• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone else in Mass can't register their trailer BS?!?!?!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is complete BS. I switched to Geico a few months back for my auto insurance because it was almost half of Allstate. Now I need to renew my boat trailer registration and Geico wont give me the RMV-1 form or an insurance stamp because its over 3000lbs. They say don't have the ability to cover trailers in Mass over the 3000lb weight limit. I know people are going to say its covered by the towing vehicle but in Mass it needs to be listed on your policy and some companies wont do it. What are others doing? My closest option is progressive who says that will cover it and list it but the policy is $1300 more a year for 3 cars. This is BS.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trailer is covered under my boat insurance policy I would possibly look at just moving your boat insurance to a company that will cover the trailer and list it as insured as well.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trailer is listed on my boat policy but that is for theft/damage etc not road liability. Boat policies don't cover you on the road.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try to register it at 30o0lbs. As long as you don't get pulled over and weighed you'll be alright. I use to live in mass but now in NC liberty mutual charged $7 to addd to my truck it's not insured for theft or anything unless it's hooked to my truck I believe.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weeb Ah but in the great commonwealth of taxachusetts big brother is always watching. The VIN for the trailer is in the RMV computer system and they have all the info on it, including the GVWR. I tried that and then Geico came back and said the weight was 6900lbs according to the RMV.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Modern technology making things difficult lol. Try liberty mutual.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In Texas generally you can insure and uninsured with a phone call. You could insure for a week or two as long as you feel your other coverage would kick in when you need it.
I'm concerned they told you they can't insure the trailer.... Could that be grounds for later claim denial?

Two separate problems. Are you really covered? Are your willing to buy 2 days worth to get it registered?

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NY and MA are similar in this regard. If you drop the coverage the insurer is required to notify the state. If you don't surrender the plates DMV cancels the registration, fines you $8 per day, and after a month they suspend your Driver's licence.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The weight of the trailer is nowhere near the weights that they have listed. The boat and trailer together maybe...

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The weight of the trailer is nowhere near the weights that they have listed. The boat and trailer together maybe...
Yeah I was thinking the same thing at first, but I'm guessing they are talking weight capacity cause I'd bet that trailer doesn't even weigh 3000lbs.

Hector Corzo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Boston and I never had a problem with my insurance. when I first did my registration I give the RMV my old trailer tittle and it says in there what is GVWR and the max load, but it does not specify what is the weight of the boat. my vehicle insurance covers the trailer, I have commerce insurance if you wanna give them a call.
I currently don't have boat insurance because I didn't use it this year..... maybe next year I will look for insurance.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Is geico going by the gvwr of the trailer?

I would try arguing that if they say the “weight of the trailer”, you will go have it weighed at a certified scale and prove it doesn’t weigh even close to 3,000lbs!!! Just weigh it without the boat!!!

I would bet maybe 15-1600lbs if I had to guess.

Good luck and keep us posted how this turns out!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I left Mass in 1972 haven't had to insure a trailer or even get a title for one just a tag but I haven't had to pay excise tax or state income tax since then either or shovel snow for that matter. SO MOVE SOUTH!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trailer is listed on my boat policy but that is for theft/damage etc not road liability. Boat policies don't cover you on the road.
Mine did. a guy sideswipe my boat on the interstate outside of Houston. My insurance, Progressive/Seaworthy, covered the damages to my boat and trailer and kept after the guy’s insurance for several months until they got them to pay for it, then reimbursed my deductible back to me.

SoxFan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just received my Mass RMV bill for the Shorlander Trailer.
Bill for registration is for $120 - twice s much as my cars!
Will try to fight it, but first attempt they said Mass goes by Gross Weight Capacity, which mine is listed as 6000 lbs - is this correct, or should it be the gross weight of the trailer alone?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gross weight of the trailer is how much the trailer weighs plus how much it is rated to carry.
6000 sounds right to me, probably has 2 3000lb rated axles.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the registration is for the trailer only. You are not getting the license for your boat. I live in Ohio and in order to get plates for the trailer, I had to have the trailer weight with out the boat. And of course, no where is their a listed weight of the trailer itself. So option 1, take boat off at lake and go to local truck stop and get trailer weighed on scales or convince scale operator the weight of the boat and have them subtract it from total weight. I went with option #2 and was lucky. Provided me with the slip stated scales used, weight of trailer with trailer serial # scales are certified and name of scale operator. Got plates, no questions asked. My trailer weighed in at 1800 lbs so way less than the 3000 lb requirement of your state. Think of it this way, when people buy those dual axle dump trailers, to pull behind their pickups, the plate is for the weight of the trailer empty, not when it loaded with dirt , sand , whatever, same for your boat trailer.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They do pay for the weight in or on the trailer when they register at GVW of the trailer. You don’t wont to get caught with more weight on the trailer than it is registered for. Mass is a mess that’s why I finally left.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just received my Mass RMV bill for the Shorlander Trailer.
Bill for registration is for $120 - twice s much as my cars!
Will try to fight it, but first attempt they said Mass goes by Gross Weight Capacity, which mine is listed as 6000 lbs - is this correct, or should it be the gross weight of the trailer alone?
Look into registering your trailer in Maine. I registered my kayak/bike trailer for 10 years for small money. https://mainetrailerregistrations.com/