• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another oil cooler bolt sheared

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Cory it was corrected in 2011 Cory, however I don't know how many 2011 boats received the fix. The 2012 production was corrected.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I'm reading that this is 2010 boats, would this affect my 2011 242?
Look at your oil coolers. If they have an arrow pointing to the 3rd bolt you are safe with the new design.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a visual I can do to determine if mine is corrected? Mine was straight from factory in June of 2011, so I am hoping that was late enough in the year.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
oops, passed in transmission, thanks!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I'm reading that this is 2010 boats, would this affect my 2011 242?
Look at your oil cooler. If there is a little arrow stamped in the metal next to the 3rd bolt down (below the filter), then you should have no worries. Otherwise, it most likely affects you.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Look at your oil cooler. If there is a little arrow stamped in the metal next to the 3rd bolt down (below the filter), then you should have no worries. Otherwise, it most likely affects you.
@davel501 beat me to it

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took delivery mid-April and I have the corrected coolers.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got a courtesy call from my dealer today. Seems as though Yamaha has no record of me purchasing the extended warranty (dealer is getting that straight now since they have record that I did). However, even with them assuming that I had no YES warranty, Yamaha was still willing to replace one cooler (parts and labor) or both (and I cover labor). That may be good news for those of you that run out of warranty and have the issue if you havent had it already.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...... The one thing I will do before season starts is loosen and retorque the bolts to spec. You may want to so the same.
If you should do this, I would recommend installing new fasteners - the revised version - and use ARP Ultra Torque Assembly Lubricant.

Fasteners stretch and fatigue. This is a contributing factor in this issue as I understand it.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got a courtesy call from my dealer today. Seems as though Yamaha has no record of me purchasing the extended warranty (dealer is getting that straight now since they have record that I did). However, even with them assuming that I had no YES warranty, Yamaha was still willing to replace one cooler (parts and labor) or both (and I cover labor). That may be good news for those of you that run out of warranty and have the issue if you havent had it already.
Such a different experience. It has to be the service department. I am only getting new bolts (paying for the second bolt - parts only) but no luck on the coolers. That said, I asked the dealer to estimate a repair for keel damage from a trailer strike and he asked if it was on the port or starboard side of the boat. I almost said the boat did not hit the trailer that hard. :)

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you should do this, I would recommend installing new fasteners - the revised version - and use ARP Ultra Torque Assembly Lubricant.

Fasteners stretch and fatigue. This is a contributing factor in this issue as I understand it.
I have heard the same although I am waiting for a PM back from someone on yjb that claims to have done a full engineering analysis. For those that do not want to replace the coolers, replacing this 3rd bolt may become regular maintenance that is done every season, like changing the spark plugs.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good news.....they got my warranty straightened out. Yamaha is covering both coolers. Parts have been ordered. Hopefully Ill get everything squared away next week.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is currently at dealer. I am still under warranty. Yamaha replaced bolt on one cooler. Yamaha is unwilling to do anything else with oil coolers, unless they are leaking or break more bolts.

Probably gonna fail during vacation boating trip or out on lake Michigan with my wife and three year old. Frustrating scenario.

side note:
took boat to dealer to replace broken reverse cable. Warranty will not cover. Yamaha says I hit something and broke cable. I said show me the dent.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Weird how things vary from dealer to dealer.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat is currently at dealer. I am still under warranty. Yamaha replaced bolt on one cooler. Yamaha is unwilling to do anything else with oil coolers, unless they are leaking or break more bolts.

Probably gonna fail during vacation boating trip or out on lake Michigan with my wife and three year old. Frustrating scenario.

side note:
took boat to dealer to replace broken reverse cable. Warranty will not cover. Yamaha says I hit something and broke cable. I said show me the dent.
Are you working with Gary at Nielsens?

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard the same although I am waiting for a PM back from someone on yjb that claims to have done a full engineering analysis. For those that do not want to replace the coolers, replacing this 3rd bolt may become regular maintenance that is done every season, like changing the spark plugs.
I PM'd him the other day. Not sure why he didnt want to share this publicly. No idea what, if any, credibility this has. He also says his boat is a 2012. Never heard of a 2012 having any issue with this.?

Basically what he said is that the bolt holes arent machined deep enough so they are torqued into the bottom of the hole which stressed the head of the bolt rather than the entire length of the bolt. First time I've heard that take. He said that retorqueing them will just make it more likely that they break, and that the old coolers dont have enough machined area for thread engagement to support the torque. He tapped them deeper and installed helicoil on all the holes, and used new bolts.

Original Post on YJB: http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=59496&start=105
To all, I had the 3rd bolt failure on both of my engines and removed the broken bolts, did extensive engineering investigation (its my job and passion) including scanning electron microscope work on the broken bolts and cooler. I do not want to post my findings on here because I'm afraid of ruining anyones case with the manufacturer, I can't speak for everyone's case but I know for sure what caused my failure. PM me if you'd like to discuss, again I can't speak for everyone, only for my case.​

I dont know why he wanted to keep the matter private so I asked him to post it. I dont feel right posting his PM...

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Davel 501

Yes, I am working with Gary at Nielsens, and they are being professional and wonderful.
I would highly recommend this dealership to anyone looking to purchase or needing service.
I have spoke and dealt personally with their main technician in the past and he is very knowledgeable about the jet boats.
Absolutely no complaints regarding the dealership.

I completely understand that the dealer must get all warranty work authorized through someone at MOTHER YAMAHA.
Sometimes I think wining on here may help.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Davel 501

Yes, I am working with Gary at Nielsens, and they are being professional and wonderful.
I would highly recommend this dealership to anyone looking to purchase or needing service.
I have spoke and dealt personally with their main technician in the past and he is very knowledgeable about the jet boats.
Absolutely no complaints regarding the dealership.

I completely understand that the dealer must get all warranty work authorized through someone at MOTHER YAMAHA.
Sometimes I think wining on here may help.
I have made a couple of purchases there and found the sales side of the house to be top notch but I have had bad luck with service in the past. Things like not putting the boat all the way back together in a way it could sink and using speaker wire to wire my halogen underwater lights. I actually swore I would never go back to them but now I need them for the warranty work. I have worked with Josh (head tech) quite a bit in the past and he does seem quite knowledgeable. This is my first time working with Gary and he does seem to try really hard.

If you talk to them they will probably replace the bolt in the other cooler with a new one for the price of the bolt while they are doing other work.

Never heard of anyone breaking a steering cable. Ever. Seems like it would have to be a defect. That said, if you look at the cables they have the Teleflex part number on them so you can get them much cheaper. They are easy to swap from what I understand so that one might not be worth fighting.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I gave up fighting the steering cable (no warranty, final decision), I ordered one last fall when it broke, cost was $60 bucks. Should be easy to repair guessing about 2 hours, I have had the throttles apart before so the hard part is running the new cable, or may be able to just pull the inner part thru, don't know yet.

Just need to get my boat back to do repairs, they have had it for several weeks; for simple things, I even tried to make an appointment before I dropped it off in April, but no worries weather has not been very good fortunately.

Edit: they repaired the reverse cable under warranty. should get boat back tomorrow.

Last edited:

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Had a chance to look this morning. Glad to see a big arrow pointing to the third bolt.