• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adjustable Seat Pedestal Install

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is a post about installing a new seat pedestal on the 2014 AR210.

Unless the air temperature is cold, I ride on the bolster. After putting 50 hours on the boat the bolster started to act funny: not folding up and down smoothly and falling down under the backrest. I don't think I put an undo amount of strain on the bolster at 188lbs. I pulled the seat off the pedestal and removed the bolster to find that the plastic arms are just not strong enough to do their job. The plastic was bending and causing the circular extensions to bend out and not ride in their track thus causing the above mentioned problems. I couldn't think of a way to fix it short of sistering up flat stock metal to the thin plastic so I decided to go another route and install an adjustable pedestal thereby negating the need for a bolster.
I decided to go with the Wise 8WP21-374 pedestal. I chose a manual (not gas operated) version because of the KISS principle and because of the lower price. It adjusts up and down by pulling a pin and tightening a knob and it also slides back and forth.

Getting to the bolster for removal involves removing one screw on the bottom of the seat towards the rear which allows the bottom cushion to flip up allowing access to two screws holding the bolster to the seat. I left the bolster off because, on the new pedestal, even with the seat slid all the way back, there is not enough room between the seat and the steering wheel to get in and out easily.

Removing the original pedestal from the floor required an 18v impact wrench as I just couldn't loosen the screws manually. They are #3 phillips.

Installation of the new pedestal was easy as the hole pattern lined up.

Attachment of the pedestal to the seat was easy as the hole pattern also lined up. There are 4 hex head screws.

The bolster below showing the bent plastic arms:
IMG_0873.JPG

One of two screws holding the bolster to the seat:
IMG_0872.JPG

The height of the original pedestal from the floor - 10.5":
IMG_4419.jpg

The new pedestal adjusts from 13" to 19":
IMG_4449.jpg IMG_4447.jpg

Installation complete and raised to full height:
IMG_4467.JPG

I'm enjoying it so far and the only complaint I have is that it creaks at the post/base connection so I will come up with a way to remedy it.

When it's hotter than hell and humid as a sauna (like it is here all summer) I prefer to ride up high in the wind so the seat will stay like this most of the time. It gets my view up over the windshield, I rest my arm on the wake tower and prop a leg up on the dash for extra airflow to the nether regions.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Very nice! I usually ride just as you described. I haven't had an issue with the bolster yet but I'll be copying what you did when the time comes.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice work. Does anyone know if there is a bolster bracket we can use that puts the cushion towards the sky, instead of facing the back of the seat, leaving me to sit on what equates to the edge of the plywood base?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great write up @Rideitout I've done the exact same thing (installed adjustable pedestal & removed bolster) on my older vintage boat and love it that way. Im sure you will too. You're write up will help a lot of guys who are considering the same mod on the newer style boats.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rideitout , nice! Another soon to be essential mod... Thanks... :)

Seriously, how stable does it feel at full height? I find the stock one a bit wobbly sometimes.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It wobbles a little like the stock seat and I was wondering about some sort of hard plastic shim that could go between the post and the part that sits on the post that would make for a tighter fit.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Crane Interiors

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crap......it got this

image.jpg

I'm Going to look into a post as well, I'm getting too old to balance on the bolster.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crane Interiors
Roger that. I think Crane is the company who covers the seats. I believe that Wise Seats makes the actual seat frame and was looking to confirm that.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I never considered it being a separate company who made the seat frame. I would actually rather use the bolster than the adjustable pedestal because of the ease of height change. If the plastic arms were more solid or made of metal, it would probably work as it should.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where did you find the one gas operated version @Rideitout , and do you think that would make it easier/quicker to go up/down? With the lack of bolster, do you find it easier to stand and drive your boat (if you ever do)? It seems like kind of a tight squeeze now, although I never really paid attention if I was against the bolster or seat base.

@0627Devildog , that may be your plastic already failing. Mine was comfortable, until we got about 1/2 way to Bimini this year. Then, I believe the plastic bent a little, causing the bolster to go back further, and I was sitting on the base. By the time we got back, my bolster was so far back it took 2 of us to flip it back forward, and it broke one of the plastic arms completely.

