• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adjustable Seat Pedestal Install

Landrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spoke to a rep at Springfiled. He said in order to get into the lower adjustment ranges, such as 9-15, I need to get the adjustable style that goes below the deck. For the Yamaha ar/sx 190/192 boats, this means drilling a 3" diameter hole in your deck, at the center of the mounting base. He said the mount holes for fastening the base will line up perfectly. Here is the link to the one I am considering:
http://www.cascadedepot.com/mainstay-thru-the-deck-pedestal-with-seat-mount-8-75-14-5/

I called my dealer to see if they can help me determine if there is enough clearance below the deck to accommodate the post when it is recessed below the deck (for the lower height setting). The specs say I need 5.6" depth clearance. Visually inspecting that area I think it's no problem but I am not sure if there are fuel lines or other components under the deck at that location.

Waiting to hear back from them. I should probably put a call in to Yamaha as well.

-Mike

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am watching this thread closely. I am already on my second captain's seat replaced by Yamaha through warranty. Now that I am out of warranty, the next time I have issues, I might just go this route. Thanks for posting!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the update. I didn't even know that a recessed post existed but thats what I was thinking of today. I guess I should be doing my part and researching the interwebs looking for one that'll work for us.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Am I missing something or are our bolsters supposed to simply flip up 90 degrees? I find when i flip it up I am sitting on the edge of the plywood underbelly. It is ridiculously uncomfortable.

The picture @Landrew posted above appears to show what a TRUE bolster SHOULD do. . . . Fold Back and rotate so the padding is UP.
To answer your question @0627Devildog, yes the padded bolster top should remain on top regardless of it's position. You do seem to be sitting on the edge. I respect your tolerance for pain though.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To answer your question @0627Devildog, yes the padded bolster top should remain on top regardless of it's position. You do seem to be sitting on the edge. I respect your tolerance for pain though.
I have the same problem with a sore but after hours of sitting on the flawed design bolster seat. I came close to pulling the trigger on the garelick pedestal but didn't like where the adjustments left me in terms of height. I need to try putting the square throw cushion on the bolster or maybe two throw cushions in the seat to see if that works.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So does anyone have any pics of a 14' AR240HO with the seat bolster seat folded back and the padding up?

Landrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update on my progress determining if the ar/sx 190/192 can take a below deck pedestal:
I called Yamaha. After 40 min of being on hold listening to poor quality music track, the support rep told me that I need to ask my dealer. They said they do not field tech questions from end users. They said the service manual has that info, but then they would not sell me the manual because I am not a Yamaha dealer. Hope this nugget of info helps others.

My dealer has not returned my email regarding this issue yet. I will give them another day and then follow up with a phone call.

-Mike

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a copy of the service manual, if you PM me your email Ill send it to you.

Landrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the manual njmr2fan. Unfortunatly I was not able to determine if the space under the deck has enough clearance from the manual. However, my dealer informed me that in such a case, they would consult Yamaha, and if cutting the hole in the deck voided any part of the warrantee, then I would need to consent (if the dealer did the install). My dealer advised me not to make any structural changes that can not be undone while the boat is under warrantee. I still have 4 more years of warrantee, so I am going to try another strategy for getting a top mount with the range I want (approx 9-12").

If your ar/sx 190/192 is no longer under warrantee, I would remove the pedastal base and try probing a long screw driver or coat hanger through the 6 fastener holes in order to determine if there is anything obstructing the space under the deck. I will do this the next time I remove the base and post my conclusions.

Regarding the wise replacement seat:
After using the adjustable wise seat a few times, I decided to return it. I found it to be a bit cumbersome when trying to rotate and slide. And despite how hard I clamped the friction lock knob, it kept rotating about 20 degrees while driving in rougher water. The original pedestal had lock slots that kept the seat straight. With that said I just ordered a Springfiled Second Generation Posi Lock Pedestal 11.75" to 14.75". This will allow me to use my original swivel/slider hardware, and the second generation model supports the lock slots. The range is about the same as the wise pedastal system, but I think this design may allow me to trim the base down. Will explore that once I receive it. Total cost with shipping was about $90.

-Mike

Landrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: I received and installed the new Springfield pedastal. Everything fits perfectly swivel/slider hardware as expected. The only downside of the pedastal is that it does not clamp to reduce the wiggle. There is a slight wiggle between the sliding post and the stationary post, unlike the Wise pedastal. Though, the Wise pedastal did make a creeping sound. So I guess there really is no ideal replacement. Again, I am about 5'9" and the ideal range for my size is probably about 8-12" adjustment.

On the bright side, I did examine the construction of the new Springfield and I do thing it can be trimmed down. I will explore that at the end of the boating season. My goal will be to trim the range from 12-15", to 9-12". If you are 6' tall or more, then you can probably just use this pedastal out of the box, but you will not be able to duck under the windshield if you so desire.

Regarding the space under the deck for a below deck mount: I used a coat hanger and fished it through the mount holes in the deck. There definitely was something there preventing me from probing below the deck. So my conclusion is that you can not put a 3" hole to accommodate a below deck mount.

-Mike

Attachments

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still curious about this @Landrew, and wonder how you're making out with it.

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread but thank you for the write ups guys, I just ordered the 1240748-MLNS from Black bear sporting goods for just about $83 after tax and shipping.

Can't wait to get this installed!

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Gonna watch this one. Only a matter of time until I start having seat issues.

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just replaced mine the other weekend. The only downside is that on cold days I will never be below the windshield. I prefer to ride above anyway, but just FYI.

It was easy to install but you definitely need to remove the bolster in order to have room to enter and exit the seat properly as the steering wheel gets in the way.

Probably easier for others but I'm 6'3 so it was a pain in the ass until I did that.

Also, the seat does wobble a little more than the stock, going to look at wrapping something around the post to act as a shim to tighten that connection up.

Yamaha mama

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread but thank you for the write ups guys, I just ordered the 1240748-MLNS from Black bear sporting goods for just about $83 after tax and shipping.

Can't wait to get this installed!
Aaron curious how this worked for you?

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It worked out great. Slightly wobbly because it sits higher and is adjustable but when riding you don't notice.

You will need to remove bolster from seat because there is very little room for your legs between the seat and the steering wheel with bolster attached.

Easy, functional, and cheap upgrade.