• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding bushings to steering deflector nozzle to increase precision (remove slop)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...but no AC...

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What @Bruce doesn't have is an ice maker!!:winkingthumbsup"

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Or a boat payment.....Yet!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok guys, this mod rocks.

At speed I noticed the boat reacted much faster when I turned the wheel and that I was turning the wheel less to make the same turns that I have made many times in the past.

At low speed @Rana noticed much more precision loading her on the trailer.

This is a big win!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! I am truly surprised. Another mod to add to the list...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! I am truly surprised. Another mod to add to the list...
I hope that someone will replicate the project and find similar results. It could be a placebo effect but it certainly felt better to us.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat (2016 SX190) turns really well to the right, but not as aggressively to the left. This is with a well balanced boat.

Do you think this mod would help that? I checked the jet and it wiggles just like the before video above.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat (2016 SX190) turns really well to the right, but not as aggressively to the left. This is with a well balanced boat.

Do you think this mod would help that? I checked the jet and it wiggles just like the before video above.
I believe it would help but you also need to verify that your jet is aligned correctly when the steering wheel is centered and has equal movement to left and right when the steering wheel is turned.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
added to the FAQ under "how to make your boat steer / track better"

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the manual there is a linear measurement done with a tape measure. Basically it is a measurement of the steering linkage hole when the steering wheel is centered. Easy to do. Mine was out 1/2". Cam.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mine are fairly sloppy. I'll have to give this a try.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Question, would I need to drill out the bushings or find a new bolt that fits better?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question, would I need to drill out the bushings or find a new bolt that fits better?
You could use a smaller bolt instead of drilling out the bushings. But doing so would reduce the strength of the bolt and increase the gap between the bolt and the diameter of the holes in the fork which I believe would negate any gains from using the bushing.

I see three ways to do this effectively; drill out bushings to fit, find a bushing that fits or drill out the holes in the fork and use a larger diameter bolt removing the need for the bushing.

I tried to find a bushing that would fit before deciding to drill my own. It is likely that some sort of plastic tubing could be used as the bushing or perhaps small copper pipe.

I considered drilling the holes in the forks larger to use a larger diameter bolt. This would be the easiest and least expensive option but not knowing if I would like the change I decided against this route.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce I have followed your lead on this. Almost. I bought a different bearing that fits 1/4" bolt and drilled out the hole on the steering assembly. The bearing required a 3/8" hole, which I believe is only slightly larger than factory. The factory hole seemed to be somewhere between 11/32" and 23/64". :confused: I was not able to find this bearing on eBay, so it cost me more than $9, but I'll be interested to see how it performs with the "Frelon" liner.

This is the bearing I used and the mfg part number. Here is a link to the bearing on McMaster-Carr which has a good drawing for dimensions.
IMG_0226.JPG

Once I drilled the hole out, I was able to press the bearing in with a clamp.
IMG_0227.JPG

This is all that remained of the plastic bushings that were in there, so I expect a significant improvement.
IMG_0228.JPG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bill D, that looks great. I considered that option but decided not to drill out the steering nozzles until I knew it was a good thing.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, it made me a little nervous to drill out the nozzle, but i didn't really remove that much material. I suppose worst case, I can drill out the forks and move up a size on the bolts. But I'm optimistic that this will work out awesome. I'll update this post when I get everything out back together.

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have my boat handy. So if I pick up a 1/4 inch bolt can anyone tell me what length and what length bearing or bushing to pick up?

It is a 30-40 min ride from where our boat is to any parts store. I plan on checking the alignment of my nozzles this weekend and will complete this at the same time.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is the technical drawing of the bearing I used. The OD was slightly bigger than the original hole on the steering nozzle. (Maybe 1/16"?)

upload_2017-3-23_8-56-58.png

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce and @Bill D Are you guys still happy with his mod? Thinking of trying doing it too.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll report back after this weekend. Believe it or not, this is the first time we've had the boat in the water since I completed the mod.