• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Another water in boat/bilge question

Curious, when you guys trailer do you have the clean out plugs locked in place? I trailer an hour to the ramp and involves highway driving. I'm wondering if air flow is possibly wearing at my rubber seals? Maybe a stretch
Both. I leave my plugs out on the way home from being on the water and install them before leaving the house to go out.

Just a quick update, I removed the entire clean out tray and resealed it with a nice large bead of 3M 4200, as well as ran a nice bead of regular clear silicone around the edge after reinstalling the tray (might be a huge PIA to remove later if I have to… LoL!), but it FOR SURE isn’t going to leak around that anymore, and I want to mention the factory seal (silicone bead) was very minimal, and even no existent in many areas, so water was for sure leaking thru there.
Then I also installed the JBP 3/4” riser, and sealed that as well.
Then lastly I took some 400 grit sandpaper and ‘lightly’ sanded the metal portion where the clean out plugs seats.
Tested it yesterday, and I believe everything I did worked like a charm!…. Not only did I see less water bypassing the plugs, and if any did overflow out of the tubes, NONE leaked into the bilge!…. The pump never turned on once!… so no water intrusion!…. YAY!….
Compared to it coming in every 10
Minutes or so, pumping out a good 2-3 gallons (maybe more sometimes)….
Very happy, and really not that much work to fix!

Attachments

• IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6004.jpeg
    IMG_6004.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6005.jpeg
    IMG_6005.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6003.jpeg
    IMG_6003.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 20
Just a quick update, I removed the entire clean out tray and resealed it with a nice large bead of 3M 4200, as well as ran a nice bead of regular clear silicone around the edge after reinstalling the tray (might be a huge PIA to remove later if I have to… LoL!), but it FOR SURE isn’t going to leak around that anymore, and I want to mention the factory seal (silicone bead) was very minimal, and even no existent in many areas, so water was for sure leaking thru there.
Then lastly I took some 400 grit sandpaper and ‘lightly’ sanded the metal portion where the clean out plugs seats.
Tested it yesterday, and I believe everything I did worked like a charm!…. Not only did I see less water bypassing the plugs, and if any did overflow out of the tubes, NONE leaked into the bilge!…. The pump never turned on once!… so no water intrusion!…. YAY!….

I gotta ask, since you already had silicone on hand, why did you choose to use 4200 to seal the tray to the deck, given that you know it will be a PITA to remove?

Last edited:
Hope so. Regular caulk is a PITA to remove. Can’t imagine trying to remove 4200.

I can attest to it removing sikaflex. The old Beneteau cockpit teak was adhered with it.

20190506_155222.jpg

20190621_174834.jpg
20190623_172604.jpg

Try this on your cleanout rubber seals. Works great.

Glad you fixed your leak! As someone who used silicone under the clean out tray I can tell you you are in for one hell of a PITA to get the tray off in the future, BUT! you solved your problem! So happy days!

As a fyi for the future all that is needed, and spec’d in the service manual is to put a bead of silicone seal on after you have the tray all screwed down.

I gotta ask, since you already had silicone on hand, why did you choose to use 4200 to seal the tray to the deck, given that you know it will be a PITA to remove?
LMAO!!!!!…. Well actually it was the other way around, before starting the project, I did my usual ‘over’ research… lol!.. and everything I was reading said 3M 4200 was the best silicone to use and it is removable, and don’t use 5200, that’s more for permanent applications.
So I bought the 4200….. then after I was done sealing everything back together my OCD kicked in and thought to myself, I should throw a bead of clear silicone around the edge, and make sure this thing doesn’t leak!!!! Went to the store and bought a large tube…. Lmao!
Oh well!…. It’s nice and sealed, and if I have to remove it later, I’ll be cussing myself!

Try this on your cleanout rubber seals. Works great.

Thanks!…. I’ll order a tube, see if that helps. I’ve just been spraying them with a silicone lube spray. But it’s amazing what a difference it made by lightly sanding the metal surface smoother…. But they do still leak a little…..

Glad you fixed your leak! As someone who used silicone under the clean out tray I can tell you you are in for one hell of a PITA to get the tray off in the future, BUT! you solved your problem! So happy days!

As a fyi for the future all that is needed, and spec’d in the service manual is to put a bead of silicone seal on after you have the tray all screwed down.
LOL!…. It’s definitely sealed now!…. Seeing as how I practically welded the tray down!…. Hahahaha. I luckily the factory ‘regular’ silicone they used was super thin, it was easy to remove. Actually the hardest part was to separate the clean out tubes from the tray, they too were silicones on…. But I just delicately wedged a flat blades screwdriver around the edge and prayed it apart. Worked great!
I guess that’s the great part of this site, if someone is thinking about doing this project, they’ll read all this and say, “hmmmm, I’ll just go with regular silicone!”….. LMAO!

That’s why I keep using this after I screw the tray down. Seals and keeps water from getting in and peels off easily with no tools, scraping or hassle.
IMG_0452.jpeg

That’s why I keep using this after I screw the tray down. Seals and keeps water from getting in and peels off easily with no tools, scraping or hassle.
View attachment 202078

I may have had an old or bad tube, how is that stuff supposed to come out? Mine was like rubber cement, or baby snot - got everywhere except where I wanted in a few places, and fought me trying to move/place it in the skinny areas between the back edge of the tray and the deck. My cleanout tray has a few areas that are just obnoxious to try to get anything onto the edges.

I may have had an old or bad tube, how is that stuff supposed to come out? Mine was like rubber cement, or baby snot - got everywhere except where I wanted in a few places, and fought me trying to move/place it in the skinny areas between the back edge of the tray and the deck. My cleanout tray has a few areas that are just obnoxious to try to get anything onto the edges.
It should come out just like regular silicone. You prob had an old tube.

It should come out just like regular silicone. You prob had an old tube.

Im definitely going to get a tube of that stuff!!!! Cleaning off the old silicone is a pain.

Still, the juice is worth the squeeze as far as water abatement goes. I get zero, and I mean not even a drop out of my bilge at the end of the day, there was more to it than just the clean out tray / mechanical hatch riser but most was coming in there. The last place I have to seal up is where the T top uprights mount to the deck. The only time I get any water out of the bilge is if I use my raw water wash down a lot, on the deck not just washing my hands or the swim deck, and the only place it can get in is the T top mounts.

So when I walked back to the boat yesterday after parking my truck I snapped this pic that illustrates where the anchor drain sits in relation to the water line. There is a slight port list as the live well isnt full in this pic and I have some gear on the boat but not a lot. With out that little plug in the locker drain thru hull water would be flowing in and out all day long. If there were people in the bow there would be even more water and the rode would be soaking up water.

30421B3B-F975-4447-85D5-11CB676143DA.jpeg

Back