• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice on Stuck Jet Cleanout Plug LS 2000

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
2000 has the push button plugs

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
cobra jet guy really!! lol ok so we can try one thing place the cleanout plugs in the freezer leave them in over night then in the morning run out and place them in the port holes quickly before they warm up, be sure to spray furniture polish on the aluminum rings where they seat in the boat before you place the plugs in the holes

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats a rocket ship on rails. I loved mine, but am happy I sold it. Lots and lots of annoying maintenance. And as luck would have it, I was one of the first, if not the first, to have suffered the dreaded oil line failure, many years ago, on the other forum and under another name. No need to go pre-mix as the oil pumps don't fail. The lines were short, brittle, poorly secured, and finally just popped up over time. And by the time you realized it you were f'd. Just get a new kit and put new oil lines in. Might be able to get one at Island Racing on Long Island. I suggest going over to the other board, which has a ton of info on two strokes. This board developed from that board; ours is much better but the older one has such a wealth of 2 stroke info in it. http://www.yamahajetboaters.com/

Just don't mention this site on that site, you will be banned forever from their site, lol.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thats a rocket ship on rails. I loved mine, but am happy I sold it. Lots and lots of annoying maintenance. And as luck would have it, I was one of the first, if not the first, to have suffered the dreaded oil line failure, many years ago, on the other forum and under another name. No need to go pre-mix as the oil pumps don't fail. The lines were short, brittle, poorly secured, and finally just popped up over time. And by the time you realized it you were f'd. Just get a new kit and put new oil lines in. Might be able to get one at Island Racing on Long Island. I suggest going over to the other board, which has a ton of info on two strokes. This board developed from that board; ours is much better but the older one has such a wealth of 2 stroke info in it. http://www.yamahajetboaters.com/

Just don't mention this site on that site, you will be banned forever from their site, lol.
Mine went out on the river for the first time today....way too choppy and windy unfortunately, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway, seemed like the starboard engine was dropping a cylinder under load. Out of the water after we got back, cranked right up and ran like a banshee, but then again, that was in neutral. Gonna do a little trouble shooting and check all the plugs first, but happy to take any thought anyone has if you've had that happen to you before. Basically, the right engine kept bogging down. It cleared up once and she took off, but it came back after about 10 seconds and acted finicky the rest of the way back.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So how did you get the plugs back in in to test it out? also it may be a fuel supply issue look closely at the spark plugs they tell all with 2 stroke engines should be brown, if silver you have water getting the cylinder, black is rich or spark issues

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine went out on the river for the first time today....way too choppy and windy unfortunately, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway, seemed like the starboard engine was dropping a cylinder under load. Out of the water after we got back, cranked right up and ran like a banshee, but then again, that was in neutral. Gonna do a little trouble shooting and check all the plugs first, but happy to take any thought anyone has if you've had that happen to you before. Basically, the right engine kept bogging down. It cleared up once and she took off, but it came back after about 10 seconds and acted finicky the rest of the way back.

That sounds like a fuel filter issue. An easy in and out. Buy a few cheap ones at Walmart. I always carried a few on board and it is truly an easy swap on the water. You'd be surprised how easily they clog up. Switch 'em out and the engines will rock once again.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So how did you get the plugs back in in to test it out? also it may be a fuel supply issue look closely at the spark plugs they tell all with 2 stroke engines should be brown, if silver you have water getting the cylinder, black is rich or spark issues
I got the rebuild kits in this morning (they weren't supposed to come in until Monday, but surprise! ) Swapped out the plug parts and that fixed most of the issues. Had to lubricate them with silicon of course and also had to clean out the holes a little better to get them to sit all the way down so they could lock. But they worked fine after that. All good there.

I plan on checking plugs probably tomorrow and I'll also check the fuel filter as well. Are there two filters, one for each engine I assume? Saw one on the starboard side of the boat in the engine compartment earlier. I thought the previous owner said the fuel filter was replaced back in September though.....

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That sounds like a fuel filter issue. An easy in and out. Buy a few cheap ones at Walmart. I always carried a few on board and it is truly an easy swap on the water. You'd be surprised how easily they clog up. Switch 'em out and the engines will rock once again.
I'll check the fuel filter tomorrow. Are there two filters, one for each engine I assume? Saw one on the starboard side of the boat in the engine compartment earlier. I thought the previous owner said the fuel filter and plugs were replaced back in September though.....how often should these need to be replaced? Certainly the plugs shouldn't have any issue that quickly unless they are getting fouled out by something in the fuel?

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
There are 2, on the starboard side. I don't recall them being in the engine compartment, just kind of attached to the gas lines attached to the starboard wall. But I may be remembering incorrectly. I'm getting old/.

