• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Access to Intermediate Bearing Zerk

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was about to add some grease to the intermediate bearing housing but I noticed that the access on my 2017 212X is extremely difficult compared to many of the pics I've seen posted. The zerk is less than 2" below the plastic I have circled in the picture. For reference, I've include a pic I high jacked from another thread - showing easy access. Anyone have a recommendation for getting a grease gun in this location? Maybe cut or drill the plastic - which doesn't seem to be serving much of a purpose.

212X Bearing Zerk.jpg SAM_0078.JPG

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought the longest hose I could find, so that I could lay the gun near the engine and just deal with reaching the zerk w/one hand while the other supports my weight for this game of twister. I remember reading about one JB member who lays a blanket on the engine and the cover is strong enough to hold his body weight. My method seems to work pretty well, if you find a place for your foot to balance as you reach with one hand to access the zerk.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You may want to forgo adding any grease to that bearing because it often does more harm than good.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You get a flexible whip attachment for your grease gun. That's what I did and it works great aside from still having to lay across the engine lol. I put my right foot along the side of the engine and us it to hold my weight while I lean over and pump in the grease. Mine is 18" long and is a good length for the job.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you actually see the top of the zirk?

On my 242, there’s a hose on top of the zirk that leads up to the top, left (as you’re looking at it) rear corner of the engine. The zirk up there has a little black plastic cover on it. I’d take a pic, but the boat is still in storage and not easily accessible.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you actually see the top of the zirk?

On my 242, there’s a hose on top of the zirk that leads up to the top, left (as you’re looking at it) rear corner of the engine. The zirk up there has a little black plastic cover on it. I’d take a pic, but the boat is still in storage and not easily accessible.
4 star / ULE / CA-compliant models get a hose while 3 star models get the fitting on the housing.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may want to forgo adding any grease to that bearing because it often does more harm than good.
Agree with Jeff. I would avoid adding grease, especially since it's only 1 year old. Adding too much grease can blow out the seals. The bearings themselves are hermetically sealed and never require grease. The grease is only a water barrier.

-Greg

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Matt - no, I can't even see the zerk. I'm going with Jeff's advice . Considering the bearing itself is sealed, and this is only providing a water barrier I'm not concerned. Water should never touch the housing....(famous last words!)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe they stopped using the hose at the end of the engine to discourage people from greasing the bearing , now they hid the thing so I did some posts about checking on the grease etc but that was before they hid the thing even more from what I am seeing here.
I'm close to 600 hours on mine with no issues.
And in the past I did ruin one over greasing it even though that one had the hose and fitting. I have posted pictures of that from time to time as well. I separated the thing , Apparently the hole from the grease fitting to the bearings goes directly through the rubber between them and over greasing the bearing can hydraulically separate the rubber from the aluminum housing, Talk about leaking water in the hull 'BIG TIME SERIOUS ISSUE"

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think I’ll hold off on lub’n that bearing I bought the service manual and it’s not listed for the 10 hr service.
Yes it is. Page 164 in your owner's manual.

image.png image.png

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Service manual vs owners manual wonder why they don’t match up