• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About to buy Yamaha Ar210 need help

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Alright so i was set on buying a yamaha ar190. Turns out they got a yamaha ar210 2011. he said the boat has been maintained there the entire time. says has no clue of the hours. he ecourages me to have someone look at the boat if i dont feel safe which is no problem. he rated the boat an 8.5 -9.0 out of 10. said he personally knows the owner he buys alot of toys from the store. he said come look at it and put a deposit for a test ride. im worried about unkown hours and is the dealer screwing me. price is 25900 and he said with a beacon score at a 840 i should be around a 6-7-8 percent interest rate. isnt that alot of interst for fenominal credit. also does it pay to get used vs new? im just scared. im 21 years old and dont want to make the wrong move.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Christian Sciaulino welcome to the forum. I can't answer all your questions but check out this link for some great discussion on finance rates until some other members chime in on your questions. I was in the same delima when I purchase my boat. New or used. I ultimately went used as it was my first boat and found a decent rate of 4.95% from a local credit union. The additional finance costs outweighed the benefit of a new boat for me.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/latest-offer-from-yamaha-2-99-and-5-years-yes.4816/

Icatfish247

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Others will chime in and plenty of info out here on what to look for in a used boat but a few thoughts of my own:

- you should be able to get a better interest rate than that if you shop around(try credit unions as well). With your credit I would imagine 3-5 % is more likely

-paying a dealer/mechanic to check out the hours and code history is going to be well worth it in the long run if something suspicious comes up such as largely out of sync engine hours or multiple overheat alarms

-take the time to research various models in your price range. Yamaha 210, 212, & 230 should all be around with patience and you won't want to regret the purchase if you end up wanting bigger engines, or more/less boat depending where you plan to use it, etc..

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are some recent posts full of good pre-buy info. Remembering the days when I was 21. There is a pretty good size difference between the 210 and a 190, especially on a trailer. Consider your storage plans and current to tow vehicle capabilities too since both can be a big related expense.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright so i was set on buying a yamaha ar190. Turns out they got a yamaha ar210 2011. he said the boat has been maintained there the entire time. says has no clue of the hours. he ecourages me to have someone look at the boat if i dont feel safe which is no problem. he rated the boat an 8.5 -9.0 out of 10. said he personally knows the owner he buys alot of toys from the store. he said come look at it and put a deposit for a test ride. im worried about unkown hours and is the dealer screwing me. price is 25900 and he said with a beacon score at a 840 i should be around a 6-7-8 percent interest rate. isnt that alot of interst for fenominal credit. also does it pay to get used vs new? im just scared. im 21 years old and dont want to make the wrong move.
Welcome to the forum, you've found the best place on the net for these boats. Given a choices you have spelled out and what you shared about yourself...

Being 21 you probably have buddies and so you gotta get the bigger boat. Additionally, if you are financing, go with the lower $, which I'm guessing is the used 21'.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about hours on these boats, but look more carefully at the details... Does the used one look clean? Are there service records? Has the boat been modified? Are you buying it from a dealer? Have you checked (this) forum classified for a boat (likely older but could be better deal) where you can use this site to see more detail about its history, etc. A used older modded boat could include other goodies that you won't need to invest -- think upgraded audio, amps and such,

X2 for credit Union financing, you probably won't find better rates out there. Don't limit yourself to local, consider the net ... If you can meet the eligibility reqts.

Good luck with your research and your decision, personally speaking I spent a lot of time researching before pulling the trigger. Ask questions, we are here to help!

-Mark

Last edited:

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Woah thanks everyone for the quick replies. I almost pulled the trigger way back on a scarab that was fully loaded at a 49k boat. sick boat. I did alot of reasearch and decided not to. I was getting the boat for 41k out the door. Was sort of out of my price range for relistic numbers. I switched to the yamaha ar190 based off review life and just the overall boat and the amount the sell. great boat hands down. I was at the dealer and came across this AR210 and the dealer explained what i have to look for and i can pay 200 for a test and they can have a tech run all the reports on the engines for me. I got a pick up truck Nissan titan so i can tow no problem. I also want to stay away from credit unions only because assets are at risk. Worst case scenerio. is 2 engines better than 1? i mean its cheaper but used. i figure double the maintence. Im hand enough to do basics. Ive done rebuilds for my jetskis before but boats are little more challenging im guessing but most work will be done by me. the ar190 would fit in my garage but the 21 footer wont. i have to pull trigger this month on the ar190 because the finance rate at 2.99 if i do that boat. just more money. which is in budget no problem. but hey if i can get a bigger boat why not especially if tis cheaper. plus i could offer them probably 22,000. thats what dealer reccomended i do. then go for a test drive and if i like it then have them do the 200 dollar test for the engines.

