• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3d printed parts

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@justason ..trade you a new scupper wrench for one of those "poor man's throttle sync... Lol

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Lspeedss I love and fully support the bartering system ! give me a few weeks between vacation and getting that gawd awful WHITE material used up for something improved ....like RED !!!

My co-workers made this for me this week. about 12" tall ...the base has 1/4" walls, the trophy is SOLID. took 40 hours to print and used 44 cu-in of material !!
upload_2014-6-12_8-30-0.png

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is sweet! Are all the Stanley Cup winners names engraved too? ;)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would be sweeter were he not really 40... ;)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello All, As much as I like to use this thread to display my "boat parts".. I wanted to share an amazing real use of this technology.

Last Friday I took a tour of the NCSU additive manufacturing lab: This place is cutting edge in the technology and development of printed parts, plastics and more-so metal parts.

Story 1: Augie the sea turtle: http://camal.ncsu.edu/update-augie-green-sea-turtle/#more-2047
in short this turtle was found with a open fracture on his flipper. A CAT-SCAN was made of the foot, this scan was made into a 3d model complete with flesh vs bone based on (scan) densities. From there a cast could be designed to custom fit the turtle. By printing both the CAT-SCAN model and cast on a 3d printer, fitments could be verified, resulting in a spot on solution when delivered......chk out the link above for tons of info on it.

story 2: The same CAT-SCAN technology is being applied to pets and people. Animals with lost limbs or cancerous joints are getting replacement via titanium printed parts.......but here's the amazing one:
A soldier serving overseas was severely wounded via an IED. The end result was a large part of his skull was remove (relieving swelling pressure). The CAT-SCAN yielded a 3d model 1:1 for his anatomy. This model was able to identify and match the perimeter of the hole. The computer then scanned the complete side of the skull and based on symmetry assumption was able to make a "patch". The part is a weave or open frame patch vs a solid plate to prevent cooking the brain on a sunny day. Material is a titanium blend.

We did not talk much about the last image rebuilding the eye socket or jaw, same approach.

upload_2014-7-28_10-7-23.pngupload_2014-7-28_10-7-46.pngupload_2014-7-28_10-8-21.png
upload_2014-7-28_10-8-47.png

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The trophy is awesome but I have great difficulty believing that you are 50. That must have been a joke!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The trophy is awesome but I have great difficulty believing that you are 50. That must have been a joke!
well thank you Bruce.....but no word a lie, Father time has spoken. If you still don't believe me I'll gopro my colonoscopy next week !!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll gopro my colonoscopy next week !!
No thank you!

But just a few weeks ago I remember this very active Dad diving, snorkeling, etc then partying at night with the twenty somethings!

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No thank you!

But just a few weeks ago I remember this very active Dad diving, snorkeling, etc then partying at night with the twenty somethings!
Yup I was napping while Eric was on the go! Happy birthday!!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No thank you!

Damn that sounds like fun!!! Wish I remembered it..

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Awesome Stuff. I have access to one at work and I've done a few things. I need to get better at the 3D design side. Are you using PLA or ABS? We've always used PLA but just got a heated deck and I'm going to start experimenting with ABS. I wish we had a machine with dissolvable material, using building material for supports makes it tough. It's amazing how good you can make ABS look with sandpaper and some acetone.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello @Big Shasta our machine here is ABS. we just ordered a new one that is ABS and Nylon.....I'll have to try the acetone trick

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey All, I went back to my previous employer recently. who now owns an upgraded 3d printer !! we recently purchased a pontoon boat and of course, it needed some parts designed and printed for it. primarily to hold the phone, a flashlight.

A few work parts thrown in, this was a 13 hour print. I'll measure my poor mans throttle sync, re engineer it , and get a couple printed up. We only have white plastic currently, but this stuff takes paint nicely.
boat-parts.jpg

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty cool stuff. I've been printing for a while as a hobby at home with an inexpensive printer, using PETG instead of ABS. It prints without a smell and is food safe. It's also available in many colors. Cheapest decent hobby printer is the mp mini, available for around $200. There are folks all over the US willing to print for a fee (not me, is too cheap to be worth it), you can find them at 3dhubs.com if you have a need for a part but don't want to spend the time and money on a printer of your own.

I've made a few things already I have broken even on mine, but it's very cheap to print to 3dhubs if you don't mind picking up the print in person.

Seeing it used in replacement body parts is very exciting!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 3D printer as well. Printing up a couple of spacers right now to keep the battery charger off the carpeted walls of the engine hatch, with some teeth to help bite into the carpet and spread the weight, so its not entirely pulling on the screws. Would love to see some other boat-related projects others have done! I thought about trying to reverse engineer the throttle-sync because thats pretty pricey for what it is, but I think I lack the design skill - hence the price. :)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thingiverse is a great place to see what others have done. I've built a plate to replace the wired remote, and printed some clips to snap closed the Bimini poles, also made an adaptor to fit on a steering wheel that would not otherwise fit.

There is a breaker box to fit a 12v breaker behind the scenes I also made to fuse my lenco tabs.

Lots of cool stuff out there.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hot off the printer. They'll be oriented differently hence the two different grip patterns.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
whats dat fer ?

My crown Jewell for a 3d print I need to get working on: I wanted to make custom bolts for the tower on my 212X.. right now they are large black rubber molded pieces with a bolt sticking out. I'm torn on making a cup and potting it, or using the cup as a mold to match whats there and them emboss the boats name into it ! BOOM !

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just installed a battery charger onboard - I wanted to keep the charger off the carpet a bit, so used these as spacers. Smooth side against the charger, grippy side into the carpet.