I'm still gonna work on repairing mine, but I'm really liking this idea alot.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking about this today, as I sit uncomfortably on the bolster all the time. Then, ta da your post is here. Thanks for the info.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I was looking at a gas rise pedestal like this Garelick:
http://www.iboats.com/12-15-Adjustable-Low-Seat-Pedestal-Garelick/dm/view_id.713706?cm_mmc=Google_Main-_-Mall+Product+Listings:Google-_-+:Mall+Product+Listings:Google-_-Garelick&gclid=CMPzpd_Ghr4CFYqFfgody2sAuA

I imagine the ease of the up and down movement would be like an office chair. If I wanted to spend the extra money above the cost of the manual pedestal I probably would have gotten it. That was the main reason against purchasing it.

Typically if I stand and drive, I am standing more toward the middle of the boat so the seat isn't in the way. I do wish both my current pedestal and the original pedestal went farther back. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam so I tend to like my seats far back.

One good thing about the new pedestal is that it makes the seat sit above the passenger cushion behind it, not tight up against it. This allows easier access when lifting out the cushion. It was always tight with the original low seat.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"One good thing about the new pedestal is that it makes the seat sit above the passenger cushion behind it, not tight up against it. This allows easier access when lifting out the cushion. It was always tight with the original low seat."

^Yes. I agree. After pulling in toward a dock today and not being able to open the rear corner to get bumpers and dock lines out I was frustrated. One more reason I like this mod.

Landrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great forum topic.

I have a Yamaha ar192 and was also very dissatisfied with the driver seat orientation. The oem pedestal system is made by Springfield and is basically a fixed height (6") low profile 2nd generation style model. I replaced it with the same wise model as Rideitout. Holes lined up fine and I was able to reuse the exact hardware.

I kept my bolster extension intact. At the min height of 12" I can sit and see over the windshield or turn up the bolster and stand/leaning against the seat. The only downside is that the lowest setting puts me over the windshield so there is no way for me to escape the wind if I need to (unless I slouch which I don't want to do). Since I am sitting over windsheild 95% of the time, I'm ok with the replacement.

For my model boat the ideal height range would be adjustable from 7-12", but could not find anything like that except for the Springfield 1250456-L @ $245 which is 10-12".

Advise is welcome.

Thanks
-Mike

Attachments

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@0627Devildog , that may be your plastic already failing. Mine was comfortable, until we got about 1/2 way to Bimini this year. Then, I believe the plastic bent a little, causing the bolster to go back further, and I was sitting on the base. By the time we got back, my bolster was so far back it took 2 of us to flip it back forward, and it broke one of the plastic arms completely.
Am I missing something or are our bolsters supposed to simply flip up 90 degrees? I find when i flip it up I am sitting on the edge of the plywood underbelly. It is ridiculously uncomfortable.

The picture @Landrew posted above appears to show what a TRUE bolster SHOULD do. . . . Fold Back and rotate so the padding is UP.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For my model boat the ideal height range would be adjustable from 7-12",

Advise is welcome.
Why not simply cut the post?

Landrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@devildog... Regarding the wise replacement pedestal system; The base and pedestal post with height adjustment is one piece. The adjustment knob for height is within an inch of the top of the pedestal. Cutting that down any more than 1 inch would also cut away the adjustment knob thus rendering the pedestal unusable. If the pedestal post could be removed from the base, cut from the bottom, then fastened back to the base, ...your idea would work. But it not designed that way.

Going to call Springfield tomorrow and see if they have any recommendations. Perhaps they manufactured a part for another boat as oem that will meet my requirements.

Re: bolster
The bolster seat functions, but it's not the most comfortable position for all day activity. There is no back support. Bolster down and seat high, gave all-day comfort and held me in place when navigating the wake of the big boats on the Delaware.

Fyi: I'm only 5'9" so bigger dudes with the same model boat may be perfectly satisfied with this replacement.

-Mike

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just looking at my seat pedestal today, so Im surprised to see you wrote about it tonight. Great info, please share what you find out.