• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor swinging issue 195S

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Last two times we took the boat out to the sand bar we’ve had some decent winds and current in our area. I’ve noticed we were literally the only boat swinging back and forth from our anchor. I followed all the steps anchor into the current/wind . Also the swinging is definitely hurting the anchor from catching correctly. The anchor came loose twice and one instance the boat started drifting away and I had to swim extremely fast to catch up to the boat, not safe and scary situation. There’s no bow cleat on the 195S so I have to use one of my two front side cleats, I don’t know if that’s the issue since the line is not centered that way. I’ve read to install a back anchor to block the swinging but before investing in another anchor I wanted to see if I’m doing something wrong or if anyone has any tips. Thank you.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I see a couple of issues here. How deep were you anchored in? How much rode (anchor line) did you have out? Was there a 7:1 scope? Depth of water times 7 for the amount of line out. Do you have a piece of chain between the anchor and the rode. What type of anchor? These are all questions that have to do with your dragging anchor. Now the swinging part can be taken care of with an anchor bridle set between those two bow cleats.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What Zipper said, plus I would venture to say that if you are at a sand bar where other boats commonly are, you should have some sort of rear anchor to stop your boat from swinging. The winds, tides, and current can all shift, and having a second anchor will cut back on the swinging and remove the anxiety of having your boat swing into another boat.

Also ensure you are properly setting the anchor. Some do this manually at the sandbar, others will throw the anchor over while they still have some backward momentum to ensure it sets (fluke style).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just info. The first time my stock sliding ring anchor dragged in an anchorage, weedy bottom,, I was getting closer to an anchored sailboat. I could see the "captain" getting nervous as I recognized what was happening. I then changed it out for a Danforth style, no sliding ring, with 6' of chain. Never dragged again. I relegated the sliding ring anchor to stern duty.

Last edited:

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
195 here also and same issue. Bought a small guardian anchor to throw off the stern. Problem fixed.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
You are correct the swing is created because of the offset bow cleats. Same model. We use a 13 lb box anchor. It only requires a 2-1 scope and doesn't need a chain. We also have a sand Shark and a fluke for the stern depending on circumstances.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You'll swing with either an offset or centered cleat, this is normal but you should predominantly stay pointed into prevailing wind/current. If you're losing hold you most likely have insufficient scope, so try adding more rode (and some chain if you don't have it already). In tight quarters a stern anchor would be helpful.

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I see a couple of issues here. How deep were you anchored in? How much rode (anchor line) did you have out? Was there a 7:1 scope? Depth of water times 7 for the amount of line out. Do you have a piece of chain between the anchor and the rode. What type of anchor? These are all questions that have to do with your dragging anchor. Now the swinging part can be taken care of with an anchor bridle set between those two bow cleats.

i thought the scope should be 3 times the depth?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
i thought the scope should be 3 times the depth?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
When I bought my boat new, it didn’t come with an anchor. So I purchased one that held up to a 19’ boat, came with anchor, chain and rope. I quickly found out that any current or passing boat wake would break the anchor free. So I upgraded the bow anchor to one sufficient for a 24’ boat and used the smaller anchor for the stern when at the beach. Stopped the swinging and anchor dragging.
IMG_3425.jpegIMG_3169.jpeg

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To me, still a rookie, anchoring is the most stressful part of my trips, lol. Especially when pulling in between other boats, my stress goes out of control, to the point I sometimes avoid anchoring between boats.

It is getting better, between the small box anchor and sand spike for the stern, which helps once the bow anchor is set, but its that first initial approach and trying to anchor the bow that stresses me the most.

sgust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where I boat there's usually always wind. My 190 had a hard time staying still even in shallow water with a good amount of line out and would swing and drift. I bought two box anchors to solve that problem. Boat stays extremely planted in the wind and current because the box anchors suction to the mud at the bottom. Takes about 2 minutes to throw both anchors, one on the front starboard side and the other on the rear port side or vice versa.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
To me, still a rookie, anchoring is the most stressful part of my trips, lol. Especially when pulling in between other boats, my stress goes out of control, to the point I sometimes avoid anchoring between boats.

It is getting better, between the small box anchor and sand spike for the stern, which helps once the bow anchor is set, but its that first initial approach and trying to anchor the bow that stresses me the most.
Just be like a typical Florida driver, close your eyes and go for it 😉

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

This is a good use of lateral thrusters. I stop out away from everyone, set my stern anchor on the swim platform, and ready my bow anchor. I pull in upwind of my target location and drop my bow anchor, with at least 3x rope than depth (box anchor)

Then use reverse and lateral thrusters to reverse where I want the boat to sit. And will many times pull the stern laterally into the wind. This sets my bow anchor, and then gives me just enough time to toss the stern anchor slightly into the upwind side, so that when it sets, I can let out just enough line to hold the boat with the slightest bit of side wind to keep it from swinging.

If you always anchor with your bow directly into the wind, it will always swing, just a bit if any. But with the stern, just so ever slightly towards the wind, there is constant pressure on one side of the boat, keeping both anchor lines tight and no swing. If I got the stern anchor straight out and tight, that would be one thing, but I can't throw an anchor that far, and I can only drag one. We don't have beaches to anchor to, so we are anchoring in deep water.

Good luck, it takes practice.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Brother trust me...you are not alone. I can maneuver my old 242 on a dime but stress when trying to back into a spot near a beach and anchor. Some times I say F it and just beach it lol. But, I'm trying to get the bow anchor set and then the sand spike for the stern. I just don't have a good system or technique down yet. Now I have a new boat and the learning curve is practically vertical. Gotta get this crap figured out so I don't look like an idiot at Jet Set 2024 this year LOL