• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ANOTHER on-board charger question...

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to add an on-board charger and I've been reading up for a couple of days. I've got one main question that I seem to keep finding conflicting answers on. I've got two battery "banks". Bank 1 is a single bluetop 34m (12v 55ah). Bank 2 is 3x bluetop D31M wired in parallel (12v 225ah). Do I need a 2 bank charger... or a 4 bank charger so that each battery gets its own connection? I understand the 4 bank would be a quicker charge from dead, but they are significantly more expensive and charging speed isn't a main concern in my situation. What's tripping me up is the conflicting info. I've been looking at the noco genius and the prosports models. At some point, documentation for both of them says charger leads should be connected to a single battery... but then NOCO has a video showing a charger connected to a bank that is wired in parallel, and prosports has this listed in the FAQ on their web page...
Q. How many batteries or battery banks are to be charged?
A. A bank is several batteries harnessed together and treated as if they were a single, larger battery. Your charger will require one output per bank. Chargers often have a number of outputs, some which need not be used. Some have 1 or 2, most have 3 or more units.

So which is it? Is a "bank" a "bank" or is a "bank" a "battery"? I know that question has been asked, but I can't find a definitive answer.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My understanding is that a bank is a bank. So in your case a 2-channel charger would hook up one channel to your start bank (n=1), and one channel to your house bank (n=3).

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ideally each battery would have its own leads from the charger. In your case getting a two bank charger would not be far from ideal if it can output enough amps. One has to assume those three optimas on the house bank were installed at the same time for that stereo setup. A two bank 20 amp charger is the smallest I would go and I am not aware if anyone offers a two bank with more amps than that. I know you said speed is not an issue for you but it is for the life span of those three batteries in one bank as they are going to split the current. I have a NOCO two bank 20 amp and I like it except that I the battery leads are one gauge smaller than I would personally like but probally fine. It being a sealed unit with good components inside is what made me choose it over others. I don’t have recent experience with other brands so I can’t speak for or against them.

One other thought is that you may not need all 3 batteries if you don’t push the audio system like the former owner. You could save some space and weight by removing one.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One other thought is that you may not need all 3 batteries if you don’t push the audio system like the former owner. You could save some space and weight by removing one.
Good point here. Our usage is very different. Previously it was trailer the boat, rock the lake for 6-8 hours, trailer the boat home. My usage is 2-3 hour runs from the dock and back, usually. I hate to remove any "ballast" however.;)

I like the consensus here. The Noco 20 amp is really 2 10a chargers as it can only do 10a per bank. The prosport can direct all 20 amps to whichever bank needs it, so that's a plus, but prosport lists more mounting requirements. I'd feel more comfortable with the Noco being in a closed compartment than the prosport. Is 10 amps enough for the house bank?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm a fan of my prosport, though don't think you can go wrong with either one. Mine is mounted in the battery compartment.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've had my ProMariner (ProSport 12) for a week now but I am extremely happy.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was not aware of the 20 amp output to a single bank for the promariner. That is nice but my guess is you also have a ballast bag in that area and may put a bag on top of the area in which case the NOCO wins for me given increased risk of getting wet. If plugged in all the time at the dock then 10 amps is enough even if more is desired.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Went with the Noco for the moisture protection. Thanks everyone for your input. Love this place.

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any worries about hooking up a 2 bank Noco with the solar panels?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length