• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anti Pooling System Straps Marring Gelcoat

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ive noticed after just a few tows, the APS straps that are hooked to the rear cleats are causing some marring on the gelcoat near the swim platform. This is because the path from the pole to the cleats are not direct, they have to wrap over the boat boat slightly. Anyone else have this issue and/or a better solution? I put some towels under the straps for the time being.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't tow with the poles in place. I was told by my dealer to tow with them out.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat was towed 700 miles from the dealer, by the dealer, with them in.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to take mine out once from my house to my storage place and it really looked so weird to me. Ever since I have made sure they are out during towing and my cover is in great shape. Others on this site have had the same conversation about in or out during towing. The other thing I did was put a noodle around the windshield to keep the windshield bump stop from rubbing through the cover.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The way I look at those poles is this. The are anti pooling poles. To me that means that they are there to prevent water from pooling inside the cover. If you are towing, water will not pool in the cover due to motion of the vehicle.

I don't claim that one way is right or wrong. I would recommend that you take them out and tow with them out once to see if that works for you.

I think we should do a poll on this topic to see what percentage of people do tow with the poles in or out.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would have thought there would be buffeting without them. Hopefully be able to give it a try this weekend.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Plus I would think they'd stay put without any straps and not moving.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just the opposite. The cover will suck down and look like it is shrink wrapped. But it works and I don't have wear marks or pads other than around the windshield since that rubber bumper will wear through since the cover pulls down so tight while towing.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
At highway speeds with no poles the cover turns into a bowl and can/will collect rain. When trailering long distances I have the poles in but laying down. This helps support the cover in the bow, and if it starts raining I just have to stand them up.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I did exactly the same thing. I use one in the strap that crosses over the windshield too, to keep the strap from sawing through the rubber stopper.
I use a piece of noodle and put over the windshield in four spots to prevent any rubbing on the cover.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow with the straps on but no poles, I don't have any rub marks from the straps going over the gel coat.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done it both ways. I don't like towing at highway speeds with the poles in. You can see the stress it puts on that small part of the cover and as expensive as that damn thing is I want it to last as long as possiable. The little vents on the sides of the cover near the windshield act like a vacuum and cause negative pressure under the cover causing it to suck down tight to the boat like a jet ski cover. I now tow without them in.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always towed my 242 without poles/straps. Just received my new cover for the Doo today, and the instructions explicitly state to tow with them in. I don't plan on even towing with this cover on, as I have snaps installed for the bow/cockpit covers, just thought I'd throw it out there.