• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

any Excel or google sheets experts out there ??????

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've volunteered to run our club's skeet shoot this year and would like to automate the scoring and tracking as much as possible.

I've worked with spreadsheets a lot in the past but some of what I need I can seem search out how to make it happen for example,

one sheet will track that days shooting scores and totals ( I've got that one completed)
another sheet or page would automatically grab that info and sort the score total by shooter (for an overall total so it would need to grab from several daily shoots)

I've got 6 weeks to try to figure something out,

any help would be appreciated,

=SUM('Jan Match'!D2,'FEB MATCH'!D2,'MAR Match'!D2,'APR Match'!D2,and so on).
D2 is the cell you want to get sum for each tab, APR Match/Jan Match/Feb Match is the name of the tabs. So this way of coding you need the competitor name in the same row throughout the tabs and add new ones on the bottom. Maybe theres other ways that are better but this is the only one i could think of right now.
1703614390089.png

I've volunteered to run our club's skeet shoot this year and would like to automate the scoring and tracking as much as possible.

I've worked with spreadsheets a lot in the past but some of what I need I can seem search out how to make it happen for example,

one sheet will track that days shooting scores and totals ( I've got that one completed)
another sheet or page would automatically grab that info and sort the score total by shooter (for an overall total so it would need to grab from several daily shoots)

I've got 6 weeks to try to figure something out,

any help would be appreciated,
Let me ask around at work. We have a bunch of interns and young engineers that eat this shit up, and some can use it as a class project ?

Send me a PM if still need help. Should be pretty basic stuff. If you're feeling frisky you can make some charts or import it into PowerBI and get real fancy.

Send me a PM if still need help. Should be pretty basic stuff. If you're feeling frisky you can make some charts or import it into PowerBI and get real fancy.
I was going to offer to help as well, but it sounds like you're probably better at this than I am.

I can easily grab from multiple sheets and generate a table, but the auto-sort, and auto-charting usually trips me up. I still do most of that stuff manually.

I'm in the same boat as @2kwik4u , I run our golf league, and after the manual entry of scores each week, there's one basic sort that I automated, but I have 2 other criteria that I do manually.

I keep religious backups, and I recommend you do as well, because if something gets messed up, you'll be kicking yourself when trying to piece it all back together. I've got a template set up that can't be messed up without serious effort and input on my part, so I can pass it along to whoever takes over the job after I am not at the helm

thanks for everyone's input and some more playing and a night to think about it, making some good progress,

I'm in the same boat as @2kwik4u , I run our golf league, and after the manual entry of scores each week, there's one basic sort that I automated, but I have 2 other criteria that I do manually.

I keep religious backups, and I recommend you do as well, because if something gets messed up, you'll be kicking yourself when trying to piece it all back together. I've got a template set up that can't be messed up without serious effort and input on my part, so I can pass it along to whoever takes over the job after I am not at the helm
100% agree with the backups. Especially if there is any money on the line.

I can't remember who ran our "Biggest Loser" contest here on the site a few years back, but they had a google form that dumped the data into a spreadsheet. In terms of automation on the day of the shoot, this might be something to consider. Might also help to spread the workload, if you have a LOT of data to enter, you could have 2-3 "Approved Score Keepers" help take down the data......You can also skin this cat without the forms, so long as the sheet is stored online and is shareable with appropriate permissions setup.

Moving from that, I would highly recommend separating the data input page from the calculation of score page. Will make it easier to troubleshoot if someone challenges.

Speaking of challenges, have your scoring formula hand written with you in person. Run some test scores as examples, and make that known. If anyone challenges, this gives you the ability to have 2-3 people verify the score by hand, and removes any issues someone might have with the spreadsheet.

Good luck!

Back