• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Another water leaking thread... Yamaha AR240 - 2017

Xedd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have been mostly enjoying my boat for years without issue. I did have a significant insurance claim early on when I ran across an unmarked ledge on a local waterway. This required fiberglass work to the hull and removal of the engines, etc. All good there. I had them install a Raymarine GPS shortly afterwards, so I can have a good idea of where the shallow areas are since the onboard depth finder is way too late for things like rock ledges.

Ever since owning this boat, my starboard clean-out port would always have water filled to the top when putting it back on the trailer. This spring, while attempting to pull out the port side plug, the plug itself lifted out with the bottom half remaining lodged in the clean-out port. FYI, with the newer style plugs, there is a single re-inforced plastic rod holding the two halves together. I bought a rebuild kit and installed it but now water is also consistently filling in that clean-plug, which leads me to believe that water is blowing past the plugs while on plane.

Anyways, not a big deal right? Well, it seems like when they did the warranty work, they did not tighten down the top half of the hose clamps for the large rubber hose that attaches to the top plate in the clean-out hatch. On top of that, I noticed that the drain hose on the clean-out hatch was missing a hose clamp as well as being kinked (over time, I am not sure). So I replaced the kinked hose for the drain so that flows freely. Despite the lack of torque on the hose clamp and replacing the hose for the drain, I was still getting significant water, even filling up the storage locker up front a few inches after half a day outing. I went back and resealed the top clean-up hatch with silicone after taking it off, noted that whoever tightened the screws down last also stripped the holes going into the fiberglass of the hull so I temporarily filled some of these with silicone and put the screws back in.

All this in, last week with nice weather, still getting water in the hull!!!@ I went back and filled the cleanout ports, hatch area, installed JetBoat Pilot's riser as well, still leaking, found it leaking on the Port side behind the clean-out port where the hatch is screwed down, even with silicone under it. Seems like there is enough of an opening that water can literally rush in under the hatch, maybe it is warped a bit not sure. Anyways I ended up putting even more silicone for now, and now I am able to fill the entire hatch "wet" area with the drain and plugs installed and nothing leaking into the hull.

Hoping to give it another go before our season ends here in Canada soon and hopefully seeing the tail end of this leaking. Just wish I had some answers as to why water is blowing past the clean-out plugs now, more than ever. Checked for debris or specks of dirt that may be letting water come by at high pressure but it all looks clean, no scum or any build-up.

On another note, I have noticed my depth finder is flashing on the console a lot like it is losing communication or not able to determine the depth. It seems to be "flashing" more than it is not, I guess these go bad over time?

I inspected underneath the boat and found it, but I don't see any way of removing it, seems to be sealed in quite well. Screws underneath silicone?

On another note, I have noticed my depth finder is flashing on the console a lot like it is losing communication or not able to determine the depth. It seems to be "flashing" more than it is not, I guess these go bad over time?

I inspected underneath the boat and found it, but I don't see any way of removing it, seems to be sealed in quite well. Screws underneath silicone?
Your transducer is removed from under the clean out hatch. Its under one of the waterboxes.

So I have been mostly enjoying my boat for years without issue. I did have a significant insurance claim early on when I ran across an unmarked ledge on a local waterway. This required fiberglass work to the hull and removal of the engines, etc. All good there. I had them install a Raymarine GPS shortly afterwards, so I can have a good idea of where the shallow areas are since the onboard depth finder is way too late for things like rock ledges.

Ever since owning this boat, my starboard clean-out port would always have water filled to the top when putting it back on the trailer. This spring, while attempting to pull out the port side plug, the plug itself lifted out with the bottom half remaining lodged in the clean-out port. FYI, with the newer style plugs, there is a single re-inforced plastic rod holding the two halves together. I bought a rebuild kit and installed it but now water is also consistently filling in that clean-plug, which leads me to believe that water is blowing past the plugs while on plane.

Anyways, not a big deal right? Well, it seems like when they did the warranty work, they did not tighten down the top half of the hose clamps for the large rubber hose that attaches to the top plate in the clean-out hatch. On top of that, I noticed that the drain hose on the clean-out hatch was missing a hose clamp as well as being kinked (over time, I am not sure). So I replaced the kinked hose for the drain so that flows freely. Despite the lack of torque on the hose clamp and replacing the hose for the drain, I was still getting significant water, even filling up the storage locker up front a few inches after half a day outing. I went back and resealed the top clean-up hatch with silicone after taking it off, noted that whoever tightened the screws down last also stripped the holes going into the fiberglass of the hull so I temporarily filled some of these with silicone and put the screws back in.

All this in, last week with nice weather, still getting water in the hull!!!@ I went back and filled the cleanout ports, hatch area, installed JetBoat Pilot's riser as well, still leaking, found it leaking on the Port side behind the clean-out port where the hatch is screwed down, even with silicone under it. Seems like there is enough of an opening that water can literally rush in under the hatch, maybe it is warped a bit not sure. Anyways I ended up putting even more silicone for now, and now I am able to fill the entire hatch "wet" area with the drain and plugs installed and nothing leaking into the hull.

Hoping to give it another go before our season ends here in Canada soon and hopefully seeing the tail end of this leaking. Just wish I had some answers as to why water is blowing past the clean-out plugs now, more than ever. Checked for debris or specks of dirt that may be letting water come by at high pressure but it all looks clean, no scum or any build-up.
The riser plate and complete reseal of the hatch as well as new drain fitting and drain hose is a MUST on these boats! I did these mods after getting sick of the bilge always running, and it was a night and day difference! So far I am just one season in with this fix, but my bilge never ran once this year.

I put a thin weatherstrip around the cleanout plate (and have now replaced all of the screws around the circumference with bolts and blind nuts or rivet nuts (depending on how much fiberglass I had to work with). Haven't done the riser plate, but have no water in the bilge now...

Other note is that when coming off plane water will come up that drain port. So water on top of the plugs could be blow-by, but much more frequently what you are seeing is water that came up the drain port and went down the plug hole. Totally normal. Water in the bilge? Not totally normal...

Back