• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice on sale of jetski

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have an 08 seadoo rxp I will be selling come spring. . It has 80 hours on it, and the supercharger rebuild is due at 100 hours. When I listed it late in season this year, people beat me up about it needing rebuilt soon, to which I replied it had 20 more hours and was priced low as it would need the supercharger rebuilt. Well, I listed too late, and there were no buyers for it.

I could rebuild the charger over the winter, cost is around 400 bucks. Do you think it's better to rebuild it and price that in, or leave itand and price that it needs the supercharger rebuilt in? The ski isnt a perfect example, but its a good running ski and in pretty good shape.

Thoughts?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
My dad bought a jet ski this past summer. He avoided anything with a supercharger and went for a Honda Aquatrax (older model since they don't make them anymore). Point is, although many people see superchargers as a good thing for speed, I'd say there are more that don't like the maintenance that goes with time. I think you should treat it like a house, when you go to sell, the majority of buyers are looking for houses that have little work required. They want the furnace redone, the AC done, the roof redone, etc. It's not that you won't eventually find a buyer, but the number of potential offers and amount of interest is quite a bit higher.

You can probably recoup a lot of that $400 cost when selling. I'd say get it done personally.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with Luc, do the repair. I would never have looked at a ski that required work within the first season of obtaining it. MOST people want to buy stuff and get the immediate gratification of using it, not immediately taking it out of commission to repair. I totally get that it's not technically DUE today, but unless you want to limit your buyer pool, just bite the bullet and fix it now, then try to get top dollar in the spring when everyone gets excited about being on the water again.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what I was leaning towards

As far as superchargers... let's just say theres a reason I was looking at yamaha boats, haha. I did consider the 310hp seadoos, but anything supercharged was out. It's not an unreliable engine, but it GUZZLES premium like a freshman sorority girl. Add to that the supercharger rebuilds, and I was determined to not buy a supercharged boat.

It's certainly livable, but it's also really inconvenient.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I hear ya... I went with the base 150HP Scarab 165 to avoid the supercharger because I didn't need the power nor did I want to do the maintenance. Low cost = happy wife! With that being said, Scarab is apparently now offering the new Rotax ACE300 engine that supposedly has a maintenance free supercharger. Worth checking it out in case you're looking at this type of power (in case that is the main limiting factor). https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/08/01/brp-marine-group-launches-new-rotax-engine/

Full video here:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I owned a couple supercharged intercooled skies one piece of junk Kawasaki and a Yamaha both were purchased new, I now avoid supercharged skies and refuse to own any supercharged anything. I took a beating on the Kawasaki and was totally happy to get rid of it. It broke me from ever wanting anything with that name on it.
The sea doo has several issues mostly fuel consumption and electrical issues, supercharger and carbon seal I just helped a friend with a fairly new supercharged one that sank on him.
It was totally full of water ,probably has less than 50 hours on it and I suspect it blew a hose for the exhaust cooling water.
He always brags about sea doo I always brag about Yamaha , he got towed in by a Yamaha . So I win lol.
Sell the ski in the spring when people get the bug and take what you can get for it.
A lot of people like sea doo skies and supercharged intercooled until they have to feed them.
Your ski is 12 years old so it has practically no hours on it.
mine are 4 years old with 650 hours on them. Look up the book value of your ski in your area and hope someone gets the bug remember tax returns that is a good time to start advertising the ski. If you service the supercharger or not remember it only takes one person so 100 can look but only 1 needs to buy.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I have an 08 seadoo rxp I will be selling come spring. . It has 80 hours on it, and the supercharger rebuild is due at 100 hours. When I listed it late in season this year, people beat me up about it needing rebuilt soon, to which I replied it had 20 more hours and was priced low as it would need the supercharger rebuilt. Well, I listed too late, and there were no buyers for it.

I could rebuild the charger over the winter, cost is around 400 bucks. Do you think it's better to rebuild it and price that in, or leave itand and price that it needs the supercharger rebuilt in? The ski isnt a perfect example, but its a good running ski and in pretty good shape.

Thoughts?
That supercharger is known for needing the rebuilds done routinely when they're due. Most prospective buyers will know what they are looking for and will know about the supercharger maintenance for it, so you're better off getting it done and then list it up for sale. 20 hours is not a lot of hours when talking about a ski or even a boat. It wouldn't take long at all to rack those 2o hours up and most buyers will not want to factor that in when shopping for their ski. They'll want a turn key ski or boat, ready for the water and boating season.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’d dump it for whatever you can it’s going to be an 11 year old ski. I sold my 2008 rxt-x last season for $4500 and that’s the upgraded version of your ski. How much are you trying to get for it? I personally wouldn’t put the $400 into it not knowing you are going to defintely get that and more out of it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d dump it for whatever you can it’s going to be an 11 year old ski. I sold my 2008 rxt-x last season for $4500 and that’s the upgraded version of your ski. How much are you trying to get for it? I personally wouldn’t put the $400 into it not knowing you are going to defintely get that and more out of it.
I'll probably ask 6000 for it come spring. Around here, they tend to go for 5 to 6k with 150-200 hours, so I feel like it's a pretty good value ski. Its not perfect, but it's a good ski overall.

I had quite a few bs offers of like 3k or 3500 at the end of season, but those were the bs offers of people who never even looked at it, just time wasters thinking that offering 60% of asking price is reasonable.

Part of me thinks I should just keep it, but it isnt as fun as my 2 stroke ski, and I didnt use either since I bought my sx230. Plus I'd like to have a 3 seater ski if I kept a ski... and it being mr1 powered would be nice to share stuff with the boat

You cant get into an rxt around here for less than 5500, let alone an rxt-x.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
wow that's great resale. I guess everything really does suck in NJ. My dealer offered me 3k on a trade when I got my new VXR.