• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone build a "car port" for their boat? know height/width needed for 242x?

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am considering a permanent structure to store my boat off season. I am curious if anyone has ever built such a thing or has had one built? I am thinking I want it to fit the potential next boat size (currently have a 242xe but maybe a 27x or whatever in my future).

Just initial planning going on now I am thinking I would find the diy design plans for a car port (plenty of them out there) then modify the height to fit the boat and likely hire a contractor to build it.

Anyone know the height clearance I need for the 242x on trailer (tower folded)?

Any other input appreciated.

thanks...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Height on Trailer: 10' 11"
Height on Trailer with tower folded: 10'

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't know what kind of bimini your boat has but my AR240 bimini comes off pretty easy. I replaced the tires with the smallest recommended size I could get on the stock rim and purchased shorter bunk brackets from Shorelander. With the tower folded down I can squeak in to a 92" high car port. Under Car Port.jpg

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not know what kind of zoning or HOA restrictions you may face, but you might want to look at a steel carport. They are one of the most cost effective solutions. We have some land up in Northern Georgia, and we had two steel carports installed (one over our RV site {concrete pad, county water, power and septic system} and one for our tractor). The tractor shed is also wide and tall enough to accommodate our boat between the tractor and implements. The sheds are 24x31 and 31x31; both have 12 foot legs - 14+ feet of clearance in the center). We opted for the heavier more rigid legs and roofs; they are good for 130 mph winds. I have been there during windy days (25-30 mph) and a few severe thunderstorms, and they do not shudder or creak. When they were installed (both on the same day by a crew of 3), the roof guy was walking all over the roof without any flexing.
FWIW - cost about 5.5K and 6.5K delivered/installed/taxes. You can, of course, enclose them and have roll up doors for more money.

RV site with Lance and Kubota.jpg

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't know what kind of bimini your boat has but my AR240 bimini comes off pretty easy. I replaced the tires with the smallest recommended size I could get on the stock rim and purchased shorter bunk brackets from Shorelander. With the tower folded down I can squeak in to a 92" high car port. View attachment 159250
I bet that squeaks when you back it in! Nice work.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bet that squeaks when you back it in! Nice work.
Its a very narrow street in a mobile home park and I have it down pretty good. I have a front hitch on my truck so I am able to push it in. Backing it in would be much more difficult. Boat storage in Lake Havasu, AZ is a gold mine. Anyone who wants to invest in a business should build a storage facility there. Its crazy expensive and they are all full! Anyway, I was glad she fit in there. Saves me a ton of money and when its 110-115 degrees during the day, you do not want your boat sitting out in the sun for very long.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I want some kind of cover over our boat too. The 2011 tower doesn’t fold (not that saving 1’ is much). But finding something tall and wide enough may be an issue. I haven’t started shopping prices yet