• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice on repairing gouges in tower

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
image.jpeg I took off my racks to replace them with swivel racks and a kneeboard rack when I noticed these deep gouges in the tower. I smoothed the burs off with a dremel so I don't cut myself again. Should I fill with JB Weld, sand, and paint with a textured paint? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I assume the new rack won't sit over the scratch? I'm not sure how it would match up, but Plasti-Dip is very good. Here is a picture of what it looks like when it dries.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a hard one to paint and make it so it doesn't stand out.

Maybe apply a band of black 3M grip tape over the scratch. Put a matching band on the other side to be symmetrical.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I wish I could just cover it up with the new racks, but the rack is 1/2 inch to large for this portion of the tower. Matching racing stripes on each side?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I might see what Plastidip looks like. Always reversible.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Walmart also sells crinkle paint. Would look the same and not wear off.

I actually like the stripe accent idea, maybe in a color!?!? @Murf'n'surf

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you get a smaller attachment mount from your rack manufacturer? Then you may be able to put the new rack over the old location.

When I bought my rack a few years back, I originally ordered the incorrect diameter mounting bracket. A couple quick emails to the rack manufacturer and a week later I had correct size mount and sent the original one back.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My wakeboard racks came with rubber inserts that adjusted the size to whatever I wanted. I would probably buy some rubber to make it fit on the smaller pole. The rubber also grips it well.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Cover in pool noodles?
I know I have seen one like that before because of the way the racks would go to swing out of the way and the tower laid down.
Sadly, doing a search "pool noodle mods" just brings up a bunch of Yamaha boat pictures from people's signatures.o_O

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I had ordered the monster swivel racks. They are too big for the rear rack mounting area. I'm going to order a different set of swivel racks for the 1 7/8 rear tower mount. Gotta return the monsters but that's ok. Thanks for advice. Monster swivel racks were too bulky anyways. Too many parts that made it kind of wobbly.