• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have an electric Dirt Bike for the kiddos?!?!?!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Tempting .... but over $20000 for 2 of us.... when good used bikes are 2500 for kids and 3500 for adults...
My concern would be the relatively short ride time. Looks like folks are reporting 1 - 2 hours of ride time between charges. On a much cheaper bike, this might be okay for kids doing laps around the yard/field, but would be woefully insufficient for a day or afternoon out riding the trails.

We don't have bikes but we do have Polaris Aces (single seat UTVs) and love going on the trails for the day.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stock batteries are sealed lead acid, just like in a computer UPS. They are not the best chemistry for frequent deep discharge. My guess is there is little if any voltage protection in the speed controller. They are typically good for 200 cycles if fully discharged, about 400 if discharged to 50%.

Upgrade to Lithium? It would also charge much faster.
I've been considering changing over to lithium. Although after watching him ride this weekend, I think I'm going to just replace the SLA's that are in there with some new ones, and upgrade him to a slightly larger machine over the winter. I can tell he's ready for a little more power, and the frame size in general is a little small for him physically.

Most likely put him on this if it comes into stock over the winter.

I found a couple neat ideas for the Lithium upgrade though. This from VRUZEND looks entertaining, although total cost is around $500 for the cells, the kit, a BMS, and a charger. VRUZEND DIY Battery Kit Might consider this if the 3yr old gets any better on his quad for next season (and still fits it).

I think I'm going to disassemble the battery pack that is in there now, fully discharge it, then try to bring it back with my Battery Tender. I'm unsure if it can "rescue" the cells, but if it's enough to get it back up to a decent level for the remainder of this season I'm sure it'll be fine for him. I only have this little "wall wart" style tender, but it's worked well for the boat battery for the last few seasons. Any thoughts of if this can "bring them back" after I get them apart and back to (3) single 12V units?

Of course a 15Ahr replacement set is only $103 from this place. Might just buy new ones if the "restoration" doesn't work out.

They went out and "did a loop" in the field and the MX500 barely made it the full loop before it was dead. The little 24V quad kept going just fine for another full loop. Each loop is a shade over a mile long. 3yr old is doing well enough with his big brother around that we let them go by themselves on Sunday afternoon. Was mom's idea, so I let them go. They had just a great time they couldn't stop telling everyone they got to go ride "all by themselves".

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My concern would be the relatively short ride time. Looks like folks are reporting 1 - 2 hours of ride time between charges. On a much cheaper bike, this might be okay for kids doing laps around the yard/field, but would be woefully insufficient for a day or afternoon out riding the trails.

We don't have bikes but we do have Polaris Aces (single seat UTVs) and love going on the trails for the day.

Jim
What about one of these? Says they have 35mi range.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t know if the batteries are restorable or not. I can’t say I’ve tried. I thought replacements were inexpensive enough. I bought mine on Amazon for the go kart. I liked getting more AHrs. I think the two in the go kart were 6 AHrs, I got 9s.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well......they came back in stock much faster than I anticipated. early Christmas shopping is done for the 10yr old. Pulled the trigger on this a few minutes ago.

Having it shipped to the office so I can assemble it here, and get it all charged up. Going to be difficult to not ride it around the building a few times between now and the holidays

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Honda 150F dirt bike for my 12 year old. He is working to get to the next level. It is the trail model so it doesn't have the get up and go the "R" does but it works just fine. Not electric obviously.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honda 150F dirt bike for my 12 year old. He is working to get to the next level. It is the trail model so it doesn't have the get up and go the "R" does but it works just fine. Not electric obviously.
If he continues to ride at this rate, well get some gas ones and figure out where they local trails are.

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We don't have trails where I live but there are motorcross parks. We have to pay $20 for a day pass but then he isn't pushing ditches or hay fields. Usually I take 2-4 kids his age over to the park 45 miles from here. They will ride about 4 hours and then they are exhausted.

He rides with his friends almost every night after practice/supper. We go through gas but it isn't breaking my wallet. That is just ditch riding and a few fields outside of town.

Last summer and this spring the market was insane (as bad as boats) on dirt bikes but that bubble burst about July.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Put new batteries in the Facebook Bike over the weekend. 15Ahr upgrade from the 13Ahr that came in it. Batteries were relatively easy to install, just had to remove the old ones and crimp new connectors on.

1634130555555.png

Got 'em for $112 or so from this place if anyone needs a set.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well......they came back in stock much faster than I anticipated. early Christmas shopping is done for the 10yr old. Pulled the trigger on this a few minutes ago.

