• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have an electric Dirt Bike for the kiddos?!?!?!

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
graphics are easy they are crf50 so are the plastics easy cheap to find on ebay.... My toys

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of course I buy a used Razor on Monday, and the Mototec we've been waiting on for 2 months comes back in stock on Wednesday.

Never freaking fails

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Of course I buy a used Razor on Monday, and the Mototec we've been waiting on for 2 months comes back in stock on Wednesday.

Never freaking fails

Now youll have 2 bikes! Then maybe this fall you can resell the old one for profit!

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Buy it! Buy them all! It is only money and nobody ever bragged about how much money thay had when they died.. lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2hrs later they're down to 2 left in stock. Good grief, can't even get home to discuss it with the finance committee!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2hrs later they're down to 2 left in stock. Good grief, can't even get home to discuss it with the finance committee!
That's automatic clearance to purchase! They accept returns...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spent an hour messing with the dirtbike last night. 10yr old is at grandmas 2-states away and doesn't know we have it yet, so that let me get some time alone with it to fix a few things.

Initial ride was SCARY.....ZERO brakes...Previous owner had them adjust all the way out, or in the case of the front, completely disconnected. Front brakes were so loose they didn't work at all. It kept "cutting out" at random times. Couldn't figure it out at first, but realized the rear brake handle has a safety switch in it so you can't apply power and brakes at the same time. With no rear brake connected the lever was flopping around and killing power without warning. SO, put it on charge and went in for dinner.

After dinner here's what went down
  • Tightened/adjusted both brakes. I'm gonna need to get a new rear caliper. Return spring on this one is shot, so it drags a little, and doesn't pull the level fully back. Front brakes are in great shape, once adjusted it'll damn near do a stoppie with my 225lb butt aboard.
  • Lubed and adjusted chain. It was loud and squeaky and rattly on the first ride. Some Tri-Flow (it's all I had, I'll have to get some better stuff) and a light tension adjustment helped tremendously.
  • Light washing to remove the last of the graphics on one side. Guess you're not supposed to use whatever the previous owner did to wash it. Decals were peeling in spots when I got it. Went ahead and removed them to match on both sides, and at least be a consistent color/pattern.
  • Adjusted the handle bar position and level position so it actually works. I'll have to readjust for the 10yr old, but it's super easy.
  • Need to source a new front fork. This one has a damaged bushing or something and has a "wobble" when transitioning on/off the brakes. Left side needs something. It rattles as well, but I've read online they all do that, so I'm not super worried.
  • Need to true the front wheel. It's got a slight "wobble" to it from side to side. I'm sure I can adjust the spokes a little and get it trued up. I've done it in the past on other dirtbikes I've had, just didn't have the time to address it last night.
Finally......and this is the best part.....Rode it around the block. It's surprisingly stronger than I expected. Only a 500W motor, but it drags my 225lb, 6'2" frame around perfectly fine. Struggled coming up the hills, but that's to be expected when you've doubled the rated capacity. Brakes are strong enough to lock up the rear, and fully compress the front fork. It's not the exact one he wanted, but for $700 savings, there is a lot of fun to be had on this one still. If he really enjoys himself we'll upgrade him for Christmas or something.

Also, wouldn't let the wife take a picture of me on it. I look like a circus monkey I'm sure :D

oboata

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have time before you see your grandson, it's easy to upgrade the Razors to a bigger motor. There are lots of videos on YouTube.

For Christmas 2019 we got my youngest, 10 years old at the time, a used Razor and he and I spent January upgrading it together. We upgraded it to 48v and 1800 watt motor. I'm 185lb and easily cruise at 20 MPH by GPS speed app, he's probably doing 30 MPH.

This was before Covid so I'm sure prices are higher now, the upgrade was around $300. Bought the motor and controller off ebay for $120, 4 new lead-acid batteries for $110, and charger/switches etc for another $50. If you do the upgrade, look into a lithium battery pack, it's more expensive but so much lighter. The 4 lead-acid batteries weigh a ton, almost as much as the rest of the bike.

