• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

303 Protectant

Hellacool

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on input here the 303 seems to be the best choice. I can source the protectant locally but not the cleaner. Is it essentail to use the 303 cleaner before the 303 protectant or will any good cleaner do? I am not sure if there is a chemical requirement to put one on then the other. I want to ensure my seats are clean before I apply the protectant.

Any good cleaner will do. You don't have to use 303 cleaner in order to use 303 protectant. Basically just apply 303 UV protectant to any clean vinyl surface and you're good to go. FWIW I use Mary Kate Ultimate Boat Vinyl Cleaner with my 303 Protectant.

Unlike the protectant, I don't think there's anything special about 303 cleaner

--

Thanks. I was just making sure there was no "activator" or some reason to use the pair. I am digging in this weekend and getting my vinyl ready for the summer.

No advise on the Yamaha, but on our old boat I would use clean soapy water and a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to get the vinyl nice and white again. Once clean I would hose down with 303 protectorant. Boat was 15yrs old when I got rid of it, and the vinyl still looked like new and always garnered compliments.

While many others have had great success with 303 - after using the guard it completely destroyed / deteriorated my cover. I was just as shocked as most folks are when I tell them this. I spent SEVERAL hours on the phone, emailing, filling out claims and physically mailing parts of my cover and the bottles back all at my own expense just to get the bottom of why. I mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't a bad batch or crazy reaction etc. They said they ran chemical tests etc. After a few weeks they went radio silent, took down my review on their site, ignored my emails and basically told me I was SOOL. Like I said - my situation is the anomaly however I found the customer service to be sub par and walked away extremely disappointed in the outcome.

The ownership of 303 brand has changed few years back and many people wondered if the quality will be compromised. I have not noticed any changes myslef, and have not heard of anything been off, convincingly.
That said, it is good to be vigilant.

@vxooxv How old was your cover? I remember reading somethign about it. Why did you use 303 protectant on it, just curious? Not that it should destroy it. But 303 aerospace protectant is KNOWN to not water proof, and specifically not indicated for application on covers.

--

@vxooxv this experience was with the 303 Fabric Guard correct?

upload_2017-5-12_13-29-21.png

The ownership of 303 brand has changed few years back and many people wondered if the quality will be compromised. I have not noticed any changes myslef, and have not heard of anything been off, convincingly.
That said, it is good to be vigilant.

@vxooxv How old was your cover? I remember reading somethign about it. Why did you use 303 protectant on it, just curious? Not that it should destroy it. But 303 aerospace protectant is KNOWN to not water proof, and specifically not indicated for application on covers.

--

About 2 years old. The cover was a bit dirty from the early sprint pollen. I figured I'd hose it off... give it a light scrub. Let it dry naturally in the sun. Apply some 303 for added protection. Literally 2 days later i could poke my index finger through anywhere on the cover.

I'm pretty sure it was 303 (30606) by label it's fabric guard, upholstery protector, water and stain repellent - same stuff different picture.
Fabric protector is totally different, NOT 30606.
I think we are talking about the 303 Aerospace Protectant here. They are pretty specific about fabric:
"This formula provides superior UV protection for any rubber, finished leather, plastic, vinyl, eisenglass, PVC, gel coat & fiberglass surfaces. Not for use on unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics (canvas) or floorings. "
https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B000XBCURW

You must have a picture of the label, after all the trouble. Can you share it, so that we can be forewarned? I buy this 303 stuff by a gallon, and I really want to know.

--

I’m a new Yamaha owner and I wanted to know if fabric guard 303 is safe for the seats.

We've found the 303 cleaner to be an unbelievable product. Every spring we spray down our interior with it, let stand a few moments, lightly scrub with a soft brush, hose off and towel dry with remarkable results. We'll then spray on 303 protectant, buff/wipe/remove remaining residue, and have never had issues with discoloring/staining of the interior. We love it :winkingthumbsup"

Attachments

• 303.jpg
    303.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 15
Back