• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

303 High Tech Fabric Guard

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking for additional protection for my boat cover. I have the grey cover for my ar240. Would a water repellent on the cover help any? I would think it would, and also think that it probably has some sort of light coating from the factory?

Anyhow, I'm looking at this product, the Sunbrella 303 High Tech Fabric Guard.

upload_2015-5-29_18-18-38.png

Any other recommendations?

As always, thanks in advance.

Ed

I used 303 on my cover. Water runs off it like a river now.

I bought some PTFE waterproofing spray from Bass Pro Shops to spray on my old Yamaha cover. It waterproofed it great, the cover just disintegrated a couple months later on the road (no fault of the spray).

303 is great stuff. Water beads and runs right of my cover.

Thanks guys. This is the product I'm going to pursue!

Ed

I've used the 303 many times. If my gray cover gets some mildew, I wash it with a 3 to 1 water to bleach solution. When it dries I use a clean garden pump sprayer to apply it, then work it in with a disposable sponge mop. Apply and sponge in a section at a time and get the seems good.

I learned about this product last week and ordered some. It works great.

IMG_1104.JPG

Good stuff. I've found that brushing it on liberally works best. Pump sprayers make it fast but I don't think you get the long lasting coverage that way.

Good stuff. I've found that brushing it on liberally works best. Pump sprayers make it fast but I don't think you get the long lasting coverage that way.

Somewhere on here I had read to use one but hadn't seen the brush method. I did clean it first and it did clean up nicely. Let it dry thoroughly in the sun and then soaked it pretty good with a couple of passes with the product. Will try the other method next time if this doesn't last. I still have about a quart left.

Has anyone ever sprayed this on while the cover is on the boat? I'm thinking that that would be easiest, but I'm wondering if there is a downside?

I have spot sprayed the seams while it was on the boat. I was a little worried about it seeping through on the seat backs where the cover rests on them. The only other thing is that you would have to have at least a 6' ladder and move it around to get the whole cover.

Murf, how long does it usually last in your experience? I'm planning on doing this to my cover in the spring and was curious how many years you get out of 303...

Thanks @Bill D. I have the same concern with the 303 seeping through the seams. Ladders are no problem, but I think I'll probably do it with the cover off.

Murf, how long does it usually last in your experience? I'm planning on doing this to my cover in the spring and was curious how many years you get out of 303...
That's tricky to answer... it lasts longer on newer material, the older the material the less it repels water and the less time it lasts. My experience is primarily on Sunbrella fabrics in the S Florida sun and heat. Here, you might get 2 seasons out of a treatment on new material. After 3-5 years, I've noticed a drastic drop off of effectiveness.

Back