• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Another water in boat/bilge question

Do you have a photo or can provide info on what you used to seal the ski locker?

I just screwed the ski locker plug in. You should have a hole on the stern side at the bottom of the ski locker and your boat should have come with a plug for it.

It is not connected to the scupper. There is a separate thru hull, much smaller than the scupper on the transom. On my AR230, it was up under the horizontal surface where the jet pumps are under the swim platform. I don't remember which side. Pour some water in the tray while on the trailer...you will find it.

View attachment 199906

On the parts breakdown the yellow circle is the hardware for the cleanout tray drain. The red circle is the scupper.

View attachment 199907
Thanks so much for the clarification!…. Learn something new everyday!…. And I thought I knew my old AR230 like the back of my hand!….
Learning this now, since those two drains empty outside the boat, either one (or both) isn’t connected correctly, going directly into the bilge, or it’s leaking around the ‘snap in’ access hatch. Because a lot of water is getting into the bilge!…. After about a 15 minute run at speed, I bet it pumps out 2 to 3 gallons.
I checked the top of the clean out tubes, and they seem water tight where they connect to the clean out tray, so I don’t think it’s leaking there.
Thanks again fo all your help!

I just screwed the ski locker plug in. You should have a hole on the stern side at the bottom of the ski locker and your boat should have come with a plug for it.
I thought you were sealing the seams

Thanks so much for the clarification!…. Learn something new everyday!…. And I thought I knew my old AR230 like the back of my hand!….
Learning this now, since those two drains empty outside the boat, either one (or both) isn’t connected correctly, going directly into the bilge, or it’s leaking around the ‘snap in’ access hatch. Because a lot of water is getting into the bilge!…. After about a 15 minute run at speed, I bet it pumps out 2 to 3 gallons.
I checked the top of the clean out tubes, and they seem water tight where they connect to the clean out tray, so I don’t think it’s leaking there.
Thanks again fo all your help!

There are a couple of ways to test for those leaks.
1. To check the top clamp seal on the clean out tube, open the inspection port(s) and visually check that a clamp exists and feel to make sure it is tight. You can do a water leak down check by filling to the top of the tube and looking for leaks into the bilge.
2. Fill the tubes and the tray, you will find the tray drain thru hull on the stern. And you will find out if the tray seal leaks into the bilge. This was the source of many leaks in past models.

There are a couple of ways to test for those leaks.
1. To check the top clamp seal on the clean out tube, open the inspection port(s) and visually check that a clamp exists and feel to make sure it is tight. You can do a water leak down check by filling to the top of the tube and looking for leaks into the bilge.
2. Fill the tubes and the tray, you will find the tray drain thru hull on the stern. And you will find out if the tray seal leaks into the bilge. This was the source of many leaks in past models.
Perfect!!!! Thanks again!….. great idea, next time I’m out with the boat, while it’s on the trailer I can do just what you said and just fill up the tray with water, and see what’s happening…. I’ll see right away if the drains are working correctly…. And also see if it’s getting past the access hatch.
I’m still a bit surprised that water gets past the Clean Out plugs themselves….. I always figured those were water tight?….
I read somewhere that you can ‘tighten’ them, so they seal better?…. Mine seem to easily twist to the lock position….. doesn’t take much push down force.

Last edited:
Put one of these in your engine compartment cheap item that will let you know if you are taking on water or the bilge isn't working . Hang the sensor 2'' over the water pick up for the bilge. If it rings you will know something is wrong so many members have filled the bilge and a few have even sub merged the motors.

Funny I just saw this thread today after installing the JBP Mechanical Access Port Riser yesterday evening (bought last year).

I had the issue of the bilge kicking on under throttle a couple years ago, and then this year as well. Each time, it was the first time I ran the boat after winter storage. Last year the bilge was almost always dry. The time a couple years ago, I had the dealer reseal the large tray around its outer edges as well as where the cleanout tubes interface with it (coupled with tightening the tube clamps). Also periodically (re)greasing the rubber plug seals helped as well. However, this year I decided to order replacement rubber for the plugs and went ahead with the riser installation. Needless to say, after pulling the smaller access port tray with its ten screws, there was barely any silicone from yamaha, so undoubtedly water was just raining down into the bilge after filling up through the cleanout tubes. I figure this should solve my latest water ingress issue for now and minimize any bilge operation. ??
1684268856298.png

Put one of these in your engine compartment cheap item that will let you know if you are taking on water or the bilge isn't working . Hang the sensor 2'' over the water pick up for the bilge. If it rings you will know something is wrong so many members have filled the bilge and a few have even sub merged the motors.

