• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchoring

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any tips or recommended videos discussing/showing anchoring? Last season was my first and we mainly stayed away from others so we would find an isolated cove in our lake and just float. This season, I would like to anchor and chill sometimes when other boats are around. I put my anchors out twice last year, but not really comfortable. I know practice is best, just wondering if there were any videos out there.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First tip would be to get rid of the sliding ring on the shank type (seachoise) of anchor that dealers put on these boats. Mostly useless. I use Danforth style, no sliding ring, 6' of chain and 3-strand nylon rope. It fits in the anchor locker.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy a box anchor: Box Anchor — Slide Anchor

Replace the line with an Anchor Buddy: Anchor Buddy — Slide Anchor

After that.... throw overboard and relax.

Not needed but I carry two onboard and typically attach one off the bow and stern. Boat stays in place with no drift.
I used this method as well short the anchor buddy but I've been debating it though. Been good so far on every lake we have been to in wind and current and even with an Axis A24 tied up to us in some cases. Also carry two one for bow and one for stern.

poordealguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the 16’ sportster, we used a navy style for the bow and a pwc grapnel style for the stern. Cove at the lake gets crowded, the bottom is mud and the boat didn’t move with that set up. Both anchors were very easy to stow. It took a couple of minutes to set the navy style.
Used a fluke style and a homemade sand anchorfor Florida sandbars, again for the Sportster.
Moved to a box anchor at the bow for the AR190 and used for the first time last weekend. Setup is the easiest of them all. Pulling the anchor was the hardest of them all. Realized after the fact that it may have been easier to swing the boat around so that anchor could be pulled in from the swim platform.
videos - search YouTube and you will find dozens of videos on using your anchor style on your type of lake bottom.
look on Facebook marketplace for anchors if you want to try a couple of different styles.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most people make the mistake of not putting out enough line. You need to put out a length of rope 4-5 times the depth.
Here is a decent video of tips: anchor tips

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I used this method as well short the anchor buddy but I've been debating it though. Been good so far on every lake we have been to in wind and current and even with an Axis A24 tied up to us in some cases. Also carry two one for bow and one for stern.
The anchor buddies are not designed to replace the anchor line but I've discovered they work well as one. Definitely would not use this method off shore but it's perfect for inland lakes.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
throw out the front, back in and put the back anchor opposite of the current/wind. Sometimes I just look at what direction everyone else has their anchor set.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I use a danforth anchor off the bow with an Anchor Buddy as well as the anchor line. The Anchor Buddy will stretch to 50 ft, so I loop an additional 50 ft of anchor line in case the Anchor Buddy stretches to it's Max. (This applies to shallow water, not more than 20-30 ft) .I also add an anchor retrieval buoy in case it's needed. It also marks my spot, and warns other boaters that there is line in the water (non-floating). I anchor the stern to the beach with a spike anchor (medieval weapon) pulling the stern to the beach and stretching the anchor buddy. Then when I leave just let the line out. That's the plan anyway!

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any tips or recommended videos discussing/showing anchoring? Last season was my first and we mainly stayed away from others so we would find an isolated cove in our lake and just float. This season, I would like to anchor and chill sometimes when other boats are around. I put my anchors out twice last year, but not really comfortable. I know practice is best, just wondering if there were any videos out there.
1st year I was THAT guy that kept breaking loose from being anchored.. Bought a 5 foot or so length of chain and attached to the anchor and the weight of the chain allowed the shaft of the anchor to lay on the lake bottom while it dug in...... I've been 98% successful since on the 1st attempt

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This isn’t the kind of tip you’re looking for but it looks like a good opportunity to show what I use to throw my anchor line in with. An extension cord reel like the one in the link. I just hold onto the black casing inside the center of the reel, throw the anchor in and she just spins away. Fits perfectly inside the anchor locker too. You can’t reel the line back in though because it’s too heavy. You have to pull it up and wrap it all up in the boat or have someone else wind it while you’re pulling the line in. Just make sure it’s done right so it will roll out perfectly next time.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Chain is key to a successful anchoring
I have 10 feet on mine and never had it come loose even with 4 boats tied up