• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding SiriusXM to 2020 242SE

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually had an xm antenna I was using on the fiberglass, but I swapped it for the little black magnetic puck, as it’s easier to move around in case the tower is blocking it.

Don’t worry about the elements, as these are designed for outdoor use and to be stuck to the roof, trunk of a car. I leave mine hang loose out of the GPS antenna just in front of the starboard side windshield. It has slack so I can adjust as needed.
So you used the antenna that came with the SiriusXM SXV300v1 kit? I am curious how you got the wire from the rear head unit up to the starboard side, and the antenna cable that came with the kit was long enough to reach that?

Sorry for all the questions, this is one of the first projects I plan to tackle this Spring when we get the boat out of dry storage.

TIA

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So you used the antenna that came with the SiriusXM SXV300v1 kit? I am curious how you got the wire from the rear head unit up to the starboard side, and the antenna cable that came with the kit was long enough to reach that?

Sorry for all the questions, this is one of the first projects I plan to tackle this Spring when we get the boat out of dry storage.

TIA
On the earlier 242’s, the head unit is in the console next to the wheel. So everything was under the dash, it was no issue. the antennae cable is actually long enough to run most of the length of the boat. To be honest, the antennae only needs to be high enough to get view of the Southern sky and it will work.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the earlier 242’s, the head unit is in the console next to the wheel. So everything was under the dash, it was no issue. the antennae cable is actually long enough to run most of the length of the boat. To be honest, the antennae only needs to be high enough to get view of the Southern sky and it will work.
Thanks, yeah looks like my 2020 ar240 the plug for the tuner is on the rear unit at the stern/swim deck which seems strange.

So I would essentially want to run the antenna to the dash as I can’t think of a spot to mount on the back of the boat that I would be happy with. If the antenna could get reception through the fiberglass I would mount inside the boat near the back but guessing that would interfere with reception.

Top bad Yamaha doesn’t work a deal with SXM and just include all this with the radio as is like they do with most vehicles these days.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can test it through the gelcote, it may work just fine. I never did, as it was the tower blocking signal more than anything.

Those of us that appreciate XM, can't understand why it's not included. Those that stream everything, don't understand why they have to pay for it, and deal with another device mounted to their boat. So it goes both ways.

Honestly, on the fusion head unit, the capabilities with XM are so much cooler than streaming, and even XM in my truck. You can mix channels, and create channel mixes for the demographics of who is on the boat. For example, I have a mix of stations for all adults, all kids, or a mix, and it buffers and mixes the channels. And it works on lakes where cell coverage is spotty. I don't have to DJ all the time either, it just creates the mix and we listen to what comes.

Having the big Fusion wired remote is nice too, let alone the app. When the kids do want to stream, they load the app and have full control of the stereo from the bow or wherever they land. I can still be cool at 51, they don't have to admit it.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can test it through the gelcote, it may work just fine. I never did, as it was the tower blocking signal more than anything.

Those of us that appreciate XM, can't understand why it's not included. Those that stream everything, don't understand why they have to pay for it, and deal with another device mounted to their boat. So it goes both ways.

Honestly, on the fusion head unit, the capabilities with XM are so much cooler than streaming, and even XM in my truck. You can mix channels, and create channel mixes for the demographics of who is on the boat. For example, I have a mix of stations for all adults, all kids, or a mix, and it buffers and mixes the channels. And it works on lakes where cell coverage is spotty. I don't have to DJ all the time either, it just creates the mix and we listen to what comes.

Having the big Fusion wired remote is nice too, let alone the app. When the kids do want to stream, they load the app and have full control of the stereo from the bow or wherever they land. I can still be cool at 51, they don't have to admit it.
Age is just a number!

I've had XM in our vehicles for years. We did the streaming over BT last season in the boat but it just isnt the same, buffering and then phone overheating all the time. Those are reasons enough for us to get the tuner. Nobody has to mess with my phone then, it doesnt overheat, and music isnt interrupted with calls/texts/etc.

After the XM stuff is settled it is on to speakers, which I am sure there are tons of threads about lol

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is it hard to get the unit out of the stern platform? And then do I just tuck the tuner in behind it? How does it get powered, the tuner? Then how do I get the antenna wire from back there all the way up to my GPS puck on starboard in front of windshield (where I plan to just Velcro the XM antenna to the deck next to the puck)? Thanks.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is it hard to get the unit out of the stern platform? And then do I just tuck the tuner in behind it? How does it get powered, the tuner? Then how do I get the antenna wire from back there all the way up to my GPS puck on starboard in front of windshield (where I plan to just Velcro the XM antenna to the deck next to the puck)? Thanks.
I don't know if this will help you at all because I have an older boat (2012) and my comments relate to when I was installing a stern remote. When I did that, I gained access to wires by removing the rear cup holder, the rear speaker and the round access hole cover on the starboard side wall which is inside the engine compartment. There's where I found a few additional aux cords already installed and there was one already labeled as stern remote. I'm assuming you can tie into one of these cords for power. You will also see how those cords run all the way up to the dash. You could just follow that same rout for your antenna perhaps.

Attachments