Having it shipped to the office so I can assemble it here, and get it all charged up. Going to be difficult to not ride it around the building a few times between now and the holidays
Replying to my own post again.....because I keep it classy like that.

Got the Mototec shipped in back in September. Opened it up and assembled it Dec 23rd. Went togethor fairly easily, and had no issues with mechanical aspect. Charger didn't work though. Luckily it was shipped in with a full battery, so Christmas morning was saved. Especially considering we had 70degF weather on Christmas morning. Was able to get an email thread going with support and they walked me through checking connections and voltages. Found a loose wire in the quick disconnect between the charging port and the battery. Took all of 10min to diagnose and repair. Otherwise it seems like a fine machine. Was a nice surprise to find hydraulic brakes instead of cable brakes on this one. Fluid filled dampers, and significantly more aggressive tires are also worthwhile. Didn't realize I was getting a Lithium battery when I bought, I really thought the color was "Lithium Blue".......just me being dumb, so the Li-Ion battery is also a nice upgrade for him.

I'll try to grab some pics when it stops raining and he's out riding around on it. It's a really significant upgrade for him, and he's super excited about it. I'm certain photo ops will be plentiful here soon.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got some pics of the size difference between the two bikes. New one is considerably larger.
PXL_20211229_213636292.jpgPXL_20211229_213642695.jpgPXL_20211229_213647044.jpg

Went for a ride around the neighborhood yesterday. I was riding the new Mt Bike and he was on his new DirtBike. Did about 2.5 miles and it didn't even touch the charge meter. I "races" him down a big hill and with his throttle pinned open I was just barely able to out pedal him. GPS said I hit a high of 27.7mph! Thing is plenty fast for him for certain. Of course, I can't even begin to keep up going uphill.

I rode the new DirtBike up/down the street. Aside from the overly soft suspension for my weight it was quite fun and plenty capable of dragging my butt back up the hill.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Regarding helmets, I would recommend getting a helmet (especially the first time) at a good Motorcycle/ATV dealer. As helmets come in different types, shapes and sizes, they would be able to make sure the helmet fits correctly and the right pads are added. We did this when we bought out three Polaris Ace UTV's.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u How has the MotoTec held up? I am thinking about getting one for my 13 yo. Any advice on helmets (type, brand)? Thanks!
It's done really well actually. He rides it a few times a week, and we keep it sitting on the charger in the garage when not in use. No loss of range that we can tell, and in general all the components are holding up decently. I'm starting to think about brake pads and flushing those systems, and have no idea where to get those parts, so that will be an interesting exercise. I've had the chain come off once, but that was because he ingested some weeds/grass/dirt into the system. Speaking of dirt, he's had it several inches of mud a few times, and it appears to do just fine with the sloppy wet mess of dirt. Everything kept working fine.

I pressure washed it once. That was a mistake. Water got in the connections and created some shorts. Luckily the internal protections just shut everything down. I tore it all apart, cleaned and dried everything and put it back together. filled the connections with dielectric grease, and it's been fine ever since. Other complaint is the charging port WILL NOT stay tight. I have to retighten it every few weeks. Not a big deal, but a PIA that I should have to deal with. I siliconed it in place last time, we'll see if that holds.

Grips, pegs, levers, tires and suspension have all been holding up well. He's up to 63lbs now and it yanks him around quite well. I'm a shade over 225lbs and I ride it around the block once or twice a week. Suspension is WAY WAY too soft for me, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything (other than my butt over bumps). Suspension is a shade stiff for him, but it works well enough to maintain traction and keep him comfortable.

He's jumped, and crashed it a few times now. No broken parts, but a bit of bruised ego each time. We make him ride in boots/pants/gloves/glasses/helmet, which he's not a fan of in the summer, but it's already saved his legs/feet a few times.

We had a Razor MX650 for him before the Mototec. The Mototec is a little bigger, but in general MUCH higher quality for only a few hundred bucks more (if buying brand new).

Sorry, just saw the second part.........

No real advice on pants/gloves/etc. We just went to the local motorcycle dealer and picked out the items, paid and left. It was hard to find some that fit him, so we had to go to several locations to get everything. We're fortunate to have a few stores in town that stock those items. I think we ended up with off brand stuff, and it's held up well considering his fairly light use.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good product. I’ll complete my business proposal and move on to the Finance Committee.
Love the verbiage......I use the same terms in our house :D :D