• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

any old school IDI diesel mechanics ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper @djetok

I have a 1994 F350 7.3L IDI factory turbo, 152k miles

I had a leaking return line cap at #5 and #7, enough to smell diesel in the cab at stop lights and a 8" puddle when I would park it for the night.

I replaced 3-5-7 orings, and had no more leaks except the crossover line goes between 5-6 in front of the turbo and was leaking, It was a different type of hose and kept getting mangled when I would try to connect it. I can't disconnect at 6 because the clamp is directly underneath two steel injector lines. when I then noticed #4-6 have an oring coming out the top of the cap ????? but those aren't leaking ??????

Now that I have the whole top off I figured if that's messed up to just pull the injector lines to give easy access and replace all the fuel lines and at least attempt to fix it correctly.

Should I be able to pull the injector lines off the pump without much consequence, the same as pulling them off at the injector (screw off/screw on)?

Also I noticed the ceramic on two of the glow plugs appear to be cracking and about to separate. is this a problem or will be shortly I'd rather replace them now while everything else is off, the glow plug system appears to be working correctly.

oring.jpg oring 2.jpg glow plug crack.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a member at Ford Trucks (FTE), they have some great info but only 5-6 guys that really post in the older engine sections and there not always on every day,

luckily one responded, glow plugs shouldn't be a problem, leave them be,

disconnecting line at the pump is possible but the bottom two lines on the pump are difficult to reach so maybe I'll just disconnect all at the injector and hopefully lift it enough to clear the cap,

Good morning zipper, enjoy the coffee, expected high of 48* today,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm a member at Ford Trucks (FTE), they have some great info but only 5-6 guys that really post in the older engine sections and there not always on every day,

disconnecting line at the pump is possible but the bottom two lines on the pump are difficult to reach so maybe I'll just disconnect all at the injector and hopefully lift it enough to clear the cap,

Love it...when I get my local weather report from @Scottintexas .
Funny, I am enjoying the coffee at 5am. As far as the glow plugs, leave them as is, i agree with that guy. If you have not had an issue with cold starts and reduced mileage. My Duramax starts on only 4. It threw a code for a bad glow plug. So I bought one at the dealer $$. Upon attempting to remove the bad one, it snapped off. There is a process for drilling them out, without removing the head. But I was not 100% confident doing it, so I left it with 7. That was 4 years ago, 3 others have failed since. Mileage is down, but it still starts at 0° and -20° when block heater is plugged in. And I mostly use it for towing things, short distances. ie. Boat, hay wagons and livestock trailer. Wait, squirrel...no 4 deer in the yard cleaning up acorns thru the snow, still too early for the Tervuren to start growling/barking.20180421_055638.jpg

Back to the 7.3l, I never had any fuel delivery problems with it. It did have a dead short, when I bought it, PO, had put in a boat battery switch in the grill to turn off the batteries. Ended up being the wire from a solinoid controlling a hyd. pump for the lift gate on the back, prior use as a welding gas bottle delivery truck. Been a few years since I have been in that engine bay, since we stopped buying sheep milk and making cheese. When the sun comes up...I will go down and pop the hood for reference to your situation concerning the high pressure lines.20180421_074451.jpg

First cup finished, going back for refill. Really hoping this snow melts, we skip spring and jump directly to summer. :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Definitely agree on the glow plugs. Just be careful not to kink the lines, they will leak as well if kinking them too much. I am heading to the shop and if I'm there when my diesel mechanic is there I will ask him.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the help, Just realized I had an extra length of hose that will crossover, bought some new orings for the two injectors and going to try to just pull the line at the injector and patch work it this afternoon,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Success! between the rain showers and a trip to NAPA and oriley's it's done, now I did break my turbo pressure gauge line but that was probably 20 yrs old and really brittle.

All the injectors on the drivers side had an oring stuck on top so I think the previous guy had thought it would help seal them,