• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3 Years, 3 Bad ECUs...

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 years ago I bought my 2005 AR230 and that summer the starboard ECU got a stuck injector so I sent it out for repair. Last year the port ECU went bad with the same problem, an injector sticking open. I bought a new ECU because I needed the bought back in a hurry for a trip. Went out yesterday and after a while the starboard engine was down about 1,000 RPMs compared to port. I changed plugs on the water to no effect so we called it a day. Plugged in YDS and injector 1 isn't firing. I plugged the harness for injector 2 onto injector 1 and it fired so the injector is good.

Guess we're done for this year. We leave for vacation tomorrow (thankfully not a trip planned with the boat) so I won't get the ECU out till next week. Weather will likely turn cold before I get it back. I still have last year's bad ECU sitting hear. I neglected to get it repaired because what were the chances of this happening again. I guess I'll save a few bucks on shipping sending them both off. Tempted to unload this boat and pick up a 07+ so I don't have to deal with this but I would have to find a great deal and get top dollar for my boat at the same time which probably isn't happening. Ughh..such a bummer way to end the season.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@UnorhodoxCreations Have you tried plugging the injector #1 harness into injector #2? Maybe a contact is corroded, misaligned, or broken?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@UnorhodoxCreations Have you tried plugging the injector #1 harness into injector #2? Maybe a contact is corroded, misaligned, or broken?
I don't think I did. I wish I thought of that last night before I put everything back together but it's certainly worth testing just in case.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it was thought the 05-06 models the stepover was different and the drain also water coming from the top direct access to the ECU's

do you normally have your boat covered? do you think there's been alot of water on the top side ??

was there any condensation or water when you opened the ECU ?

Did you put any silicone around the ECU ? I've seriously considered doing that as a preventive measure,

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it was thought the 05-06 models the stepover was different and the drain also water coming from the top direct access to the ECU's

do you normally have your boat covered? do you think there's been alot of water on the top side ??
The boat sits in my shop from October until about June. During the summer it's always under a Yamaha cover except for about 1 week when it's moored at my in laws beach house. Should be very little water if any coming from the top side and I've never seen more than an inch in the bottom of the engine bay.
was there any condensation or water when you opened the ECU ?
I haven't opened the ECU box yet because my wife was busy. We may have time tonight, not sure.
Did you put any silicone around the ECU ? I've seriously considered doing that as a preventive measure,
This box has silicone across the top seam. I did that after it failed on me for the first time 3 years ago.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use the removable caulk that I’ve been using on the clean out tray if going that route.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is my understanding that a bad injector will damage an ECU. The low resistance of a bad injector is the cause.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my 77 years, I have fixed more electrical problems by disconnecting and reconnecting than I have by replacing components. So soon old....

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is my understanding that a bad injector will damage an ECU. The high resistance of a bad injector is the cause.
I feel like if that was the case then replacing/repairing ECUs wouldn't work. I was hoping my issue was an injector or coil but that's not the case. It's not the same injector I had issues with before. I don't know if when this was repaired if they replaced all the drivers or just the bad one. I thought they were supposed to replace them all but I don't know that for sure. That's my biggest complaint about the repair process, you don't seem to get a lot of info on what was done. I wish I had a spare ECU that I was willing to cut open and see what the components are and what they are replacing.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel like if that was the case then replacing/repairing ECUs wouldn't work. I was hoping my issue was an injector or coil but that's not the case. It's not the same injector I had issues with before. I don't know if when this was repaired if they replaced all the drivers or just the bad one. I thought they were supposed to replace them all but I don't know that for sure. That's my biggest complaint about the repair process, you don't seem to get a lot of info on what was done. I wish I had a spare ECU that I was willing to cut open and see what the components are and what they are replacing.
I had the same issue. Bad ECM, injector always open ,sent in for repairs and had a different injector do the same. I contacted them and they told me that they would have to look at it to see what happened with no guarantee. After replacing with new ECM I’ve had no problems.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is possible to have a bad ECU and good injectors but the common failure is low resistance on an injector which leads to a ECU driver burn out. So, to be safe, you should ohm out all of your injectors to make sure they are within spec before you run your new ECU.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swapped wires around and the problem followed the injector plug for cylinder 1. My daughter helped me loosen the ECU box and I pulled the ECU. There were zero signs of water in there, not even condensation like I've seen in the past. I plugged in my bad ECU from last year, partly to double check it's not a wiring issue and partly so I could note what injector was sticking open with that ECU because I couldn't remember. Well that ECU worked fine. It confirmed the other ECU is the problem. I was surprised it worked ok but I suspect if I tried to use it the issues would return once components warmed up. I guess I'm going to send them both off for repair. I'm going to plead to Carmo to see if I can get any cheaper on the ECU they fixed 2 years ago but I know the warranty is only 1 year and it's not repeating the exact same issue.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue. Bad ECM, injector always open ,sent in for repairs and had a different injector do the same. I contacted them and they told me that they would have to look at it to see what happened with no guarantee. After replacing with new ECM I’ve had no problems.
I'm tempted to buy another new one but I can get 2 repaired for cheaper than buying a new one. If I knew they new ones were improved I'd be more tempted to go that way but I don't know that. They do have the advantage of not being almost 20 years old.

Last edited:

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sent in my 2 bad ECUs for repairs today. They said what I had done before was just a repair. These will get a full refurbish. I wish I knew that was an option last time. Maybe I'll get them back in time for a last ride before it gets too cold.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sent in my 2 bad ECUs for repairs today. They said what I had done before was just a repair. These will get a full refurbish. I wish I knew that was an option last time. Maybe I'll get them back in time for a last ride before it gets too cold.
Were they able to give a price on what a full refurbish costs? I didn't know that was an option either.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Were they able to give a price on what a full refurbish costs? I didn't know that was an option either.
It's all a little confusing because there is a website for Carmo in the Netherlands(where I believe this work is actually performed) and there is Carmo USA. I first reached out to Carmo NL and they were the ones who said I had a repair versus refurbish. I believe they still list both repair and refurbish options on their website. They offered a 20% discount on the one that was previously repaired but costs were all in Euros and shipping was more so I tried to purchase through the Carmo USA website. When doing that I was getting a message that they weren't accepting payments from my "region". I was then pointed to https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/products/2003-2009-yamaha-ar230-sr230-sx230-fx1000-srt1000-ecu-repair and made my purchase there. They only list one option and it is $449 per unit plus $40 for return shipping. Less than $100 more per ECU than I paid before. As I experienced before, they seem to send these overseas in batches. They needed to receive this by 9/5 to go out with the next batch. Last time I had the ECUs back in less than a month so I should have an update by the end of the month.

I actually considered trying to fix these myself as I have built a Megasquirt ECU for my car about 12 years ago but I don't have any experience with potted electronics and didn't want to risk damaging a unit beyond repair. I also considered switching the boat to run on a standalone ECU like a Megasquirt/Microsquirt but I don't feel confident in my ability to be able to tune it. I think it'd probably easy for a good tuner but I couldn't find much support from others who have gone this route with jet skis.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I received an invoice today to get my ECUs back. Last time I think they just charged my card and they showed up. Anyways, they didn't charge me for the repair of the ECU that was already fixed. I had to pay the diagnostic for both, repairs for one and shipping so $556 plus shipping to them for both ECUs. I thought that was fair. I'll now have a spare bur hopefully won't need it. I suspect I'll have them back by next weekend. Would love to take the boat for a test drive before it gets too cold but I don't know if that will happen.