Your grandson will have a blast, it's so some much fun for young and old alike.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have time before you see your grandson, it's easy to upgrade the Razors to a bigger motor. There are lots of videos on YouTube.

For Christmas 2019 we got my youngest, 10 years old at the time, a used Razor and he and I spent January upgrading it together. We upgraded it to 48v and 1800 watt motor. I'm 185lb and easily cruise at 20 MPH by GPS speed app, he's probably doing 30 MPH.

This was before Covid so I'm sure prices are higher now, the upgrade was around $300. Bought the motor and controller off ebay for $120, 4 new lead-acid batteries for $110, and charger/switches etc for another $50. If you do the upgrade, look into a lithium battery pack, it's more expensive but so much lighter. The 4 lead-acid batteries weigh a ton, almost as much as the rest of the bike.

Your grandson will have a blast, it's so some much fun for young and old alike.
Yea, if he likes this one and wears it out, we'll look at upgrades. I'm not sure how much use he'll get from it at this point, so we went used to gage interest.

I've seen some kits for ~$450 or so that include the motor, new chain, controller, and all the plugs to make it work. Doesn't include batteries, so might look into Lithium when the time comes.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, he's doing his best to wear this one out. Been going through 3-4 charges a day on it so far. I can see LiPo battery, motor, and controller upgrade coming this winter. Assuming he doesn't wear this stuff out before then.

Size turned out to be about right. He's got this season and maybe next on this frame size. Then we'll need to either lift it a little, or find the next size up bike.
1626958775005.png

They've started doing laps between the houses and around the block and into the field. His MX500 is a good bit faster than his buddies Indian FTR500. Same motor and battery, so best I can tell it's rider weight (he's about 40lbs lighter than his buddy), and back tire diameter (MX500 is a shade taller overall). Either way, they're having a helluva time so far. Curious how long until the new wears off of it.
1626958936490.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another update a week later. Shew buddy it's been a rough one for him. He turns 10 today, so maybe it's up from here.

He finally crashed it a few days ago. Tumbled off when the wheel got caught between the grass and the sidewalk. Luckily it was somewhat low speed and he just banged up a knee with some rash and bruised his hand a bit. Ego was hurt more than the bike. He was able to get it up and ride it home. Came in the house wailing like a banshee though. He's fine now, and back on the thing.

Got, LITERALLY, pulled over by the Sheriff on Sunday night. Lights and everything. Someone called complaining of "A bunch of kids riding dirtbikes over in the field". There are two of them, both on electric bikes, mostly riding through the field, between the houses, up the street, and around again. THey've developed a loop now and are racing each other......Anywho, Sheriff stopped him about 3 houses down, and I happened to be in the garage and walked out to check on him. Sheriff was super cool about it once he found out it was electric. Said, the person complaining was from the second street, and didn't say anything about the noise, just though "those kids shouldn't be doing that".......We all had a chat, and again, the sheriff was super cool about it all. Gave the boys some tips on how to remain visible to cars if he was on the road, quized him on which side of the road to be on and things like that, and generally made sure he wasn't acting like a dummy (he wasn't). Said have a nice night and drove off. I suspect he'll be by to check on us every so often, but doubt he'll stop to talk to us again unless the 10yr old does something wrong.....Super glad I didn't go gas powered at this point. Took a shade over a week to get called on. I knew it was coming.

Finally, it broke last night. Lost a bolt that holds the shock to the swingarm. Just rattled out and went away. About dumped him in the grass, but he recovered, got stopped and walked it home from there. No big deal, I'll grab one from the bolt bin at work, and he'll be back up and running tonight. I'll throw the new rear caliper on it while I've got it on the bench. I HAVE to find some new front forks though. His are insanely "clacky" and a little wobbly. Been watching marketplace and craigslist for a spare bike to use as parts. All the forks I can find are sold out online :(

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
**UPDATE**

Boys been riding it pretty much daily since he got it. Been doing decently so far.....UNTIL he rode it in the rain yesterday. Fried the speed/control module (which is placed to get good airflow, but is right under the rear fender where the water soaked it. I suspect it was already damaged and just let water in. Wires are scorched around the area where they enter the housing.