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
i dont need the bigger boat. im just worried that in a year or 2 im gunna be like damn i want the bigger boat

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is that that a 210 is a much better place to start than a 190, i.e. Bigger is Better.

Checking the hours is just a matter of plugging the dealers computer into each engine and bringing up the screen. Similar to having codes read on a car. If the dealer is selling it I would think that they would be willing to spend the minutes required to check the hours.

Where is the boat you are looking at? Where are you? Perhaps there are members nearby that could be helpful. Many of us have cables to read the hours.

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
im in nj, the boat is located in wildwood nj. im by sixflags great adventure. he said there was no way to find out the hours. but maybe that service the said i could pay for includes that? im hoping... they seem to be straigtht foward with everything so far. I told him im in sales as well. just car sales so im not here messing around

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is this a Yamaha dealer? Finding the hours is a simple job for them. They just have to plug a YDS into it. I'm not sure I understand the concern about credit unions? What do you mean "assets are at risk"? Regarding the 210 - it's a great boat. I have a 2011 SX210. Love it. We have three young kids and a typical outing has our family of 5 and another family of 4 (also young kids) on the boat. Plenty of space. Obviously it will get tighter as the kids get bigger, but that's years away at this point. Ours has needed only basic maintenance, which is dead simple on these boats. Change the oil, change out the spark plugs, pump a bit of grease into a couple of fittings. There's really not much to it, two engines or not.

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
do they have to show me the hours to the boat? or what happens if they make me pay for it or dont show it at all?

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go with the bigger boat...you would be surprised how quickly you outgrow the smaller boat. Our first boat was an 18 footer and we felt cramped. It was mostly because the layout of the seats so we upgraded to our AR210. The Yamaha layout is great and we are loving it...getting ready for our second season in our 210. As far as the hours, like everyone says, A Yamaha dealer should be able to get it easily.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn't buy a new 19'. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but chances are you're going to want something bigger soon enough and it'll be alot harder to unload a new one than a used one. I bought an 18' last year, and a 24' this year. Had I bought a 21' last year, I probably would've kept it. It sounds like you're new to this, and as they say around here, buy your second boat first.

Wouldn't a 2011 AR210 have the hours displayed on the cluster?

And, as mentioned, you can do MUCH better on that finance rate with that beacon score.

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
alright you guys got me sold on the 21 footer, what is a good price for one and how many hours is normal for an 2011 in nj

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A 2011 will not show the hours on the gauge cluster. That started in 2012. I'm not sure the hours are really that big of a deal if the boat is in good condition and shows signs of being well maintained. It would be nice to know, of course, but a 2011 is new enough and NJ likely has a short enough season that it would seem very unlikely for it to have more than 150 hours of engine time. By all accounts, these engines will run for a long, long time if properly maintained. The beautiful part is that "properly maintained" is pretty easy with these things.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No such thing as normal hours it seems. I had my boat search narrowed down to 2 boats. a 2010 242 with 180 hours, and a 2011 242 with 17 hours. Both were in very good condition. I went with the 2011 just because it was practically brand new and almost the same price, but I would've been equally happy with the 201o I'm sure.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a tough question that'll be hard for anyone to answer but you. In all honesty, I think the 24' is way more boat than I'll ever need. But, I got a great deal and after a year with an 18', I knew I had to have more. I don't plan on buying another boat for a LONG time. I'm fairly confident I would've been equally satisfied with a 212SS. 21' seems like the perfect size boat, but I'm definitely not regretting mine yet ;)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, unless you need a smaller boat I suggest getting the largest boat you can. I bought a 2007 SX230 with 35 hours on it in 2013. I thought about upgrading to a 242 in 2014 but decided to invest in upgrades to the 230 instead.

YDS can read the hours on any four stroke Yamaha boat engine.