• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another AR190 top speed thread, fully loaded, only 27 mph?

DTram

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019 AR190 at Roosevelt Lake, AZ, about 2000 foot elevation. 7 adults on board, a couple coolers of beer, etc, 2 people sitting at the bow. Boat would struggle to plane, then she would climb up to a top speed of about 27 running a bit above 7000 RPM. Is this the most I should expect with that many people on board?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I dont have the 190 but I would expect that to be normal for the altitude with 7 adults and gear.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Same, thats a lot of weight on a single 1.8 naturally asperated engine.

Last edited:

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a similar experience with my 21 fsh. I had 8 on the boat the other day, food, drinks, coolers ect.. I didn't have any problem getting on plane, but you definitely know you have a load on board. We would cruise around 28-30 at 6800 rpm approx. Even if you maxed the throttles i wouldn't get much faster than that, maybe 34. There wasn't a big enough speed difference to run WOT and suck gas.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will typically lose 10 mph with 5 adults and 3 kids, coolers and other gear in the boat and I've got twin MR1's. I would think a single engine would lose at least that much speed with 7 adults onboard.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019 AR190 at Roosevelt Lake, AZ, about 2000 foot elevation. 7 adults on board, a couple coolers of beer, etc, 2 people sitting at the bow. Boat would struggle to plane, then she would climb up to a top speed of about 27 running a bit above 7000 RPM. Is this the most I should expect with that many people on board?
At that elevation and that weight, I would say you are pretty accurate.

DTram

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies. It was my first time out with the new-to-me boat, just wanted to be sure there was nothing abnormal about it or get my expectations set too high. I'll have it out next weekend with just the wife and a couple dogs and see what the difference is.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you only boat at 2000 feet, you might consider repitching the prop a bit to get over 7500 rpm. Might get 1 or 2 mph top speed. I say might because I'm not positive it's worth it.

DTram

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took her back out today with just the wife and two of our dogs. It definitely felt better from a dead stop, and cruised at 34 MPH at wide open throttle around 7100 RPM.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Those two adults would make a difference in the bow, it doesn’t take much weight up front to pull the pump out of the water just enough to slow you down.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those two adults would make a difference in the bow, it doesn’t take much weight up front to pull the pump out of the water just enough to slow you down.
100% agree. Bow weight will pull speed faster than anything else. Their elevation isn't helping either.

For reference, my '17 AR190 ran just over 35mph on Saturday with (4) Adults and (4) kids plus all our gear. Didn't run that way for long, but wanted to see. That was at 7050 RPM and 35.1mph according to the readout on the RideSteady (GPS speed). Had (3) kids (3,4,10) in the front, and all the adults and the 1.5yr old in the rear. I was driving (230lbs), wife was next to me on the bench (140-ish, don't tell her I said), and two other adults were on rear bench (300lbs combined). We were as heavy as I've ever been and while it didn't plane as fast as normal, it wasn't absurdly bad either. We ended up cruising at 24mph and 6150 RPM.

DTram

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made an early morning run on a nice calm lake, just me in the boat, no bimini. WOT would get to about 7150 RPM and 36 MPH (on the speedo, not GPS). I just removed the ribbon this afternoon, hopefully this weekend I'll get to see if I notice a difference.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made an early morning run on a nice calm lake, just me in the boat, no bimini. WOT would get to about 7150 RPM and 36 MPH (on the speedo, not GPS). I just removed the ribbon this afternoon, hopefully this weekend I'll get to see if I notice a difference.
You need more revs at WOT. Should be closer to 7,600.

What elevation is the water you're on?

DTram

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
36mph at 2100 ft in a 2019 190 is reasonable. 7100 rpm seems low. One possible solution is to change the impeller pitch getting you a higher RPM and a few more horses. Might get a couple MPH.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
36mph at 2100 ft in a 2019 190 is reasonable. 7100 rpm seems low. One possible solution is to change the impeller pitch getting you a higher RPM and a few more horses. Might get a couple MPH.
Agreed.

@DTram I doubt you get much better than what you have. Elevation kills the power on an Normally Aspirated engine.

Check out Impros for a repitch to get those revs back up. Might get to 40 or so.

Daryl123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Daryl123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m having the same issue. 2019 ar190. Just me and gf can only run 30mph on speedo on nice day. I had 5 adults and 2 kids and could only run 15mph. What is going on is there something wrong with my boat?

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m having the same issue. 2019 ar190. Just me and gf can only run 30mph on speedo on nice day. I had 5 adults and 2 kids and could only run 15mph. What is going on is there something wrong with my boat?
What is your elevation and ambient temp. At 1,000 ft in springtime (70 deg) I can hit 40. At 90 degrees I'm happy with 36. FYI, The 2018 and prior 190s are 2 to 4 mph faster due to a hull change in 2019.

bttally

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR190. It does slow down with a heavy load as well as with strong winds or anything other than perfect seas. To make it a little more powerful when pulling a tube or with a full boat I did - ribbon delete, remove air box and add larger air intake(K&N), and Lucky 13 cone. Ribbon delete added a few more rpms. Moving to a K&N made it a little more loud but gave a feeling of more mid range pulling power. Lucky 13 changed it to feel like more of a rocket when loaded lightly and more manageable when with a heavy load. Each boat is different with the spacers on the lucky 13 which takes trial runs to see what feels best to you. With all spacers I am at 38mph but top at 7200rpm. With only the smallest spacer I am at 7550rpm, top speed 37mph but it takes off like a rocket with absolutely no cavitation. I was on the quest to get above 40 and haven't had luck unless it is glass with the bimini top down. My next step is to repitch my impeller to give that a try.

If I were to only do one I would start with lucky 13 and then go from there.