• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

$30,000 SX190 2015... How much am I overpaying?

Zyglett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all,

First time posting. Been looking at boats for awhile now and have pretty much decided on a yamaha jet boat. Have read a lot of great things and it seems best for me. Naturally I want to have one for this summer, and I'm a little late in the season for purchasing, so I acknowledge I'm going to be paying a premium. I currently have a refundable deposit down on a 2015 yamaha SX190, with 230 hours. It's currently listed at 30,000. Comes with trailer, cover, and thrust vectors. The dealer offers a 45 day guarantee starting memorial day that covers any mechanical failures, which means a lot to me. In general it looks like it's in great condition, and I'm going to go check it out with a mechanic friend this weekend to take a more in depth look.
Here is the boat:

So... Just tell me... How much am I overpaying here? Or any comments to make me feel better about the price? The amount of hours scares me, but the 45 day guarantee and having my mechanic friend take a looksie alleviates most of my concerns, but looking for more experienced opinions.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I wouldn't be concerned about the hours. Thats only 32 hrs / year. How is the condition of the upholstery and gel coat? That is usually very telling of how the boat was cared for.

Price is probably a touch high (higher than original msrp!), but highly dependent on demand and supply in your market. Has the dealer recently serviced the engine (plugs, filter, oil) and the trailer bearing? Do they have service records for the boat? Can you do a sea trial before purchase?

Zyglett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't be concerned about the hours. Thats only 32 hrs / year. How is the condition of the upholstery and gel coat? That is usually very telling of how the boat was cared for.

Price is probably a touch high (higher than original msrp!), but highly dependent on demand and supply in your market. Has the dealer recently serviced the engine (plugs, filter, oil) and the trailer bearing? Do they have service records for the boat? Can you do a sea trial before purchase?
Looking at the pics, the upholstery and gel coat look surprisingly great considering the 230 hours. I'll be getting an in person confirmation this weekend. They did the engining servicing you listed, however great question regarding the trailer bearing... Going to write that one down haha. Thanks for that :D Ill be asking for service records too from them. And I live in WI, so unfortunately a sea trial probably isn't safe until we are out of the freezing temp phase. And because the 45 day guarantee, I wasn't planning on doing a sea trial. But honestly I should probably push for one before purchasing... I mean I wouldn't buy a 30k car without test driving it.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and your wisdom. Gave me a couple more ideas of things to ask :)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seems like a lot even considering the boat market. I sold my 2014 AR192 for $26k 3 years ago with about 200 hrs on it.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey all,

First time posting. Been looking at boats for awhile now and have pretty much decided on a yamaha jet boat. Have read a lot of great things and it seems best for me. Naturally I want to have one for this summer, and I'm a little late in the season for purchasing, so I acknowledge I'm going to be paying a premium. I currently have a refundable deposit down on a 2015 yamaha SX190, with 230 hours. It's currently listed at 30,000. Comes with trailer, cover, and thrust vectors. The dealer offers a 45 day guarantee starting memorial day that covers any mechanical failures, which means a lot to me. In general it looks like it's in great condition, and I'm going to go check it out with a mechanic friend this weekend to take a more in depth look.
Here is the boat:

So... Just tell me... How much am I overpaying here? Or any comments to make me feel better about the price? The amount of hours scares me, but the 45 day guarantee and having my mechanic friend take a looksie alleviates most of my concerns, but looking for more experienced opinions.
You're choice obviously. But would absolutely not pay that price for that

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are in the ballpark, although in the "nose bleed" seats (high) with the current NADA boat values.

20220331_071950.jpg

Last edited:

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Prices are crazy now. I bought a 21' AR190 last summer for $35k and you can't find a 21' now for less than $40-45k. There's even one dealer asking $50k for a 2019 model.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get prices are crazy but.....WOW that's a lot for a '15 SX190. I didn't pay that much for my '17 AR190 brand new off the lot.

