• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 fouled plugs/ECM issue

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While on vacation in KY my port engine has been fouling plugs like crazy the past couple days. Initially it fouled 1 & 4 so I swapped them out and the next time we went out we fouled 1, 3 & 4(at separate times). I replace all 4 with new ones and went out this morning and a couple miles from the marina fouled another plug. This time it was #1. Didnt have a replacement so I figured I’d at least swap all four coils out before we headed back. Got back with no issues. I’m going to replace all 4 again and go test with the coils swapped.
This is the same engine that we had ECM issues with a stuck injector earlier in the year. I’m beginning to wonder if the ECM is crapping out again. Any ideas???

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Uggg! Swap ecu’s. I know easier said than done.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uggg! Swap ecu’s. I know easier said than done.
This is the last full day in KY so that’ll have to wait till I get home but that’s the next step.

Just got back from another test with 4 new plugs and coils swapped. Port Cyl. 1 is not firing at all now, still looks like it just came out of the box and the others have some color to them. Starboard engine still runs with no issues so I’ll swap ECM’s when I get home to see if the issue follows or not.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to ask if this was the motor with new ECM. I’d swap them and see what happens.
Easier said than done in the 230 series boats.
If it was my first day here on vac, maybe, but we’re heading home in the morning so I’ll just wait. Plenty for us to do here at Prizer Point.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree, make the best of your vaca first.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got a chance to check things out on the boat. Hooked up the YDS and no new codes. While it was hooked up I ran the injector test and all cyl clicked the same, ran a spark test on #1 while the plug was out and got spark but not good spark. Wiggled wires, made sure it had good ground and checked again with no change. Installed a new plug in the coil, grounded to the same spot and tested with great spark. Tested multiple times, moving wires and checking for any issues and always had good spark. Installed plug, and ran the engine for about 10 minutes running cutout tests and all seems good and the plug looks perfect. Now the only thing to do is dump it in the river for a water test. Not sure when that’s going to happen though.
Doing what I can and making the ECM swap a last resort.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s cloudy & 67* here but we’re going to head to the Mississippi and test out the port engine. Taking everything I need to swap the ECM’s and hoping that I don’t have to. I’ll post my findings later today.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went about 25 miles down the river with no issues. Turned around at the dam and went about a mile and the port engine lost about 800rpm. Anchored and swapped the ECM’s in about 40 minutes, headed back up river and both engines ran great for about 10 miles until the starboard engine lost about 800rpm. After about 3 miles the starboard engine regained rpm & power for about 2 miles and then lost about 800rpm again. Got back to the ramp, loaded it on the trailer and headed home. The issue is following the ECM so I’m going to email Carmo and see what they say.
Got home & checked the plugs in the starboard engine and none are wet, 2&3 look a little darker than the other but not bad. I think Im getting spark in all the cyl but not good spark in one when I loose rpm. There isn’t just one cyl that’s the issue, it seems as if the issue moves around.
A19CB028-EA58-4150-99EC-956D50A00262.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went about 25 miles down the river with no issues. Turned around at the dam and went about a mile and the port engine lost about 800rpm. Anchored and swapped the ECM’s in about 40 minutes, headed back up river and both engines ran great for about 10 miles until the starboard engine lost about 800rpm. After about 3 miles the starboard engine regained rpm & power for about 2 miles and then lost about 800rpm again. Got back to the ramp, loaded it on the trailer and headed home. The issue is following the ECM so I’m going to email Carmo and see what they say.
Got home & checked the plugs in the starboard engine and none are wet, 2&3 look a little darker than the other but not bad. I think Im getting spark in all the cyl but not good spark in one when I loose rpm. There isn’t just one cyl that’s the issue, it seems as if the issue moves around.
View attachment 186370
That Sucks!

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How the hell did you swap them in 40 minutes?

And, how are you attaching them back to the boat single handed? (Can I share my electrical boxes may or may not be attached with Wire Ties while I figure this out?)

I'm searching for a gremlin and swapped them yesterday. It was NOT 40 minutes. Congrats on having the process licked, although I suspect it's a superpower you would rather not have. My problem is sticking to the engine and not moving with the ECU, so Injector replacement is next week, I only have so much time.

Best of Luck!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How the hell did you swap them in 40 minutes?

And, how are you attaching them back to the boat single handed? (Can I share my electrical boxes may or may not be attached with Wire Ties while I figure this out?)

I'm searching for a gremlin and swapped them yesterday. It was NOT 40 minutes. Congrats on having the process licked, although I suspect it's a superpower you would rather not have. My problem is sticking to the engine and not moving with the ECU, so Injector replacement is next week, I only have so much time.

Best of Luck!
It’s not a fun task, especially with HOT engines but it was the only way to figure the problem out. The wife and I have done it before. I took the few tools I needed and my impact driver to get the 4 bolts that hold each black box on the engine bay back wall. She ran the driver and I was on the swim deck with a wrench. I already knew I had to cut all the wire ties to get them to the top of the engine and remove the engine lift eye on the starboard side to help get the box to the top of engine to work on. All of the other lift eyes can stay put.
A19CFAAC-AC62-4E12-A24A-D90957736651.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice. I did manage to wiggle it out without taking the eye out, but it was not fun. If I have to do it again I will do that.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can get by with removing the rear bolt and tipping to forward too.

& After swapping the ECM I wire tied the boxes to the lift eyes for the time being without putting the covers back on.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So you are thinking it is a ECM to plug issue and not ECM to injector?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you are thinking it is a ECM to plug issue and not ECM to injector?
It's got to be an issue with the ECM and the ignition system. They already repaired the injector circuits earlier this year and I'm not making oil so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue this time around. Can this issue be repaired by Carmo?? Dunno. I emailed them last night with my findings and hoping to hear back from them today on their thoughts and if it is even repairable.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Carmo says that this does not sound a typical issue with this type of ECU and are unsure if it is directly related to the ECU. They can not speculate. The tech would need to use his tools on it.

Question,
Do I send it in for possible repairs and spend another $475 or just buy a new ECM for $1300?
I’m torn on what to do.
I already sent it in earlier this season and had them repair for a stuck injector and now this issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I might buy a new ECM,

your boat should work correctly and be trustworthy, It could be something really unusual is messed up with the original ECM and maybe/maybe not Camo will fix it,

with a new ecm if you get the same problem you'll have a pretty good chance your old ecm isn't the problem and after the real problem is solved you could eventually resell the "new" ecm for $1k to somebody who needed one fast,

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I might buy a new ECM,

your boat should work correctly and be trustworthy, It could be something really unusual is messed up with the original ECM and maybe/maybe not Camo will fix it,

with a new ecm if you get the same problem you'll have a pretty good chance your old ecm isn't the problem and after the real problem is solved you could eventually resell the "new" ecm for $1k to somebody who needed one fast,
I'm 99% sure it's the ECM seeing the issue moved with the ECM and I'm leaning towards a new one. I figure if I get a new one and it solves the problem then I might send the old one in to get repaired after everything checks out and either have a spare or possibly sell the repaired one to recoup some of the $$.