• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any tips or tricks to getting a 242 in the garage?

Captain Obvious

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks or gadgets they've come up with in order to get their boat in their garage. I currently keep my 242 Limited S in a warehouse but eventually want to bring it home every once in a while. I have 8' doors on the garage. I think if i remember correctly that the winshield is 8' tall on the trailer without the wake tower. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2 tricks I know if you only need a couple of inches. FYI - These tips don't work on your man parts.
1. If you have an adjustable hitch, drop it as low as it will go when backing into the garage.
2. Lower the air pressure in the trailer tires when backing into the garage. Don't forget to refill the tires in the garage.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There's an extensive post I had for getting my 212X into my 8' garage from 1 year ago - search for it.

I highly doubt you could get the 242 through an 8' tall garage opening, considering my 212X literally clears it by a gnat's nut hair. All this while the bimini is completely removed and the tower's retainer wires removed.

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I swapped the original wheels and tires about 27.5 inches diameter to 10 inch wheels and 20 inch diameter tires.. Had to remove brakes and trailer hub was changed out for one without a rotor. We only tow 1000 feet to the launch and back. Looking at a Kodiak 8" hub and brake kit to put the brakes back on. Oh we hose clamped the calipers to the axle for safe keeping, we didn't want to pull the brake lines or get water in them. We gained about 3 3/4 inches to get our 242x under the awning on the mobile home.

AEmedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to take on the challenge of getting my AR240 through the 8' door and into my garage for the winter. I have been considering HD casters mounted to the frame or smaller diameter wheels as Brian mentioned. I'd like to get it low enough to just lower the tower and roll it in.

AEmedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone used u-bolts to mount casters on the 2" X 3" axle tubes? That is my plan, casters just inside the spring perches and one on the tongue. This would net 6" - 7"...

aug0211

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi there, first post here.

Curious if you wound up getting the boat in? Also, what is it like taking off the tower? Something that can be done each time the boat is used, or is that a once a year sort of deal?

Thanks for the help and I hope it went well for you!