• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a Powered Subwoofer vs. Adding Another Amp

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, probably a goofy question upcoming……My current setup is that I have a 2500w 6 channel amp with six speakers connected to each port (four in the stock cabin position and two towers) all connected to the stock infinity head unit. Can I run a powered subwoofer and just plug it directly in to the head unit’s subwoofer rca outlet? Will this work or is there something I am overlooking? I was just trying to do this without adding another separate amp if possible.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, you just need to connect to the subwoofer RCA output and provide power wires to the sub's amp.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, you just need to connect to the subwoofer RCA output and provide power wires to the sub's amp.
What he said 👆🏻👆🏻

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
guessing you could also just wire the cabin speakers in parallel to free up 2 amp channels for a non-powered sub? depending on your amp being 2ohm stable...and if that didn't mess up your 'zones'

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys……what I was hoping to hear 😁.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@YoDaddy292 Did you ever try this? I recently had 4 swapped out the stock Polks for 4 new kicker speakers, added a 4-channel amp, got a new headunit, and had all this new stuff run with a 2nd battery. Curious about being able to add a subwoofer without calling my installer back.

Thanks guys……what I was hoping to hear 😁.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not yet. I am currently overseas but it’s all waiting for me to install the hen I get home next week.😁 I’ll keep you posted.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@YoDaddy292 Did you ever try this? I recently had 4 swapped out the stock Polks for 4 new kicker speakers, added a 4-channel amp, got a new headunit, and had all this new stuff run with a 2nd battery. Curious about being able to add a subwoofer without calling my installer back.
So I got it installed and it makes me happy. I went cheap since I wasn’t sure how it would do but it all sounds good. I just wired it and moved it all around the boat. I think I’ve decided under the flip-up bench seat behind the drivers side works best for us regarding space. Didn’t really seem to matter where I put it (out in the open, under the bench seat, in the console cubby) it seemed to sound the same.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t necessarily follow my lead here as it is not a marine amp……..but since it was inexpensive (cheap) but got good reviews I bought a Pioneer TS-WX1010A off of Amazon. I will say it matches up real nice with the sound I have coming out of my cheap system. Stock head unit, (4) Infinity 6.5 speaker, Rockville 2600w 6 channel amp, 8” Rockville towers ( do NOT ever buy these turds…..they make sound is the best I can say for them) and the Pioneer sub. I’m happy for now as I can hear my stereo above wfo with a little bit of thump.

Last edited:

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the Rockville 8” towers and I get nothing but compliments about them. I wanted kickers to match the rest in my boat but the price went up right when I tried to purchase them. But the Rockville came with a warranty so if I blow them I’ll install kickers in the Rockville cans.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I wouldn’t necessarily follow my lead here as it is not a marine amp……..but since it was inexpensive (cheap) but got good reviews I bought a Pioneer TS-WX1010A off of Amazon.
You might not have good longevity with it...that subwoofer cone is made of cellulose fiber which is basically paper and shouldn't be used in high humidity areas. Inside a vehicle it'll do ok, but I wouldn't expect it to last on a boat.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might not have good longevity with it...that subwoofer cone is made of cellulose fiber which is basically paper and shouldn't be used in high humidity areas. Inside a vehicle it'll do ok, but I wouldn't expect it to last on a boat.
I don’t expect it to. It really was for the experiment to see if it would work. Now that I’m wired and it all works I’ll just enjoy it for the summer then replace it with a nice marine thumper in the winter (if it lasts that long 😂).

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought the Rockville 8” towers and I get nothing but compliments about them. I wanted kickers to match the rest in my boat but the price went up right when I tried to purchase them. But the Rockville came with a warranty so if I blow them I’ll install kickers in the Rockville cans.
Kickers on sale crutchfields right now

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t expect it to. It really was for the experiment to see if it would work. Now that I’m wired and it all works I’ll just enjoy it for the summer then replace it with a nice marine thumper in the winter (if it lasts that long 😂).
I’ve had a cheap powered sub “car audio” in the same compartment. It doesn’t give me a lot of thump, but it does help round the sound out a bit. The cone is some kind of plastic I think. 3 yrs no problems, but now looking for another amp and IB sub to replace it. Want more punch lol

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking this thread may be helpful for me. I recently swapped out the 4 stock Polks for 4 new kicker speakers, added a 4-channel amp, got a new headunit, and had all this new stuff run with a 2nd battery. I wasn't sure about a sub at the time. Kinda wish I'd gotten an amp with another channel for a potential sub in the future. But this thread makes it sound like I can have a powered sub run into the headunit and run power to it.