Got some more run time in today on the intercoastal waterway and HOLY GUACAMOLE Batman! In the first hour, starboard engine was still experiencing an issue with not getting past 3000 rpms without hesitation and trying to stall. I finally managed to feather the throttle each time and ease it past the stalling/hesitation and it would run up to about 6000 rpms max. Meanwhile, the port engine was performing flawlessly with zero hesitation, instant response all the way up to 7000 rpms. We stopped and took a break for lunch and after lunch, the starboard engine started performing like the left.....DANG WHAT A ROCKET! Instant response and both engines ran up to 7000 rpms and she was cruising along at around 50mph. My best guess was that it most likely was a fuel filter issue and whatever it was cleared and she started running like a champ. One final problem that I'm having though is starting up cold after sitting for 2 weeks or so. Starboard engine just refuses to start for about 5 mins. Then she pops and off she goes and no more issues for rest of day. My first thought is that it's not getting fuel at first.....fuel pump issue maybe? Not getting pressure at first and slowly building up? Anyone else experience anything like this? I haven't done a search here on it yet, but just wanted to say that I was extremely happy with the performance today after that brief stop for lunch. WOW, someone made a comment here about a rocket on rails....they were right! Glad I joined this group. Such a massive amount of good info to learn from here. Thanks all.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I would suspect the fuel pump first in that case. Sounds like it is letting the fuel all the way out of the fuel line and then it needs to get it all the way back up. A weak or failed fuel pump can do that. I don't know the spec for a pressure test for you, but you might just check to see how much you can pick up a new one for. Sometimes a new one is cheaper than the proper pressure test tool to diagnose it properly...

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had same problem of no starting. Easy fix. Of course, my senile brain can't remember exactly, but I recall unscrewing any one of the three black caps over any one of the carbs, pour about 3 ounces of gas in, and she fired right up. I used to use one of those bathroom paper 3 oz dixie cups you use to rinse after brushing your teeth. Pour some gas into the cup , then dump it into the carb from the hole. Some will spill but who cares. 3 ounces takes care of it and the engine will fire up immediately. Don't waste your money on anything else. I did this for years, after the boat sat a few weeks. Never had an issue, just knew if it was cold outside (under 70) it just would not start if it sat. Save your starter, dump the gas, and away you go for the rest of the day. You will find with the LS2000 (or any of these 2 strokes)just a bit of tinkering and work arounds work, and you will be just fine. ls2000.jpg I am glad the fuel filter blew itself out...but carry a few spares on board anyway. BTW where were you on the intercoastal? I was in Holly Hill FL today. By the way, I had my LS for about 6 or 7 years. Not once did I have to do anything with the carbs and that bitch kept on screaming until the day I sold. Not even when switching an engine out (oil line failure). Old ones on, and rock and roll. As for the spark plugs, at about 2 bucks each, I just put new ones in, In April at start of season and replaced them in July. Easy in and out and at 2 bucks a pop? Why bother inspecting them just put new ones in?. The damn will foul 'em up eventually anyway, so just put new ones in. I miss that rocketship.

Broke my left shoulder on impact with the water at 4.05! That is how hard I hit because of this rocket.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use care with the 'gas in the carb' trick. Had a friend years ago who stopped to help someone whose car would not start. He dumped in some gas and wound up with severe burns over his face and upper body. We almost lost him. Horrible.

Yes, it can work. But were it me, I would be making sure I was far away.

Be safe, folks.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just be smart. It is safe. You pour the gas in. Then screw the top back in. Shut the engine compartment. And start it up.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I had same problem of no starting. Easy fix. Of course, my senile brain can't remember exactly, but I recall unscrewing any one of the three black caps over any one of the carbs, pour about 3 ounces of gas in, and she fired right up. I used to use one of those bathroom paper 3 oz dixie cups you use to rinse after brushing your teeth. Pour some gas into the cup , then dump it into the carb from the hole. Some will spill but who cares. 3 ounces takes care of it and the engine will fire up immediately. Don't waste your money on anything else. I did this for years, after the boat sat a few weeks. Never had an issue, just knew if it was cold outside (under 70) it just would not start if it sat. Save your starter, dump the gas, and away you go for the rest of the day. You will find with the LS2000 (or any of these 2 strokes)just a bit of tinkering and work arounds work, and you will be just fine. View attachment 137929 I am glad the fuel filter blew itself out...but carry a few spares on board anyway. BTW where were you on the intercoastal? I was in Holly Hill FL today. By the way, I had my LS for about 6 or 7 years. Not once did I have to do anything with the carbs and that bitch kept on screaming until the day I sold. Not even when switching an engine out (oil line failure). Old ones on, and rock and roll. As for the spark plugs, at about 2 bucks each, I just put new ones in, In April at start of season and replaced them in July. Easy in and out and at 2 bucks a pop? Why bother inspecting them just put new ones in?. The damn will foul 'em up eventually anyway, so just put new ones in. I miss that rocketship.

