• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Another boat name thread...

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just looking to see what people think on this before I position it to the wife for her to reject it... She wants to name the boat (she wanted to name our last boat too) and while I'm not opposed to putting a logo or some lingo on the back of the boat, I'm certainly not registering it with the coast guard ;-).

So having said that, here's what I want to put: /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Background, I'm a geek and love regular expressions. That string means "To be or not to be"... I have two takes on this... 1) it won't help resell value unless I find a hard core geek if I ever wanted to sell my boat and 2) no one other than nerds will recognize/understand it (that's good and bad).

So... is it stupid? I'm not married to it, but I don't want something that's been done 9,001 times before.

I have some other boat name options, but if this one gets no support and the wife poo-poo's it then I'll move onto those :-).

I would have no idea what it meant, as most won't. But its your boat. None of us are registering 24' boats with the coast guard in lieu of registration numbers that I know of. And a name graphic can be removed in about 10 minutes, so it won't affect your resale value at all. Have fun with it and make it a family affair!

If you ever deal with drawbridges or harbor masters via UHF or hailing, they will not be able to pronounce that. However, they will adjust and call you "small red bowrider" or similar. Really no harm.

As txav8r said, it's your boat!

I have no idea what that would mean, so I would probably just glance at it, take 5 seconds of my life to figure it out, give up, then move on (just like I do with most personalized license plates I see on the road that I can't figure out at a glance) LOL...I guess if it means something to you, that's all that really matters. If the missus is on board with it, go for it!

I like it, I would never figure out what it meant, but I think that makes it a good conversation starter. It sure is a TON better than Aquaholic or Wet Dreams... It seems like every other boat in every marina I have ever been in have those names. I think boat names should be something original and meaningful to the owner, and that name qualifies.

And as txav8r said, it shouldn't hurt your resale value one bit. Boat name stickers are easy to get off as long as they aren't painted on.

I say go for it!

Even some programmers when out in a boat might leave their programming hats behind and not recognize that on a boat. However there will be a very small few that may. As @GTBRMC said, it's your boat and if you and the fam really like it then that's all that matters.
I'm in a similar situation. Going on my second season with my boat and have not come up with a name. I have a couple dozen on my short list (not so short I guess), but I really wanted to involve my kids in the process and so far they have decided on Red Bull. The tower was like the horns my daughter says. I could also do some free advertising for a particular sport drink if I used their bull design. I haven't made the call to the graphics place but that's where I'm leaning right now. It's not super fancy and doesn't have any double or triple meaning but if it gets my family more in tune with the boat then I'm all for it.

:-) okay. So I think I'm not even going to try this one w/ the wife, she will say no.

I love the position I'm in... She wants to "name the boat" but she wants me to come up with the name. Luckily the same isn't the case for the child that's about to pop out on Friday, she's got that name covered I think.

I am a SQL MCM and went with "(In Recovery)" for my boat name since it gets me back into a consistent state. I make sure to always include the parentheses to show it is not that kind of recovery but sometimes people still ask when they see me crack a beer at the dock.

I use regex and knew you had posted a regex but had no idea what it meant just looking at it. I almost went to test it but then figured I should keep reading in case you said what it was. There was a guy that I used to live by that had the license plate "1000101". I used to laugh and my wife used to wonder why.

lol. that's awesome! maybe I'll use that, it's my wife's favorite position. (j/k of course)

Like most everyone I wouldn't have a clue as to what it meant. If you want people to see and spend the rest of the day trying to figure it out then go for it. I know I would be thinking about it for the rest of the day...kinda like those vanity license plates.

Another option is to get the family involved. My daughter came up with our boats name.

When you do decide I highly recommend www.diylettering.com Incredibly fast shipping and the interface was so easy to use with plenty of options.

Good luck!

WP_20140805_001.jpg Little Bobby Tables would be a great DBA boat name but even other techies would have to Bing it.

This is the shirt my son is wearing today.

View attachment 9650 Little Bobby Tables would be a great DBA boat name but even other techies would have to Bing it.

This is the shirt my son is wearing today.

hehe, such an awesome shirt!

I don't know how to feel about you saying "bing it". You're out in Illinois, so you likely don't work for M$... ;-)

Not to start a religious war, but maybe I should name it "vi > emacs". ... or "emacs < *"... or maybe ":wq!" ... oh man this just opened up a whole plethora of new names for me!

Lol..force of habit. I do work for MS as a field engineer mentoring customers in SQL Server and getting them out of sticky situations. My office is my laptop and my cell phone although I could make do with either.

It will certainly help keep other girls off your boat, so your wife may like it actually.

So... we had some time to sit and think (waiting for induction) this weekend and then even more time after all the pushing and ... my wife started trolling all my posts on this forum and was reminded that in boating (and some other things) I call her the "Executive Princess" and she laughed and said... "We should name our boat that" ... so we're gonna :-). I just need to get her back from the dealer and I'll measure out the dimensions and get the lettering ordered.

Thanks everyone for your posts!

Great name! But it is a bunch of letters, so you may be forced to make them shorter as taller may really take up the room. Mine are 3.5" tall and 42.75" long. I have 1" of clearance between the speakers...when I get them installed anyway. And I only have 10 letters and a space. At 17 letters and a space, you may have to go two rows. Just get dimensions before printing. Great name!

Thanks, that's great feedback! I'll measure it out and see. I think because those back rest cushions are there I will be forced use fairly small letters just under the cushion. Either that or I will use somewhere else on the boat to put the name like port and starboard aft area or just aft of the engine compartment. But I will need to see it to visualize. will let you know!

Back