• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another soundproofing thread... the RAAMat experience

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How does one bend a drive shaft? Something get past your grate?

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No idea, I've only had the boat for 15 hours of use. See my other thread on it.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/engine-noise-while-riding.19246/

I could just be paranoid. Which is what I was hoping the responses would be.

Just found a 2015 for sale in the RIGHT price range, Having two boats at once is the only reason I'm not on my way to go see it today.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@swatski Are you happy with this RAAMat material? Would you use this mat again?

I need to do something with Chap. The twins are noisy.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Are you happy with this RAAMat material? Would you use this mat again?

I need to do something with Chap. The twins are noisy.
Yes, it holds really well.
However, filling the large voids in the stern, along storage comps, bulkheads, inside the gunwales etc. (with memory, acoustic, or expandable polyurethane foam products) appears to be much more effective in muffling the sound, vibrations and noise, in my experience.

I would go both, again. However, mass-loaded vinyl/butyl products that work wonders on sheet metal deadening in cars are just far less effective over fiberglass/FRP. This is to say - yes, I like the RAAMat a lot, it helps but I would not expect miracles.

Also - a good engine hatch seal is critical.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
If you are looking at spray foam use. Use the Loctite Tite Foam it is a CCF 4x the more dense then (Great Stuff) and Loctite Tite Foam is much better for a wet environment

Last edited:

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always thought some of the concepts here would apply to boating. Especially the clay around open holes (like cabling port through the fuel tank), and then hanging several "walls" of rubber as well. I always like this builder for home building and the concepts explained. For those that like "watching foam sprayed".

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the hard to reach places we are giving this a try. View attachment 96400View attachment 96399
Brilliant!

I know you know, but just a PSA for general information - pouring/dispensing the foam fast (large volume at once) may lead to excessive heat inside a profile, so go slow and/or incremental anywhere around the outer shell - the Yamaha FRP is super thin and could be deformed by heat, possibly.

--

Last edited: