• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A Great Product to Clean the Boat Hull

Do you guys wax the hull below the waterline? I thought I read somewhere that this may actually slow the boat down?

Do you guys wax the hull below the waterline? I thought I read somewhere that this may actually slow the boat down?
If you are racing sailboats - yes it will slow you down. Or - if you are tuning for top speed, with everything else being perfect, waxed hull will slow you down.
But...
If you are like the rest of us - nothing to worry about!

I believe the general thought is that the wax will wear off fairly quickly due to the water passing along the hull.

I'm not a fluid dynamics expert, but I'd presume that the wax will fill in any micro pores and thus make the boat faster if anything.

I wax mine as I'm a believer in that it does provide protection to the hull and any protection on my investment is a good thing. It also gives me an opportunity to get down there and visually inspect the hull for any loose fittings, intake grates, or worse yet...gelcoat bubbles.

I wax mine as I'm a believer in that it does provide protection to the hull and any protection on my investment is a good thing. It also gives me an opportunity to get down there and visually inspect the hull for any loose fittings, intake grates, or worse yet...gelcoat bubbles.
That is what I do, too. The way to go for sure.

The speed issue is a bit different and may seem counter-intuitive. Wax increases surface tension (hence water beads off of it) and therefore slows the hull down. In fact, scoring it (as in scratching or sanding) creates a faster surface, and so does creation of small air bubbles traveling along the surface. I don't think any YJB owner needs to worry about that, it is strictly racing really. And our hull chines are creating some of the bubbling effect, I'm fairly certain that is by design by Yamaha.

That said, dirty hull is SLOW. Clean and waxed hull is FAST in comparison.

Makes sense. I just waxed my boat this past weekend, and only went down just beyond the waterline. Next time I'll be sure to wax the entire hull.

Back