• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any advice for new Scarab owner

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
New to the forum. Well I just bought my first boat from Marinemax here and Dallas and picked the 2014 Laser red 195 Ho Impulse. Never owned a boat before or even really driven one. Some people may say I was kinda stupid for spending that much money being a rookie but its my money and figured go new to avoid problems with a used boat.

I'm keeping my boat at the local marina in the water so I'm having them paint the bottom until I decide if I'm getting a boat lift. So basically I'm asking experienced Scarab owners for any tips or advice that can help me. Thanks in advance I'll post pics/videos once I get her in the water.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where's your marina at?

being your first boat my biggest suggestion would be to take a boater safety class and the first time or two go with only one other person so you can get comfortable driving, docking and just becoming familiar with the boat. Plus it gives you some slow speed break in time for the engine. You don't want your first trip to be with a boat full of people expecting you to provide them with a good time.

I can't really comment on the painted hull because I don't think ANYONE on here has that. It's got to cost at least $1k doesn't it. for that amount I would seriously look at a lift.

Good Luck!

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
where's your marina at?

being your first boat my biggest suggestion would be to take a boater safety class and the first time or two go with only one other person so you can get comfortable driving, docking and just becoming familiar with the boat. Plus it gives you some slow speed break in time for the engine. You don't want your first trip to be with a boat full of people expecting you to provide them with a good time.

I can't really comment on the painted hull because I don't think ANYONE on here has that. It's got to cost at least $1k doesn't it. for that amount I would seriously look at a lift.

Good Luck!
My boats going to be at the Bay view marina off of Lake Ray Hubbard. My Dad was the one that told me to paint the hull since it would be in the water until I decide on a lift. The dealer ship said they would do it for me so not sure if they are charging me for it but I'll find out. The dealership is breaking in the engine for me said it usually takes 7 hrs .

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Welcome aboard!!! As @Scottintexas said above I would definitely take a boater safety course, just to familiarize yourself with laws, regulations, and general boater language. @ScarabMike can probably give you some scarab related advice. And do for sure go out the first couple of times with only one other person. "An experienced" boater would be ideal, the pressure and excitement of having friends and family aboard the first couple times can be nerve racking, and a unnecessary distraction... Good Luck!!! And again, WELCOME!!

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and congratulations!! I would highly recommend not painting the bottom and just getting a lift. It hurts your resale value. Also, don't buy a lift new, there are plenty of quality used ones on craigslist for $2k. There may even be one for sale at your marina.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Painting the hull will seriously hurt resale value. Just pull her out and clean the hull every few weeks until you decide if you want a lift. That will help you decide;)

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Scarabsteve check out this thread and you can see how eaisily you can clean the hull. This is not my boat but it sat in the lake that I go to all last season. Mine is on a lift and I still had a ton of cleaning. It's just part of boat ownership. I agree with all others. Avoid painting the bottom!

https://jetboaters.net/threads/wow-this-stuff-flat-out-removes-boat-scum.4092/#post-71257
I don't have a truck yet to pull the boat in and out of the water. That's why I was gonna paint it till I decided on a lift or bought a truck to trailer it. But now I don't think I should paint it. I can't just leave the boat in the water for about a year it will wreck it. What should I do?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are you buying the trailer with the boat? if so, ask a friend with a vehicle to borrow it for a day just to pull it out and clean it, The marina may even have a tractor and do it for you for a nominal fee,

I would look at the some other boats in the marina that aren't on lifts and see how bad they look, a lot of times the build up has to do with the water conditions, if it's only a like scum maybe you can get by with anchoring and taking a swim to clean it whenever you go out,

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
are you buying the trailer with the boat? if so, ask a friend with a vehicle to borrow it for a day just to pull it out and clean it, The marina may even have a tractor and do it for you for a nominal fee,

I would look at the some other boats in the marina that aren't on lifts and see how bad they look, a lot of times the build up has to do with the water conditions, if it's only a like scum maybe you can get by with anchoring and taking a swim to clean it whenever you go out,
yes a trailer comes with the boat. I was gonna wait to buy a truck thinking I had some time. I'm new here to Texas so don't know too many people yet. I'll check with the marina see if they offer a service

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I would for sure NOT paint it, I would think for sure the marina would be able to pull it out for you. Or at worse case, another boater from there, I know I would be glad to Liu a guys boat out for him. hell I'm cheap too , buy me a beer and we're good!!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have an option to dry dock it where they store it on a rack and you call ahead when you want to use the boat? That might be an option up until you install a lift or one of the boat ramps/pads that others have also used. With dry dock they might also store it inside for you so you wouldn't need to cover/uncover on every outing.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've seen a few folks rent a u-haul truck to launch and retrieve their boats. I still maintain you can get a lift cheap. I bought mine from someone at the marina that had sold their boat and just wanted out.

Also, I know you are in Rowlett, but have you checked out Lewisville? Much better lake IMHO. If the water gets any lower on Hubbard, the lake will be unusable.

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Do you have an option to dry dock it where they store it on a rack and you call ahead when you want to use the boat? That might be an option up until you install a lift or one of the boat ramps/pads that others have also used. With dry dock they might also store it inside for you so you wouldn't need to cover/uncover on every outing.
No dry dock its just a covered slip. They are asking 2k for the year.

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've seen a few folks rent a u-haul truck to launch and retrieve their boats. I still maintain you can get a lift cheap. I bought mine from someone at the marina that had sold their boat and just wanted out.

Also, I know you are in Rowlett, but have you checked out Lewisville? Much better lake IMHO. If the water gets any lower on Hubbard, the lake will be unusable.
Lewisville is like 45 min away. I live right on Ray Hubbard I like it

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Scarabsteve: Congrats on the neato new purchase !
Looking forward to seeing lots of new photos !
And so glad you decided to join our Happy Family here !
Enjoy yourself !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

And, oh yeah ...........

+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 12 - ScarabSteve.jpg

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Where's the best place to get a lift? New to Dallas

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I leave my boat in the water all summer. I haul it out once a month and clean the hull. No big deal. I don't have a tow vehicle either but I have friends who do. Amazing how easily they can be bribed with a couple of beers.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where's the best place to get a lift ? New to Dallas
You might get lucky and ask around @ marinas. They know people who are done with their "boating" (for now).
Taking this task seriously, putting some effort into it, usually produces some good results.
And remember ....... WHO you ask @ a marina can determine if you get the right answer.
This means you may have to ask at a particular marine more than once, at different times.
Good luck.
Also, you may wish to get educated as to what TYPE of lift you are looking for.
How to do this ? Well, 1) Know which lake you wanna put the lift into. Then
2) Go find 3 lift companies and get their input as to what type of lift you should buy, knowing your boat, it's length, and weight (with fuel, etc).
Then, knowing what TYPE OF LIFT you wish to purchase can put you in the driver's seat when you speak to marinas about potential sellers they may know about.
Good Luck. ANd best wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I leave my boat in the water all summer. I haul it out once a month and clean the hull. No big deal. I don't have a tow vehicle either but I have friends who do. Amazing how easily they can be bribed with a couple of beers.
So it's not too bad if I leave my boat in the water as long as I clean the hull?