• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Am I the only moron to have done this?

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have not had the boat out yet this year, so this thread is a good reminder to put in my clean out plugs - I have never forgot to in the past, but being so busy lately I would have probably forgot.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Been there done that. My daughter may have learned a few new words that day as we drifted towards the rocks. Eventually I figured it out, but not without a little lose of dignity along the way.

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has happened to me a few times. Just find a place to turn off the motors and hop back there and put them in. I have gotten good at this move ;-)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is really embarrassing when you are strutting around like a peacock all impressed with yourself, and your guests think you are really knowledgable and quite the seaman...then, vroom, VROOM, VROOM, and no movement....the way to manage to save face and manage their expectations of your prowess is to say, "damn, some kind of debris, I can fix it!" Then go back, stick in the plugs, and come back with a piece of noodle I tore off my shore spike pad that lives in the cleanout tray! All you get are oohs and awes for your ability to diagnose and correct in short order! :winkingthumbsup" This is the way I wish I had done it...but ironically, I did it just like y'all, and my wife still supported me! I have such a great wife! To think she puts up with a moron! :)

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are only two types of Yamaha Jet Boat owners:
1) Those that have forgotten to install their clean out plugs
2) Those who are going to forget to install their clean out plugs.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've done it exactly once. Couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong.... kept remembering that I took off the stern and bow strap 2 minutes ago....what the hell is wrong? Just give it more juice captain! Well, that didn't work and after I heard the boater at the dock next to me say "...let's hurry up and get away from THAT guy" it became clear in my brain that Captain perfect screwed up. :facepalm:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have not had the boat out yet this year, so this thread is a good reminder to put in my clean out plugs - I have never forgot to in the past, but being so busy lately I would have probably forgot.
You can always blame it on the upcoming wedding, Dan!

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can always blame it on the upcoming wedding, Dan!
Very true, we were supposed to go to the lake last weekend, but we wound up going to the wedding venue to go over everything for several hours, it's booked and done, just need to write a big fat check in a few months.............ouch Lol.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You know, I agree with @Murf'n'surf , you really are only surprised once with this. You hear it, you feel it, you have that puzzled and sinking feeling, and then if it happens again, you know exactly what it is and jump back there and do what your checklist would have helped you remember. Speaking of remembering, I can't remember if I provided my checklist, created in Word, that I have shared many times. You can alter it to help you make sure all of your checks are done. It has a pre departure check, a driveway check, pre launch, launch, and recover check. Check it out!

Attachments

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ive done it!!! With all the things we have to deal with and then the great feeling when u figure out its not a busted impeller or spun somthing or other. Man you got off easy.

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
3 cars back in line waiting to launch on a busy weekend. I also had a trusted and experienced boater friend with me. All of a sudden it's our turn. One boat had a dead battery so the other guy helped him. All of a sudden it was our turn!

We jump out of the truck and un-strap everything. Got the boat in the water and off I go. After a little bit of putting around in the no wake zone I see my ski locker lid starting to float.

I jump in the water and realized in our rush I didn't install the drain plug. That's when I found out contacts make good swim goggles for about 30 seconds.

Last edited:

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Adding myself to the wall of shame - did this yesterday (hadn't had the boat out in a couple of months) - had trouble backing it off the lift, limped around the no wake zone, turned off boat, jumped in to swim under and check the intakes, nothing found, open the clean out hatch - D'OH! That was about 30 minutes of trying to figure out what could be causing cavitation - my wife did at least go easy on me.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well there are really 3 types
3) those that never take them out even though your sopose to

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Busy Saturday at the Bellaire ramps. Backed the boat in. parked truck/trailer. Started boat to back out. No thrust. Drifted into concrete pilings with wife holding us off with a stick. Finally remembered what I forgot to do. My biggest concern was the engine running for that couple of minutes without water pressure in the cooling line. Put the plug in and haven't forgot it since.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
More like:

2) Those that are lying :D:D:D

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just did this today. I think it is the third time in 5 years of boating. I used to have two footballs in my cleanouts. Now I have none and there are a lot of foam chunks floating around the launch. I store my footballs down in the cleanout hole and the plugs laying on top of the cleanout hole after every outing. I chewed up one football last year and now the other one is gone. Time to buy two new 6" nerf footballs.

Patrick L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did this today. Lake Carlyle. Forgot my checklist. Left plugs out. Took off and broke both latch paws. Now I get to call SCBM tomorrow to see if they have the latches in stock so my brother can pick them up tomorrow on his way up to the lake. Of course looks like they don't sell just the paw piece I need for both latches. Luckily no other damage. Looks like if they don't have it in stock I will be trying to repair them with some jb weld to get me thru the week. Currently the only thing hold the lid shut is gravity.

This should have a trophy associated to it. :)

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did it once. on purpose.

When my son was solo-legal to pilot the boat. we launched it. (made sure he had his phone w/him) instead of backing off the trailer I gave it a huge shove ....... told him to start it and go....... As I drove up the ramp I watched him do a mental trouble shoot in my mirror. he nailed it almost right away !!:thumbsup: