• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding SiriusXM to 2020 242SE

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can someone please explain to me exactly what I need to do to add SiriusXM to my 2020 242SE and be able to control it from my Connezt screen? I do not want to Bluetooth it from my phone! Thanks in advance.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can't comment about the connects screen, but regarding SiriusXM connecting, does your radio have a SiriusXM mode, just like it would for an AM and FM channel? If so, once you're in that mode, you should be able to scroll through some of the options until you find the radio ID, which would appear on your screen. That's the number you need when signing up for Sirius online. Not sure if this is the kind of information you're looking for though.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just to add to that, my 2012 was already equipped for satellite radio. Maybe check yours before purchasing a receiver. IDK.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll have to look and see if it says Sirius on the front of the Fusion unit. I forgot to do that this weekend. I do know that the Connext screen did not say it on there.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After installing my Fusion Unit, I found it was a very generic part. The Receiver can be purchased anywhere. I ordered my Fusion from Crutchfield, as pricing is fixed. I did get the receiver from Amazon.

I did call into SXM prior to purchase to find out my options. They were able to transfer my sub over to the new radio, and bargained to do it for free. You can get 6 mo of SXM for $30, Just be sure to cancel it before it renews at full price. Heck, they give you a pro-rated refund at the end of the season!

BTW, Channel 0 is your radio ID.

PS: Be sure to load the Fusion Link app on your phone. It's a great wireless remote to control all aspects of the Fusion head unit, if that is what you have.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where did you guys install your antenna? I was hoping the factory “puck” had an SXM antenna built into as well.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seriously, unscrew the puck, just enough to slide the little magnetic antenna through, and leave it lay on the deck. It's heavy enough that it won't flop around, and you can always adjust it just enough, in case the tower blocks it. Mine has laid there for years without issue.

There is nothing metal up there for it to stick to, as everything is aluminum.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great news: I just pulled the manual out of my boat bag and it says that I have the Fusion MS-RA70NSX, which is the SiriusXM compatible model. I need to add the above tuner mentioned, and an antenna, and I should be good to go! Thanks guys.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed the same exact radio. The tuner includes the antenna. And it's super easy to install. Literally, plug it in.

$42.93 shipped Amazon Prime!

If you have an existing Subscription, they will want to charge you $15 to move the sub to the new Radio ID. Just tell them no, you would like to cancel, XM will send you a refund, and then you sign up again with free activation, and possibly a free trial till the end of the summer. At that point, they will agree to move the sub for free.

You can look at my write up on this Fusion head unit. But it buffers XM, for track skip and also lets you do Tune Mix, which will blend multiple Xm stations for custom music mixes to help avoid the frumpys in the boat not liking your music.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You do not see XM on the Connext screen tho do you? How do you play XM if that is not an optional source? My Fusion Headunit is XM Ready, but the Connext is not.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with the factory setup, but I'm pretty sure they are using NMEA 2000 connectivity to the Connext. So whatever the radio can do, should come up there.

That being said, when I installed my RA-70NSX, there was no option for XM, until the tuner was installed. Worst case, you run it from the head unit, or the Bluetooth app. Fusion-Link

I should have connected that network to my Simrad, but it made no sense, as they are right above and below each other. But the connectivity and options should be similar.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with the factory setup, but I'm pretty sure they are using NMEA 2000 connectivity to the Connext. So whatever the radio can do, should come up there.

That being said, when I installed my RA-70NSX, there was no option for XM, until the tuner was installed. Worst case, you run it from the head unit, or the Bluetooth app. Fusion-Link
Unless it can be a source on the Connext, I might as well run it from my phone ;-)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Like mentioned, the source does not come up on the head unit till you connect it. At that time, it should show up on the connext.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Connext doesn't show the SiriusXM info, only on the head unit at the stern. The Fusion app is OK, but user interface could be better. I mounted my antenna just next to the GPS one ahead of the windshield. I did end up putting a sheet of stainless steel under it (inside the helm cabinet) and that pretty much knocked out any dead zones. I've got a 2020 242LSe.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is a bummer for sure. A person would have thought that info could have been integrated

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the same exact radio. The tuner includes the antenna. And it's super easy to install. Literally, plug it in.

$42.93 shipped Amazon Prime!

If you have an existing Subscription, they will want to charge you $15 to move the sub to the new Radio ID. Just tell them no, you would like to cancel, XM will send you a refund, and then you sign up again with free activation, and possibly a free trial till the end of the summer. At that point, they will agree to move the sub for free.

You can look at my write up on this Fusion head unit. But it buffers XM, for track skip and also lets you do Tune Mix, which will blend multiple Xm stations for custom music mixes to help avoid the frumpys in the boat not liking your music.
Where did you mount the black puck antenna? Can you put it inside the boats fiberglass so it is protected from the elements and still get reception? TIA

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where did you mount the black puck antenna? Can you put it inside the boats fiberglass so it is protected from the elements and still get reception? TIA
I actually had an xm antenna I was using on the fiberglass, but I swapped it for the little black magnetic puck, as it’s easier to move around in case the tower is blocking it.

Don’t worry about the elements, as these are designed for outdoor use and to be stuck to the roof, trunk of a car. I leave mine hang loose out of the GPS antenna just in front of the starboard side windshield. It has slack so I can adjust as needed.