• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone controlling their stereo from a smartwatch?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my quartix 5 .

It works as advertised for all my activities like biking, running and of course boating. I have a very common problem in that I don’t always remember to use it, especially when boating, in part because I can more easily control the stereo from my iPhone when I near but not on the boat. When I’m near the boat I can use the rear remote.

Still the watch had been great, I only charge it once every 7 to 10 days and blue tooth is always enabled. I also bought a leather band, a premium metal band and a bunch of colored plastic bands so it’s easy for me to match whatever I’m wearing.

Not really a fair comparison to my Apple Watch because it was a first generation but that watch overall sucked (especially battery wise from day one). The quartz looks and feels more like a conventional watch. If it’s not the last watch I own a later model of it will be.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I'm close to pulling the trigger on something, and am narrowing my options. Goal is to have something on my wrist by the first boat outing of the season.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The quatix 6 is the most current model but at the time I bought the 5 I didn’t think the new features / functions were worth the extra $200. Not sure why they started with 5 since there are no models 1 through 4 but I wouldn’t buy the 1st version anyway having the 1st version of the Apple Watch. I’ve almost lost my Apple Watch several times because of the way the bands are (un)secured. Not problems with the Garmin the bands click on securely.

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have used my Apple Watch connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone for a couple years now. Typically we use t he watch to switch songs, make column adjustments and change Sirius stations via streaming app on my phone. I use Amazon music and last year upgraded to HD so sound quality is great with the phone left in the boat. It works great and usually has about a 25-30 foot range. Just make sure to keep the phone out of direct sunlight for long periods of time or else it will overheat and the music stops.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well.....a little update here........I started this thread in Mar of '20. Here it is Nov '21 and I've finally made a decision. Anyone that tells me I don't do enough research clearly hasn't played this level of "long game" :D :D

I've been on/off again about getting a smart watch. Felt it was a bit of a one trick pony, and I couldn't justify it for a number of reasons. I even found a different remote that works to control the phone from the swim deck, so then I was even more, kind of just "meh" about the whole thing.

Well, I've set some goals for myself for next year, and they're mostly centered around fitness, and I got to looking at fitness trackers only, and then kind thought it would be nice to get something with phone alerts on it, and then it would be nice if it did GPS based speed/time tracking, then it would be nice if it had these golf features, then it would be nice..........Anyway, you get the idea. I fell down the rabit hole of smartwatch tech, and landed on a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar.

It has GPS based guidance for Mountain and Road (err, death machine) bicycle riding. It does similar guidance for motorcycle riding. It has some golf features for my budding golf hobby. It also has GPS tie-ins with other Garmin chart plotters. Of course does normal "smartwatch" things as well like get alerts and notifications and such. Oh yea, it's supposed to control Spotify from the watch as well. Basically "all the things" in one device. Good grief it's expensive though. Had a black Friday sale for $250 off, and it's still $550 (Holy crap I can't believe I'm spending this much money on a watch!!).

I went back and forth on size. The X series has a 51mm dial, the S series is a 42mm dial, and the "normal" size is a 47mm. I did a ton of research on wrist size vs dial size, and came to the conclusion that the 47mm is the one for me. I have a 163mm wrist circumference as of these pics, in case anyone wants to compare what the watches might look like on their arm.

Here's a regular Fenix 6 on my wrist. 47mm dial with silicone band.
1638197053204.png <--Click to make bigger

Here's my "daily driver" watch that my wife got me a few years ago. This is a Fossil that has a 38mm face and 47mm overall diameter. It looks much larger than what it measures.
1638197154968.png <--Click to make bigger

Here's the exact one I ordered. Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar About the same coloration as my current daily wear, feels like it'll be about the same size. Not sure how I'm going to like the silicone band, although I'm guessing the whole thing will be slightly more comfortable. The Fossil weighs a freaking ton between it's stainless casing, and metal bracelet style band. The Garmin should be lighter and easier to wear daily.

New device should be here this week. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as I test it out doing "all of the things"

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
death machine... teehee! :p

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why not go with the quatix 5 or 6? I went that route (5) because it allows me to control the fusion stereo in my boat but use it more to track my biking and jogging activity. I think bands are interchangeable for the most part, 6 silicone bands of differ colors cost me less than $50, I spent about the same for a charging stand and cable as well as for a nice metal band and a leather one. After having had it for two seasons I realize that I rarely use it to control my boats stereo but it’s so good at everything else it may be the last watch I ever buy unless it breaks or I lose it in which case I would buy the latest gain quatix available. Expensive? Yes but if you use it for an extended period of time it’s worth every penny. My only concern is how long the battery will last. On my first gen Apple Watch I couldn’t track my activity on the ski slopes for a day before the battery needed to be charged. I’ve gone over a week and without having to charge the quatix.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not go with the quatix 5 or 6? I went that route (5) because it allows me to control the fusion stereo in my boat but use it more to track my biking and jogging activity. I think bands are interchangeable for the most part, 6 silicone bands of differ colors cost me less than $50, I spent about the same for a charging stand and cable as well as for a nice metal band and a leather one. After having had it for two seasons I realize that I rarely use it to control my boats stereo but it’s so good at everything else it may be the last watch I ever buy unless it breaks or I lose it in which case I would buy the latest gain quatix available. Expensive? Yes but if you use it for an extended period of time it’s worth every penny. My only concern is how long the battery will last. On my first gen Apple Watch I couldn’t track my activity on the ski slopes for a day before the battery needed to be charged. I’ve gone over a week and without having to charge the quatix.
I looked at the Quatix line. They're essentially the same hardware as the Fenix line. The Fenix doesn't have the boating features enabled from the factory, though I think you can upload the apps to enable them after the fact. The Quatix is a bit more expensive, and also only available in the 51mm size, and I thought those would be a shade large for my smaller wrist size.

