• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp low-level inputs versus high-level inputs

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question - given the option, is it better to run low-level inputs from the head unit to an amp instead of using the high-level (speaker) inputs? Also, if you run the low-level inputs, does that pretty much bypass the head unit's EQ, or is that still active even on the low-level inputs?

I am in the process of upgrading my AR195's stock Clarion head unit with a new Wet Sounds head unit, and am pairing it with a new 6-channel amp. I have both low- and high-level input options on the amp, but was unsure as to the advantages and disadvantages to each option. From a wiring perspective, it seems far simpler to just run the 2-wire RCA jacks used for the low-level inputs, then just tie up the unused speaker wires coming from the head unit, but I'm concerned about losing audio control (i.e. EQ/level settings) on the head unit. On the flipside, if the low-level inputs offer much better audio quality, then it may be worth any trade-offs.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Low level (rca plugs) will usually yield better sound quality.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll want the low level outputs. Better quality and likely less issues down the road.

I'm running the low levels off the factory clarion in my 2019 195 to two amps and I'm still able to control bass and treble manually and with the built in eq. If you are talking fade and balance, that depends on what the low level outputs are from the HU and what you have available on the amps as far as inputs. If you have front and rear outs and the amp can be wired accordingly to provide matched sets to speakers then you should have correct fade options as well.

On a side note, what year is your boat and which Wetsounds unit are you putting in? I was looking at mc-2 and was curious if it fit the factory opening in a 2019.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Low level (rca plugs) will usually yield better sound quality.
What he said - low levels are more desirable. And these outputs are after the signal has been tuned, but just before the amplifier stage, so all tuning is still fully functional. When you turn up the volume knob, the signal to the amps goes up to get more volume.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a side note, what year is your boat and which Wetsounds unit are you putting in? I was looking at mc-2 and was curious if it fit the factory opening in a 2019.
It's a 2019 AR195, and yes, it fits perfectly. Granted, it has a larger face than the stock Clarion GR10BT, but it fits without any clearance issues at all, both on the front and the back, I didn't have to cut or drill out the existing factory hole at all. And the install is very simple/straightforward, no different than the Clarion really. The only additional step is there are 4 screws that fasten the face of it to the helm (the Clarion only had the bracket on the rear of the unit), then there is a trim ring that goes over it and covers/hides the screw heads and trims out the unit. Very clean look and install once complete. I'm still waiting on the amp and tower speakers, so I can't speak to the wiring per se, but it comes with a wiring harness with leads, so that portion of the install should be easy as well. And of course, I can't comment on the improvement in sound quality until the install is complete, but I'm expecting good things given what I've heard about the MC-2. Thus far, I give the MC-2 a thumbs-up, I can update regarding the sound quality once get the amp and complete the wiring.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweet. That may be my next upgrade there are a few features that the clarion doesnt have.

Hopefully its sound and function is top notch. How is the cup holder clearance. Does it sit any more flush to the helm than the clarion or about the same?

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About the same, though the face covers more surface area than the Clarion (the circle face of the Clarion would fit within the footprint of the face of the Wet Sounds unit). I just tested the clearance with the cupholder, and a standard 12-ounce can of your favorite ice-cold beverage will clear just fine (it sits below and just a hair in front of the volume knob). 20-ounce plastic bottles will be a bit more snug, still clear the volume knob by a hair, but definitely block a good portion of the display. To me, it's more of a minor annoyance, since there's a plethora of cupholders elsewhere on board. Last summer when we were out on the water, I found that I used the ones on the starboard side of the captain's chair more than the one in the helm.

I guess if folks use the cupholder in the helm for other purposes (i.e. for a tablet mount or something like that), it may be more of an issue.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tend to drop my 20oz yeti in that one... and always move it to the lower starboard one like 2 min later when I go to adjust the radio. Wish it was on the other side.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finished up the install this weekend, went pretty much according to plan without too many headaches. The biggest issue was getting enough of me inside the cuddy door behind the helm to actually work on things - kinda had to pretzel in there a bit to finish tightening things up on the board I'd mounted everything to back there. Left just enough service loop on all of the wires to allow dismounting the board and sliding it back out if I ever need to (for whatever reason). At any rate, getting back to the main point of the thread, hooked up both the amp and powered sub using the low-level outputs from the MC-2, tweaked all of the various levels on both the head unit as well as the sub and amp, and it sounds pretty dang good for an amateur setup. The trick was getting the levels right between the stock Polks, the new tower speakers and the sub to where I could get some decent volume without the tower speakers basically drowning everything else out (they're the largest speakers of the entire setup, both in size and capacity). I wanted it to be loud (but clear) at volume, but I also still want to be able to tell that the Polks are there down in the back and up front in the bow.

I'm pretty happy with the entire setup now - much, much better than stock. The only remaining questions are how it will perform in the heat when I'm out on the water, and if I will still need to adjust the tower speaker levels with the tower fully deployed (it's currently folded in the garage while I'm working on it). I definitely give the MC-2 a thumbs up - it's a step up from the stock Clarion GR10BT for sure. And as I mentioned before, the fitment is the same as the Clarion, the only difference being the 4 mounting screws that go in the corners of the face of the unit (i.e. you have to put holes in your dash to complete the mounting).

lgparra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@stevenk2 by chance have any pictures of how it looks on the 195 dash?