Broke my left shoulder on impact with the water at 4.05! That is how hard I hit because of this rocket.

We live down in Scottsmoor / Mims Florida, about 30 mins south of Holly Hill. We put in at Scottsmoor and drove south past Haulover Canal and all the way to NASA causeway before turning around and stopping for lunch in Titusville at Max Brewer Bridge.

I'll have to try out your trick with the 3 oz of gas in the carb. Would think starter fluid would also do the trick same way? I saw a can on the side of the engine compartment, but couldn't find a spot to spray it directly into carb throat, so didn't attempt that. Interesting that you can pour the gas all into one carb and it starts it up and begins drawing fuel for all 3? I'll still investigate the cost of a new fuel pump if they're available to be had of course. Not that I believe the 3 oz trick is all that difficult, but if the pump can be replaced quickly and cheaply, then that's just a cleaner option to having to deal with the "pre-start" routine every time.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would believe that. If you get one going, the suction on the other two will draw in fuel. Oh, and starter fluid should work, too (probably not as well--not as flammable). If there is a can of that there, I am betting the PO had the same issue...

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Next time I am down that way maybe you can take me out for a ride and show me the area. I was considering bringing mine down for the winter but dread at 818 miles of towing a boat. Plus if the waterways are crowded, that is not my thing. I'm used to an isoloated river with zero traffic.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Next time I am down that way maybe you can take me out for a ride and show me the area. I was considering bringing mine down for the winter but dread at 818 miles of towing a boat. Plus if the waterways are crowded, that is not my thing. I'm used to an isoloated river with zero traffic.
While I grew up here, I don't know the waterways as well as many who have lived their whole lives here. I was away up in Maryland for over 30 years and Denver for 4 years and only just moved back here two years ago. As far as congestion on the water, it's pretty open area with the obvious exceptions of a few choke points on the intercoastal waterway like Haulover Canal. I've been pretty cautious about where I take my boat so far. Since it's 20 years old, I'd like to take care of it and make it last a while. The thought of getting a lot of sea grasses sucked up in the intakes doesn't appeal to me, and there are a LOT of shallow flats down these ways. Since I'm still very new to jet boats, I'm still pretty cautious about how shallow I go and generally try to play it safe and stay in a 4 feet or more. What I can share, I'm happy to and feel free to reach out to me here. I can show you on a map some general knowledge that might be useful if you do ever haul your boat on down here. Don't blame you for not wanting to haul it that far.

BTW, that little trick with removing the plugs and spraying starter fluid down into the carbs did the trick on my Starboard engine starting issue. Had gas ready to attempt to pour in if the spray didn't work, but the starter fluid spray was enough and she fired right up. MUCH appreciate the knowledge offered here. I noticed the same hesitation in that starboard engine later at speeds, so still need to go pickup that new fuel filter (couple of them). Once it clears, they scream in tandom and she's a rocketship no doubt! But the other good news is that my cleanout plugs have been coming out at the end of each day and so far, they've gone right back in the next time I was ready to go out. Keeping them clean and lubed after each trip seems to be key. They are a tight fit and still require a slight tap to get them properly seated so they'll lock in again, but nothing extreme, just a gentle tap once I have them in by hand to get them all the way down to engage the locking mechanism.
Thanks to all who have posted here, these boards are an amazing wealth of knowledge!

sailorkane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm looking to become the formerly boatless HiTekRedNek. I'm looking at an 01 Yamaha LS 2000. Boat has been used mainly in salt water. Really clean looking boat based on sellers photos. He's had it 18 years and seems to have kept up on maintenance and repairs. Except one thing... He told me last night that in 18 years, he has never opened and cleaned the jet cleanouts, and now they're "stuck". So any tips on how to "un-stuck" these cleanouts? Should I back away slowly? Thanks in advance!
First, if that's the only issue with the boat, I would NOT walk away from it, if it meets your needs in other respects. I worked on mine, also never removed since new, and it was a bear, but could be done. New ones are about $40 for the bottom part, just over $100 for the whole thing and they are available. I got one to pop after a lot of work. Key is whether the dogs on the side release when the button is pushed on the plug. If they DO release, then try ice, pb blaster, a curved HF putty knife driven around the outside of the plug, a 4x4 over the top of it spanning the back area, and a jack or ratchet strap. Eventually it will release. Probably a couple hours if you go right to this solution. If you fart around with lighter weight wood (e.g. 2s2's, weak jack, just ice... it could be several days. Then Rebuild the bottom or put a whole new one in. If the dogs DO NOT release, be sure to buy an entire plug and consider drilling the old one out. OR do what I did and just leave it alone. IMO Chances of needing to remove them are small.