I'm really hoping I get some good use from this thing. I don't mind spending money on good equipment if I actually use it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a smart watch (Samsung Gear S3?), I thought I'd use it for much more, but in reality I use if for:
  1. Watch features - time, date
  2. Step counter (I had a dedicated step counter before but they kept dying)
  3. Notifications - meeting/message alerts
  4. Phone separate - as in my watch complains if I go too far from my phone (as in go to leave the house without my phone).
I thought I'd use it for
  1. heart rate - but it seems I wear my watch too loosely for it to reliably keep track of HR (may by user issue- perhaps the newer ones do better-mine is 2 years old).
  2. apps - like Spotify....but I typically have my phone right there
  3. Pay methods - like Samsung Pay - I used it a few times, but I always have my wallet with me, so just pull out the card. I probably could get away without carrying a wallet if I tried....but just haven't pushed that yet (this thread is making me wonder though...)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Julian strongly consider using the watch to pay. It is not only significantly faster but also much safer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian strongly consider using the watch to pay. It is not only significantly faster but also much safer.
I've been paying with my phone for awhile now. Have a credit card dedicated to those transactions for account segregation.

I'm really curious to see how the Fenix works out with Garmin Pay. I've hear mixed reviews due to the lack of touchscreen and the button interface being less than fast.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’m a full on sheeple. Apple Watch all the way lol

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm a big fan of Garmin. I'm on my 3rd, or 4th now. I have the vivoactive 3 and getting the 4 for Christmas. I put them through hell as well. Never take mine off except to shower and that's when I charge it. Working on boats, cars, house, etc it's always on. I wear it surfing, swimming, worn it snorkeling all over the world.....you get the idea. Only replacing this one as I couldn't really figure out what to get for Christmas and started looking at a new watch. Really wanted to like a fitbit, but the reviews are horrendous. So, you'll be more than happy with your Garmin. I use mine more for tracking my workouts than anything else.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve had a Fenix 5 for awhile, love it. The Garmin phone app is great for tracking workout/health info. I love the ability for pulling grids off the watch and backup nav capabilities. (Not for boating, I’ve never ventured anywhere that’s been a issue on the water)

I found the fusion app on the garmin to be a little finicky, the watch has a separate music control function for my iPhone I find to be much easier to use.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve had a Fenix 5 for awhile, love it. The Garmin phone app is great for tracking workout/health info. I love the ability for pulling grids off the watch and backup nav capabilities. (Not for boating, I’ve never ventured anywhere that’s been a issue on the water)

I found the fusion app on the garmin to be a little finicky, the watch has a separate music control function for my iPhone I find to be much easier to use.
Any issues with the Fenix in Salt Water? I've read where the barometer/altimeter doesn't play nice with the salt water, so Garmin removed that sensor from some of the open water swim metrics to attempt to make it last longer.

I'm really hoping I like the 47mm size. I was on the fence about getting the 51mm (X) vs the 47mm, but was afraid I wouldn't like it being that large on my wrist all the time.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any issues with the Fenix in Salt Water? I've read where the barometer/altimeter doesn't play nice with the salt water, so Garmin removed that sensor from some of the open water swim metrics to attempt to make it last longer.

I'm really hoping I like the 47mm size. I was on the fence about getting the 51mm (X) vs the 47mm, but was afraid I wouldn't like it being that large on my wrist all the time.
I have dainty wrists. I have the small Fenix and love it. 16383168392126386507517556248433.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It’s only a 4mm difference but if the display is bigger as well I’d go with the 51mm, especially if your vision isn’t what it used to be.
image.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the wrist shots @tabbibus and @Ronnie I'll be certain to throw a new shot up here once mine is in and I have it somewhat setup. I suspect I'll be monkeying with it for a few days intially then be tweaking it for weeks to come.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are tons of faces available l, many for free. I messed with mine a lot at first but now rarely touch it. It provides me with a lot more information than I need, like steps climbed (I could care less but don’t want to mess with the settings anymore).

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are tons of faces available l, many for free. I messed with mine a lot at first but now rarely touch it. It provides me with a lot more information than I need, like steps climbed (I could care less but don’t want to mess with the settings anymore).
This is so true. I've had the same face since I got it. Changed it once and NOPED right back to my original face. haha

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I haven’t had any salt water issues, this was my 3rd summer with the watch on the water.