Stupid boat market!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is probably more than I would pay for this boat, BUT if you are happy with the deal that is what is important. :winkingthumbsup"

All the small Yamahas come with painted trailers. At seven years, check to see if the wheel bearings have been repacked (grease cleaned and re-greased) or replaced. At 7 years it is also time to replace the tires on the trailer. They likely still have great tread, but tires will break down over time and need replaced.

Regarding the 45 day guarantee, I realize that this brings you peace of mind. Another possible route, however, would be buy a less expensive boat from a private seller and spend a couple of hundred dollars having a mechanic check the engine. NADA used boat prices are retail prices paid at a dealership. Buying a boat from a dealership is almost always more expensive than a private seller. Nothing wrong with buying from a dealer, but it is important to know that you pay extra to do so.

Jim

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get prices are crazy but.....WOW that's a lot for a '15 SX190. I didn't pay that much for my '17 AR190 brand new off the lot.

Stupid boat market!
There's some for sale in Florida as low as $20k but outside of Florida they all seem to be $30k+ (looking at boattrader)

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I find there are a lot more Yamahas listed on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist than Boattrader, so I would offer that a buyer should check all of these sources. Interestingly, AR190's seem a lot more common than SX190's, and there are sometimes better deals that can be found on these boats. I'm probably going the AR190 route and installing a passenger captain chair, as the wake tower is very useful in such a small boat even if one does not plan on towing with it.

Jim

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like our AR190. It does feel a bit slower than I'm used to, but honestly its not like I'm in a hurry to get anywhere. It's about a 30 minute ride to my favorite hangout and the majority of that is through speed controlled water. I also prefer the seating setup over a passenger captains chair, especially when I have a full load on the boat. I don't think you can go wrong with the AR or SX.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There's some for sale in Florida as low as $20k but outside of Florida they all seem to be $30k+ (looking at boattrader)
$30k asking prices are not selling prices. $20k is more realistic. As others have said, in the normal market, three years ago, this was a $15,000 used boat, no more. My buddy passed on a newer AR192 back then for $17K. NADA says, that's the market, but it's desperate buyers pushing the values up. It is what it is.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
These gas prices might start to really impact the used market if they remain high with these smaller/"less expensive" boats as the buyers of these boats often have less disposable income to spend on the fuel along with everything else that is more expensive these days. Only time will tell, but I think I would wait until mid summer to see what happens before buying a boat right now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These gas prices might start to really impact the used market if they remain high with these smaller/"less expensive" boats as the buyers of these boats often have less disposable income to spend on the fuel along with everything else that is more expensive these days. Only time will tell, but I think I would wait until mid summer to see what happens before buying a boat right now.
Double edged sword.

The 190's are cheap to tow and cheap to operate. Gas prices don't hit us quite as hard. Gas jumps from $3/gal to $4/gal and I'm out $30 additional for a weekend of fun. Doesn't move the needle much on a $500 weekend. Fuel in the car is the same way. I'm still within a tank of fuel drive of most weekend destinations. $20 more to fill up doesn't hit too hard on a luxury item.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the context of the current market, nada value, the 45 day warranty and inclusion of a cover and thrust vectors $30k seems like a fair price imho.

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reading this thread is almost unbelievable. May of 2020 I bought my brand new SX 190 for $31,650 out the door. Are things really this bad now??

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Zyglett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reading this thread is almost unbelievable. May of 2020 I bought my brand new SX 190 for $31,650 out the door. Are things really this bad now??
Yes, they are! I asked the guy how much a new SX190 was that was coming in this season. He said $46k. (msrp + all the other fees) :O

Zyglett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I find there are a lot more Yamahas listed on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist than Boattrader, so I would offer that a buyer should check all of these sources. Interestingly, AR190's seem a lot more common than SX190's, and there are sometimes better deals that can be found on these boats. I'm probably going the AR190 route and installing a passenger captain chair, as the wake tower is very useful in such a small boat even if one does not plan on towing with it.

Jim
I have checked those sources near me. I'm in Central WI, and even in a 500 mile radius I didn't find anything less expensive/competitive in price. :(