Great idea!…. A simple cheap insurance!…. I like it!

Funny I just saw this thread today after installing the JBP Mechanical Access Port Riser yesterday evening (bought last year).

I had the issue of the bilge kicking on under throttle a couple years ago, and then this year as well. Each time, it was the first time I ran the boat after winter storage. Last year the bilge was almost always dry. The time a couple years ago, I had the dealer reseal the large tray around its outer edges as well as where the cleanout tubes interface with it (coupled with tightening the tube clamps). Also periodically (re)greasing the rubber plug seals helped as well. However, this year I decided to order replacement rubber for the plugs and went ahead with the riser installation. Needless to say, after pulling the smaller access port tray with its ten screws, there was barely any silicone from yamaha, so undoubtedly water was just raining down into the bilge after filling up through the cleanout tubes. I figure this should solve my latest water ingress issue for now and minimize any bilge operation. ??
View attachment 199997
Perfect!!!! Sounds like you have/had the EXACT same issue I’m having. It’s funny you mention the Jet Pilot Access Riser, I JUST ordered one a few minutes ago. LoL! Figure I might as well do that as well, that way I can not only add the riser, but re-seal everything associated. I may also remove the entire bottom tray, and re-seal that, also check the clean out tube connections (with the hose clamps I think someone said they use), as well as check the drain hoses, to make sure they’re all connected correctly…
And heck, with that removed, might as well go ahead and change out the cheap plastic Scupper. (On that note, does anyone know the part number for the stainless Scupper I’ll need?)
Oh, and just maybe I’ll replace the rubber gaskets on the plugs themselves….. easy and probably fairly cheap.
Thanks again for everyone’s input!

Perfect!!!! Sounds like you have/had the EXACT same issue I’m having. It’s funny you mention the Jet Pilot Access Riser, I JUST ordered one a few minutes ago. LoL! Figure I might as well do that as well, that way I can not only add the riser, but re-seal everything associated. I may also remove the entire bottom tray, and re-seal that, also check the clean out tube connections (with the hose clamps I think someone said they use), as well as check the drain hoses, to make sure they’re all connected correctly…
And heck, with that removed, might as well go ahead and change out the cheap plastic Scupper. (On that note, does anyone know the part number for the stainless Scupper I’ll need?)
Oh, and just maybe I’ll replace the rubber gaskets on the plugs themselves….. easy and probably fairly cheap.
Thanks again for everyone’s input!
Let me know if anyone orders the full plug and has success with stopping the water from getting past them. I ordered the rebuild kit (lower half of the plug) and it didn't fix the issue. I just got done caulking my tray top, here's to hoping the bandaid works this season!

So took the boat out yesterday to see how the riser worked for me and the bilge didn't kick on at all. A friend brought one of his gopro's and we stuck it in the cleanout tray area on the starboard side. Still having water bypassing the clean out plug (video shows that only the port side seems to be the problem), but at a little under cruise the drain seems to mostly keep up. I plan on hopefully replacing the rubber on the port plug tomorrow and wiping down the tube where the plug locks in, and we'll see how it goes! If the weather cooperates, I'll probably take it out for a test on Sunday.

Including the video from my friend's channel for a helpful visual:

So took the boat out yesterday to see how the riser worked for me and the bilge didn't kick on at all. A friend brought one of his gopro's and we stuck it in the cleanout tray area on the starboard side. Still having water bypassing the clean out plug (video shows that only the port side seems to be the problem), but at a little under cruise the drain seems to mostly keep up. I plan on hopefully replacing the rubber on the port plug tomorrow and wiping down the tube where the plug locks in, and we'll see how it goes! If the weather cooperates, I'll probably take it out for a test on Sunday.

Including the video from my friend's channel for a helpful visual:
AWESOME VIDEO!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much! I’m 100% sure mine is doing the exact same thing. I just got the access hatch riser, so I’ll install that and also reseal the bottom tray. I might do like you said and replace the plug rubber seals. I think yours might even be worse than mine, that’s a lot of water!!!!
Thanks again for posting that video!!!

