• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone controlling their stereo from a smartwatch?

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If its the newer Fusion (RA70) head units, I have noticed that it pulls a bluetooth signal without regard to volume of the device. I both love this and hate this because I used to use my phone (and Apple watch) to adjust volume as well as track. Now it's just track. As mentioned above, the ANT compatible remotes are probably the way to go and its what I will be getting for my boat.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If its the newer Fusion (RA70) head units, I have noticed that it pulls a bluetooth signal without regard to volume of the device. I both love this and hat this because I used to use my phone (and Apple watch) to adjust volume as well as track. Now it's just track. As mentioned above, the ANT compatible remotes are probably the way to go and it what I will be getting for my boat.
Well, this would explain my problems then.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Exactly what I was figuring. My older fusion didn't do this, but since it shorted out, the new Fusion brings new tricks. At least now I have satellite radio.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've been using Suunto watches for several years, and the new ones do this. I don't have Android, but the functionality with Apple is great. Suunto watches have been the toughest watches I've ever used for work or play. Pricey, but as a side benefit you get a cool watch to wear!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been using Suunto watches for several years, and the new ones do this. I don't have Android, but the functionality with Apple is great. Suunto watches have been the toughest watches I've ever used for work or play. Pricey, but as a side benefit you get a cool watch to wear!
Have a reccomendation? I've been close to a Garmin Fenix for awhile now, and these are a similar price point.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the garmin vivoactive 3....think it's 3, or maybe 4. Either way I do remedial things with it, change songs and things like that. Generally I just have the radio on, so not something I mess with anywho.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’m using the Suunto 9 I believe, the new one that came out is the 7? In my opinion the Suunto is a bit more rugged, but honestly it’s a computer on your wrist so it’s always going to be in some danger of breaking.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run spotify via my S9+ and control volume and track from my Gear watch. I adjust the volume down a few notches for the bluetooth on the phone and adjust the HU up. That gives me a few up adjustments as well as down.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife just ordered one of these for me at my request (bday gift), mostly for the boating features especially fusion link but I like that I don’t need to pair it with my phone to play music or to use the mapping features.

I will be buying other bands (most likely the $50 to $80 variants not the $100 to $300 options).

This will be the most expensive watch I’ve ever owned, I also got the three year protection plan for it (I know it’s cheap compared to many other watches, even other garmin models, they are up to version 6 now and have a few models in the $2k range which i would not consider unless I win the lottery and even so $2k plus is a lot of money for watch). I hope it’s not a POS. It will replace my first gen Apple Watch as well as my $35 and until recently ultra reliable timex, which developed a leak last weekend.

if it works out I may buy and install a compatible garmin depth/fish finder/chart plotter. Time will tell.

7D4D3BCE-EADE-499D-B0CF-F5E4010D9772.png

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
oh nice. let us know how the boat connectivity stuff works. I wish my Fenix would do that.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Use the Fusion link app from the Apple Phone but if you are in the water swimming, the Apple Watch can control your music assuming you are Bluetooth linked to your stereo.
Its a must have but especially on a waverunner. Stow the phone away and use the watch for most crtical functions.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JBehrens thanks for the idea. This might be what we need right here. Really just need to skip songs and adjust volume from the water.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oh nice. let us know how the boat connectivity stuff works. I wish my Fenix would do that.
Which Fenix do you have? That's the smartwatch I've had my eyes on for a few years. How do you like it?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Which Fenix do you have? That's the smartwatch I've had my eyes on for a few years. How do you like it?
5S plus. I have small wrists hence the small version. Haha. I love it. I use it for mountain biking. Got rid of my dedicated cycling computer. It’s cool to have during water sports because you can see your gps speed

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ZGhost , do you have a fusion head unit on your waverunner? If so please post pics of it mounted. I’m just thinking of next years mods. I can change the track and volume on the blue tooth speakers I currently have with my phone safety tucked away But that is about it.

Back to the thread. You can pick up a Fenix 5 sapphire on amazon now for under $400 before taxes and extended warranty. The only reason I didn’t buy it is that it is not fusion link app compatible.

06E7DB08-6BE7-4DA5-AD36-E597E8A5927A.png

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry for the confusion @Ronnie, the fusion stereo and app comment was meant for the boat. My GP1800 Waverunner does not have a fusion stereo but that would be a cool idea. I have a JBL Bluetooth waterproof speaker mounted behind me on the handle grab and it’s linked to my iPhone. I control the music and other phone functions from the Apple Watch on the wrist without having to take the iphone out of its protective watertight sealed case.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry for the confusion @Ronnie, the fusion stereo and app comment was meant for the boat. My GP1800 Waverunner does not have a fusion stereo but that would be a cool idea. I have a JBL Bluetooth waterproof speaker mounted behind me on the handle grab and it’s linked to my iPhone. I control the music and other phone functions from the Apple Watch on the wrist without having to take the iphone out of its protective watertight sealed case.
No problem, I may look into installing head units on my waverunners but probably not for a while, at least until one or both if my blue tooth speakers dies.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This just came in today. Set up was easy, I’m looking forward riding my bike tomorrow and testing out the fusion link app.
CCD4713E-C7B5-426F-AF4B-E2F657861F64.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love my quartix 5 .

It works as advertised for all my activities like biking, running and of course boating. I have a very common problem in that I don’t always remember to use it, especially when boating, in part because I can more easily control the stereo from my iPhone when I near but not on the boat. When I’m near the boat I can use the rear remote.

Still the watch had been great, I only charge it once every 7 to 10 days and blue tooth is always enabled. I also bought a leather band, a premium metal band and a bunch of colored plastic bands so it’s easy for me to match whatever I’m wearing.

Not really a fair comparison to my Apple Watch because it was a first generation but that watch overall sucked (especially battery wise from day one). The quartz looks and feels more like a conventional watch. If it’s not the last watch I own a later model of it will be.