• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone else having this problem with thrusters?

Nous Defions

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both sides seem to tilted. Do I need to remove them and heat them up so they don't lean? Did this happen from hitting something. Been like this since I bought the boat. Just getting around to asking.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are you talking about the fins or the nozzle itself ?

Nous Defions

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Talking about the fins. They are canted.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Both sides seem to tilted. Do I need to remove them and heat them up so they don't lean? Did this happen from hitting something. Been like this since I bought the boat. Just getting around to asking.
Yours look slightly different than mine. Have you tried taking them apart and bending out the metal bracket a little? Mine the actual "plastic" was bent in the corner, but not the whole thing like yours.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yours look to be the older version without the added rear cross bar or the jet spray deflector. @JetBoatPilot should be able to help you out.

Nous Defions

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was able to disassemble them. I straightened out the bar and heated the plastic fins with a torch, then clamped a couple of 2X4s on it till it cooled. Much straighter now. These do have a small tube behind the bar, which adds support. Should be good for a while, did not take much heat to make them flex, must be the hot Florida heat that twisted them. Jet Boat Pilot did offer to sell me a new set for $150, would not warranty since I was not the original purchaser. I will pay attention to the spray though, never thought about it until now. Maybe change over to the Cobra Jets if this fix doesn't help.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was able to disassemble them. I straightened out the bar and heated the plastic fins with a torch, then clamped a couple of 2X4s on it till it cooled. Much straighter now. These do have a small tube behind the bar, which adds support. Should be good for a while, did not take much heat to make them flex, must be the hot Florida heat that twisted them. Jet Boat Pilot did offer to sell me a new set for $175, would not warranty since I was not the original purchaser. I will pay attention to the spray though, never thought about it until now. Maybe change over to the Cobra Jets if this fix doesn't help.
That's good information to have. I wasn't the original purchaser and couldn't really find much information on the warranty. If I run into issues again I'll prolly switch to Cobra Jets. At this point I've spent enough money getting the boat water ready, that dropping more than a few $$ here or there is out of the question......unless something HAD to be replaced.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s a bit disappointing they were not covered since you weren’t the original owner.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The problem is that we don't have any of those parts on hand anymore. We're more than glad to send out replacement parts if we have them but when they've been replaced by newer versions we don't make the older version any more. I did offer to check to see if I could find a set that I could warranty with. Hopefully the issue was fixed with bending the parts back but if not we will do what we can to help.

Nous Defions

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
JetBoatPilot, I was able to heat and twist the plastic fins back into shape. You do have a good point on metal fins also bending if hit right, but I would think it would have to be a pretty significant hit. Your offer to replace my old ones for $150 also seems pretty fair being new cost over $400.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The problem is that we don't have any of those parts on hand anymore. We're more than glad to send out replacement parts if we have them but when they've been replaced by newer versions we don't make the older version any more. I did offer to check to see if I could find a set that I could warranty with. Hopefully the issue was fixed with bending the parts back but if not we will do what we can to help.
I’m not sure I’m reading this right. But putting aside wether or not warped fins are a covers defect; are you saying that your “lifetime warranty” is only good until the item has been replaced by a newer product?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the event someone did not buy from us, like a used set, it is not customary to replace an old set with a brand new set. If you're the original purchaser we swap no questions asked. In his case we're trying to help. Again it is not customary in this situation but we're working to help as best as we can.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In the event someone did not buy from us, like a used set, it is not customary to replace an old set with a brand new set. If you're the original purchaser we swap no questions asked. In his case we're trying to help. Again it is not customary in this situation but we're working to help as best as we can.
Thanks, I missed that part in your reply.

To be clear, if the OP had been the original purchaser you would be able to send out a newer/updated design without an additional charge?

(Excluding shipping and handling)

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes if original purchaser no questions asked, swap for new if we cant send parts to replace.

tomoc sx190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know what year and model your boat is and thrust vector but it looks to me on the right side the spring is on the outside of the blade I have the thrust vector x on my. Sx190 I installed and the springs are on the inside of the blades

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For the record I use 6061-t6 tempered aluminum on my fins I can tell you it would be very difficult to damage a set of my spring loaded super Ultimates . Even the non spring loaded fins like the super magnum systems do not have issues with the fins bending as the position of the fins is above the rudder considerably so even though MY systems offer BOTH slow speed and high speed influence. it is not a problem nor is spray a problem nor do my systems bend the bolts attaching the fins to the nozzle, I can honestly say go drive around some areas where people dock their boats on lifts and you can see how the COBRA steering looks after many years in use and how other fins look I did that one day VERY enlightening!

Keep in mind my steering systems do have sacrificial parts made of a softer aluminum that is designed to bend on an impact to protect the factory parts from being harmed I have very few incidents of damage One was due to a fork lift operator launching the boat, I covered that but I really should not have. I had one involved in an accident ON THE HIGHWAY on the trailer being hit from behind by a car. I have covered under my warranty a heavily damaged VIPER that struck a submerged rock wall built by native Americans to catch fish in the Connecticut river I covered it under my warranty . See pictures below and the factory parts were not harmed even with the amount of damage to the viper .
What surprises me is The bad information that gets spread to scare people from buying real steering for all speeds. I guess that is why Yamaha does not make full time steering , oh wait they do I wonder why? because someone keeps beating the drum about full time steering being bad for your boat. REALLY!
So Bigger is certainly not BETTET when it comes to resistance at the helm, less is not more when it comes to influence and control at all speeds especially when rapidly decelerating and turning or with no thrust. Making effective steering that gives you confidence and control when operating your jet boat at all speeds in wind waves current and when guest operators are behind the helm is not an easy thing to accomplish, but it is a good thing to have and if it is done correctly you won't need to place yourself under the swim platform to put down your kickstand if you beach in shallow water to avoid having the fins come in contact with the ground and damaging the fins . As for warranty coverage I believe the laws are very clear that you must have the warranty in writing and it must be available for potential customers to read prior to making a purchase.
I personally have my warranty posted on my web page , if you do a search you may find several discussions I have had with a competitor regarding this law so perhaps if his warranty is not clear on exclusions you may want to revisit that issue. Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a twin engine 242 with articulating keel with my super magnum AK steering with fangs the boat owner anchored the boat and somehow it broke loose from it's anchor, it landed on the beach transom first. the factory rudder was broken off the hull , MY steering was not injured the 2 tie rods held the rudder between the nozzles and allowed the owner to drive the boat back to the ramp with no issues. This was posted on facebook by the owner.
1603914816439.png 1603914834509.png

Top Bottom