Ordered a new control module from Razor for $35. Should be here this week, and will get him back up and going I think.

Next question. The batteries seem like they are losing some runtime. I suspect this is from the habit of plugging it in before completely discharging, and the batteries taking some sort of "memory". Used to be that batteries would do that, and I have no idea how to "undo" that. They look physically acceptable on the exterior, no signs of bulging or damage otherwise. I've read a little about "de-sulfating" the batteries. Best I can tell you just drain them all the way down with some nominal load (12V fan), then slowly charge it back to full with a trickle charge. Anyone know if that works? @HangOutdoors do you know? If it's time to replace the batteries I'm going to just limp these into winter time, and move to a 48V system overall. if I can refurb these I think he could get another season out of the setup.

Still need to rebuild the front fork. It rattles pretty badly. Needs a lower bushing/bearing, and some rubber washers to quiet it down. Rear shock seems to be doing OK, and the tires are holding up decently as well. Overall, we've easily gotten our moneys worth out of it as this point. Just have to figure out if we're going to keep this one for another season, or upgrade to something bigger/better/faster.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well.....this escalated quickly.

$75 for the quad. 24V 300W. Little big for the 3yr old, but be about right next season.

PXL_20210911_131827674.jpg

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Holy crap. I love the Yamaha Big Wheel. 80cc 2smoker - 3 speed auto clutch. The thing is rock solid. We still have an 86’ BW80 in our family. The thing is a rock. Its an awesome play thing - it does everything and pulls snow boarders across the frozen lake.
We will NEVER let her go.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I took a hard look at electrics. I couldn't find any that would let me take my daughter for a 1 to 2 hr trail ride... so we went gas. I think in a few years it'll be different (but expensive). For now.... hard to beat internal combustion.

Got her started on a drz125

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took a hard look at electrics. I couldn't find any that would let me take my daughter for a 1 to 2 hr trail ride... so we went gas. I think in a few years it'll be different (but expensive). For now.... hard to beat internal combustion.

Got her started on a drz125
Yea, if I get a gas for trail riding, I'll have to get gas for them as well.

Check out the Volcon Grunt and Runt. They're getting close.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Next question. The batteries seem like they are losing some runtime. I suspect this is from the habit of plugging it in before completely discharging, and the batteries taking some sort of "memory". Used to be that batteries would do that, and I have no idea how to "undo" that. They look physically acceptable on the exterior, no signs of bulging or damage otherwise. I've read a little about "de-sulfating" the batteries. Best I can tell you just drain them all the way down with some nominal load (12V fan), then slowly charge it back to full with a trickle charge. Anyone know if that works?
For my son’s Razors (go kart and off-road scooter) I try to not charge them until the battery is weak enough to slow the max speed or crawl to avoid memory imprinting on the batteries. It usually isn’t difficult as the runtime, especially on the scooter isn’t like several hours. But it can be a hassle if it unexpectedly dies since it takes 8-12 hours to fully charge the batteries. If you have a good charger for your boat that can recovery a damaged battery, could you use that on these sealed batteries? That would be nice. I’d rather use my NOCO, if I could, instead of Razor’s wall wart.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
**UPDATE**

Next question. The batteries seem like they are losing some runtime. I suspect this is from the habit of plugging it in before completely discharging, and the batteries taking some sort of "memory".
The stock batteries are sealed lead acid, just like in a computer UPS. They are not the best chemistry for frequent deep discharge. My guess is there is little if any voltage protection in the speed controller. They are typically good for 200 cycles if fully discharged, about 400 if discharged to 50%.

Upgrade to Lithium? It would also charge much faster.

Last edited: