" long with the impeller jamming it an inch down. It's not a tiny piece of wood, but since I've got about 2 weeks before I'm planning on going out again, I'm going to try to fish it out.

I assume I cannot remove the two bolts and the square part of the intake grate without breaking some sort of gasket/silicone seal, correct? Best not to mess with any of that?
Intake grates are easy to remove, Allen bolts.
Seal any gaps that may suck air from the bilge while at it.
I don't know what they do, but I consistently find even 5200 does not last more than a season, I can usually peel parts of it off. Not the MarineTex - that holds great. I'll be redoing my intakes and pumps this week, already pulled them off - will be using bondo (polyester).

As an aside - also replacing the intake grates, both were cracked/broken. Which is a bit strange as my impellers look absolutely pristine.

I would say, most likely sharpening/honing the grates weakens those considerably. I will not be doing it with the new set.

Out with the old:
View attachment 91340
View attachment 91339

And in with the new:
View attachment 91341

--

JetboatDrvr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had that happen to us on our AR 190. Watched the youtube video and then did it. It took about 30 minutes total. Its a one beer job for sure and gave me a chance to get to know the boat better. The worst part was seeing this little sliver of a wood chip that jammed up the entire thing.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Had that happen to us on our AR 190. Watched the youtube video and then did it. It took about 30 minutes total. Its a one beer job for sure and gave me a chance to get to know the boat better. The worst part was seeing this little sliver of a wood chip that jammed up the entire thing.
Mine was a plastic water bottle cap. Someone's trash :mad:

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
One of the things that most, but not all of, the pump removal videos don't mention is if there's some sort of grease/gasket type material I need to replace once the pump and cone/impeller parts are removed. Most showed none but one with a full impeller replacement on a Wave Runner did.

JetboatDrvr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the things that most, but not all of, the pump removal videos don't mention is if there's some sort of grease/gasket type material I need to replace once the pump and cone/impeller parts are removed. Most showed none but one with a full impeller replacement on a Wave Runner did.
I don't recall anything unless I screwed it up but that was more than 100 and 2 years ago so guessing all is working just fine.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some people use blue RV type silicone between pump segments, it is not really necessary IMO. Just don’t lose the dowels.

I use a dollop of bearing grease on the spline end of the shaft.

If you pull the impeller, use anti seize.
Sealing the transom plate and the tunnel is a whole different discussion/project.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My boat is older and they must have changed things but I have 5 bolts. 4) 14 mm and 1) 10mm. It helps to have 2 long extensions for your ratchet with a wobble on one of them. Easy job. Oh and 11mm socket and wrench for the steering bolt.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is older and they must have changed things but I have 5 bolts. 4) 14 mm and 1) 10mm. It helps to have 2 long extensions for your ratchet with a wobble on one of them. Easy job. Oh and 11mm socket and wrench for the steering bolt.
Well, I've only have 1.8s but that 10mm bolt is only there if you take apart the wear ring/transom plate as well?So, if taking off the venturi+reverse bucket assembly and the stator+impeller+shaft assembly only - that's still just 4 bolts, correct?
That 10mm bolt should be handled more gently - different torque, I don;t remember now but it is different, don't overtorque.

--