AWESOME VIDEO!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much! I’m 100% sure mine is doing the exact same thing. I just got the access hatch riser, so I’ll install that and also reseal the bottom tray. I might do like you said and replace the plug rubber seals. I think yours might even be worse than mine, that’s a lot of water!!!!
Thanks again for posting that video!!!
Awesome video! Mine is definitely doing this too! Makes me mad seeing how much water gets in Yamaha should come up with a fix for this… I’m surprised it’s not a safety recall issue honestly.

This is why my bilge kicks on and why when I pull the drain plugs a good amount of water comes out (easily 5-10 gallons). There is a decent graded hill near the back exit of the parking lot where we drop in and if no one is behind me I sit there for a solid 1-2 mins letting it fully drain out. So frustrating.

I just recaulked yesterday. Hoping that bandaid fixes my issue. Let me know if anyone has success in stopping the water from getting in to begin with.

Awesome video! Mine is definitely doing this too! Makes me mad seeing how much water gets in Yamaha should come up with a fix for this… I’m surprised it’s not a safety recall issue honestly.

This is why my bilge kicks on and why when I pull the drain plugs a good amount of water comes out (easily 5-10 gallons). There is a decent graded hill near the back exit of the parking lot where we drop in and if no one is behind me I sit there for a solid 1-2 mins letting it fully drain out. So frustrating.

I just recaulked yesterday. Hoping that bandaid fixes my issue. Let me know if anyone has success in stopping the water from getting in to begin with.
Do you know where the water in bilge is coming from?? Even if water is leaking by the clean out plugs it shouldn’t get into the bilge unless the tray isn’t sealed or the hose clamps on the tubes aren’t tight. It might be a drain plug, rub rail, anchor locker or other issue allowing water into the bilge.

Do you know where the water in bilge is coming from?? Even if water is leaking by the clean out plugs it shouldn’t get into the bilge unless the tray isn’t sealed or the hose clamps on the tubes aren’t tight. It might be a drain plug, rub rail, anchor locker or other issue allowing water into the bilge.
Tray wasn’t sealed. I put a go-pro under my tray top. It was raining water in there down from the tray top. I just sealed it yesterday. Hoping to get out tomorrow to test it and see if my sealant holds the water out.

Tray wasn’t sealed. I put a go-pro under my tray top. It was raining water in there down from the tray top. I just sealed it yesterday. Hoping to get out tomorrow to test it and see if my sealant holds the water out.

None of the trays are sealed from the factory you can easily test it in the drive way just crank up your trailer jack plug the drain hole and fill the tray with hose water. I used neoprene gasket material and extra screws in both the large tray and the inspection port along with a one way valve for the drain hose, the bilge has almost no water coming out after a day of boating and water sports

So I managed to replace the rubber parts of the port cleanout plug this past Saturday. Old gasket was pretty jacked up once i looked at it off the plug. Couldn't get out on Sunday, but did manage to get out earlier this evening. While i couldnt get a video today, the fix seemed to greatly reduce the amount of water getting into the tray area. Both tubes had some water in them, but below the top. Pretty much zero water in the bilge and nothing came out when I pulled the drain plug after the ride. I might replace the starboard side after I capture another video of current state now that the port plug fix has been done. But either way, I'm satisfied enough with the fix so far (port plug rebuild and riser install) and shouldn't have to worry about needing to slow down just to let the bilge catch up when more fam and friends come out. On with the holiday weekend and summer! ?☀

Edit: Almost forgot a pic of the old gasket! Easy to see how water could push the outer seal inward in certain dented spots on the underside. Especially when compared to the new one.
20230520_165400.jpg

Last edited:
Curious, when you guys trailer do you have the clean out plugs locked in place? I trailer an hour to the ramp and involves highway driving. I'm wondering if air flow is possibly wearing at my rubber seals? Maybe a stretch

Curious, when you guys trailer do you have the clean out plugs locked in place? I trailer an hour to the ramp and involves highway driving. I'm wondering if air flow is possibly wearing at my rubber seals? Maybe a stretch

I dont have mine locked in until I get to the ramp. It's part of my launch prep each time i take it out.

I lube mine at the beginning of the year with pool gasket lube and only take them out to drain after pulling the boat out. They go back in locked for the storage on the trailer. Never had an issue with them sticking.

Back