• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchors for southern lakes?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use this style in the SC lakes and it works really well. They come in 10, 15, or 20 lb. I also have a river anchor like the one mentioned above for the stern.

Amazon.com : Seasense Navy Anchor 15Lb Vnyl Coated : Boating Anchors : Sports & Outdoors

View attachment 93877
Same here. I think I have the 15lb version for my little 190. It's held myself and two tri-toons in place on a moderately breezy day before. Also holds VERY well in the Ohio River here around Louisville. Current is 3-7knots depending on where you are. Toss this dude out, let some rode out to get a decent scope (I don't use much, maybe 2:1), and it'll hold for days without worry.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Jmulvihill people that I have known to use a box anchor said it does work. The problem with them is where to store them in the boat when not in use. Also, they have more of a potential to drag in high winds if not deployed properly. My personal opinion is that you'd be better off with a traditional type anchor such as a Fortress or a Mantis. @farrelltravis has the hookup if you want a Mantis. On our Yamaha I use the Slide anchor shore spike and it works perfectly for beach stern anchoring. Good luck with your new boat! Post some pics when you get it. Where do you plan to launch from and keep it?
I took a look at the Mantus anchors over on FarrelTravis' website. They definitely look interesting, but it seems like they would be nightmare for storing on the boat. They would fit in the port locker on the 212, but then just accessing it and trying to use that space for other needed storage would be almost impossible. Again, I will have to check dimensions once I get the boat and see what is going to work best for function and storage.

Thanks!!

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We're out of Highport marina in Pottsboro, TX. We stay on our Express when we're at the lake.
Awesome! My neighbor launches from there all the time. Nice facility. I will keep an eye out for your boat when we are on the lake. I will definitely be able to see you coming from a long way away!! Have a great day!!

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat came with a galvanized Danforth style anchor. I added 100' of 3/8th rode, 5' of 5/16th chain and an anchor buddy. This worked ok in lakes and in the Bahamas. I had one of those river anchors for the stern.

Then in 2016 I bought a Fortress FX-7 and swapped it onto the same setup that I used with the Danforth. The Mantus had a lot of consideration but would not fit in my anchor locker. The FX-7 was amazing on local lakes and in the Bahamas. So much so that I bought a second for the stern. I gave away a river anchor, might have a second on the shelf and sold the box anchor that I had on the shelf.
I second the FX-7 and did the same thing for my 2019 AR240. Once I saw how well the bow anchor held and how light it was I got one for the stern.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This season I added about 8 feet of chain to my small box anchor. That added chain made it stick every time - even in wind. If you cut a piece of rebar (I painted mine with spray in bed liner so it won’t rust) it’ll hang in the anchor locker on a 24 footer without any modifications. It is heavier to pick up but works like a charm.
My theory is that the arm on the small box is short enough that even with over 2:1 scope the anchor could be picked up and would slip. That chain has solved my problem.

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This season I added about 8 feet of chain to my small box anchor. That added chain made it stick every time - even in wind. If you cut a piece of rebar (I painted mine with spray in bed liner so it won’t rust) it’ll hang in the anchor locker on a 24 footer without any modifications. It is heavier to pick up but works like a charm.
My theory is that the arm on the small box is short enough that even with over 2:1 scope the anchor could be picked up and would slip. That chain has solved my problem.
I will have to do some measuring of the anchor locker on the 212 and see if the small 21lb box anchor from Slide Anchor will fit in there or not. Interesting thought on the addition of the chain. Makes sense.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have the Mantus and love it. So much so that we sell them now. They are great anchors.

We store ours in the bow storage compartment on the port side. At first, we didn't like that. But, over time, it has worked just fine. The Mantus holds!!

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. Happy boating!!

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We have the Mantus and love it. So much so that we sell them now. They are great anchors.

We store ours in the bow storage compartment on the port side. At first, we didn't like that. But, over time, it has worked just fine. The Mantus holds!!

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. Happy boating!!
You mean the locker storage right in front of the passenger seat, or under the bow seating way up in front? Thanks!! I will message you if we decide to maybe to the Mantus route. Thanks!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On our boat, our 13# mantus is stored underneath the port storage seat. It fits just fine there.