• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

After tubes????

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm over in Gerogetown, IN......There have been a few talks about having a meetup around Patoka at some point this summer.
We’ll be there if it happens, it’s only an hour from us. Is there a thread on it yet?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg

Your post depresses me, as it shows where our youth are headed as a whole.

I don’t give my kids the easy way out of anything, make them do things themselves, and hold them accountable for what they do.

-Uncle Chesty
And the award for least constructive post, and most depressing both go to the above (smile)

Teaching a sport is about building skills towards something else or having fun. Teaching someone how to ski, just because you did adds nothing to their skillset. That's like teaching me how to plow a field, so that I appreciate farmers. I don't need to know how to ski, to ride a wakeboard better. And it's not coddling the kids, ours have all skied. Tried it, thought it made no sense and moved on to something more fun.

Let's stick to the purpose of the post and help these folks find some good times, and stay away from the political crap. We can leave that on facebook for the real snowflakes.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg

To be honest I wasn’t trying to sound like a jerk, I guess it just comes naturally sometimes...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg

To be honest I wasn’t trying to sound like a jerk, I guess it just comes naturally sometimes...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
All good! I'm glad we have snowmobiling so good right now, otherwise, I would be wishing for boating season more.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When you get back stop by and I’ll teach you how to run the plow :)

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the market for a ZUP. that's because my oldest is 5 though so I think he would enjoy it. At teenage years get a beginner wakeboard or cheap surfboard. Dont need ballast ect to get started.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in the market for a ZUP. that's because my oldest is 5 though so I think he would enjoy it. At teenage years get a beginner wakeboard or cheap surfboard. Dont need ballast ect to get started.
Same reason we got the big disk thing. Hoping to move the 7yr old from the sit down tube into a stand up sport of some flavor. Figured the low speed disk thing would be an easy way to do that. If he can stand up on it when the boat isn't moving, then we can slowly start him moving and standing at the same time. Once he gets that nailed, then we can move into the deep water start board based fun.

Also hoping to use the disc this summer to teach some others how to ride the boards. If I can tie the disc to the boat and be just in front of them on a platform, and pull them from the tower, maybe I can give some better real time feedback to them. Might make for a cool perch to film videos as well.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At 15 and 18 I think your boys are only going to try whatever they want to try. The question in the original post should be directed towards them. My advice is to take the suggestions given here and present them to your boys to see what interests them. Thinking like a 15yr or 18yr old boy, I don't think I'm going to go home after the weekend and brag to my friends about how awesome ZUP boarding was. I think the ZUP is great too have in your arsenal (I've got one) for beginners or those shy or nervous to attempt other things. But if your boys are any kind of coordinated, they'll quickly move past it.

I suggest, if they have the interest, that they go straight to wakeboarding or wakeskating. Like skiing, it's going to arm them with the fundamentals for most other watersports. They can go as easy or as aggressive as they feel like. Beyond that, wakesurfing is easy to learn. It's very low impact, it's "cool" to brag about. The somewhat more difficult part about wake surfing is getting your AR240 more surfable. But that's getting easier and easier with the Ridesteady, transom ballast bag, and devices available to help shape things. It's just a greater investment. But no reason you have to have all that to start.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Barefoot :D

Anyone remember jaski's or even old trick skis? Those were fun ...err crazy times!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Barefoot :D

Anyone remember jaski's or even old trick skis? Those were fun ...err crazy times!

View attachment 89313

My grandpa gave me a OLD trick ski... I never did try it. It was actually solid wood. I was too into wakeboarding to care...

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get the slingshot wake foil. Yes it's expensive as crap, but what a blast riding it.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let me know when you are out

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wakeboard and wakesurfer will satisfy pretty much everyone from 10yo to 45. Kneeboard for under 10, or just let them kneel on the wakesurf like my kids do.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Not that skiing is some how the end-all greatest thing in the world, and wakeboarders are the enemy, but it is a step in the evolution of making our children as soft and coddled as possible.
If you think this about wake boarding... you aren't doing it right. :p:cool:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed. I skied for years when there was only the yellow skurfer on the market. Once compression molded boards like the hyperlite came out, i was done skiing. I tried a few passes a few times and realized that the board was more fun to turn and way more fun to jump. Bad ass skiers always get respect for the physical effort required, but so do bad ass wakeboarders catching big air.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agreed!!! There is nothing "soft" about wakeboarding lol. I skied a lot as a kid thru my early twenties including slalom. There is a reason I've never tried wakeboarding :D. I'd love to and it looks like a blast but I'm at the age I can't afford to be off work laid up from a serious injury. Catching an edge on a wakeboard is brutal to watch.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Catching an edge is the exact reason I stopped wakeboarding and moved to the skate. If you catch an edge on the skate it separates from your feet and the crash is FAR less painful.