• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone here own a 27' Yamaha Jet Boat? If so, what do you think of it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't buy a 27' Yamaha for two reasons:
1. They don't sell them here in CA, at least not that I'm aware of.
2. I can't justify the $100K price of a new one.

That stated, I'd like to live vicariously a little so want to hear member / user reviews if possible.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to the boat test review of the new 27’ boat from Yamaha.

The big surprises for me:
A. 9’ beam
B. The transom seats can be flipped to be used tables and they float.
C. Top loader intake grates
D. 250 HP engines
E. 90 gallon fuel capacity (100 mile range at 30 mph cruising speed)

There was no mention of a trailer so I couldn’t tell if one is included. Surprisingly there was no mention of price either but as I recall they start at around $100K which I think is a big reason we don’t have many or any members here who own one.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Couple nice little things there I didn't know about
- USB ports all over
- Pulldown windscreen from the windshield. Seems a better solution than folding the door over, provided it doesnt flop around.
- Range was 147mi at cruise speed, 100mi was at WOT

I like how they tried to sell the stupid side windshield. That thing is terrible, clear that these boattest videos are just marketing spots. I really am interested to see more real world data on the steering wheel paddles.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, this boat is Yacht rated, so the wide beam. Also, no trailer is included as it would be illegal to tow in most states without a permit. I guess that's not hard to get in most cases. But like the 10' wide pontoons in our region, they get launched in the spring and pulled in the fall. So to winterization and storage. The storage folks use their trailer/permit to move it where it needs to go.

I don't see jet drives being an efficient use of power on boats that big. And the price tag has put it in another class of boats where there is way more competition than the rest of the line up. I do understand the limited supply to start, as I see this as a boat for those graduating from an existing Yamaha. But it may be very difficult to pull anyone away from a similar stern drive. The whole "no prop" safety thing is really a non issue with today's swimdecks on big boats. And we really do over play the shallow draft card as half of us love the fact that we can go shallower than a prop, while the other half say don't go shallow as you will suck something up. (as long as I know the price I will play sucking up sand/weeds, that's all that matters)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A little like the Tesla conversation.... once you sit in it, your perception changes somewhat. At least, mine did. It looks a lot better in person than in pics.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A little like the Tesla conversation.... once you sit in it, your perception changes somewhat. At least, mine did. It looks a lot better in person than in pics.
No amount of sitting or seeing it in person is ever going to make me like the windshield and overall silhouette profile of the boat. As far as creature comforts go I’d say go sit in a nice Sea Ray SLX 250 or 280 and tell me the Yamaha is worth the same prices those boats go for. Not sure if you’ve ever sat in one of the newer Sea Ray’s but they make a nice I/O that feels and looks nice for the price. I can’t say the same for the 25’ Yamaha.

Don’t forget the 270 series Yamaha don’t come with a trailer so the MSRP you see go ahead and factor in a couple more grand for a decent trailer and even more so if you want galvanized.

Last edited:

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've looked at them, and they come with a Trailer in my region. The struggle with purchasing one is the need of an Oversize Load permit to pull it down the road. Virginia gives them annually for recreational boats. But its still a struggle.

The price itself isn't an issue if the boat was a cruiser or a cuddy, but not a bow rider. What can I do on it that I can't do on the 242LSE and save ~30K off the based model.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
a 9' wide boat does need a permit to tow in most instances. When I was a kid, my parents bought a 24' Campion with a flying bridge on it and since it came out of Canada, it has a 9' beam vs an 8.5 beam. That's really only a difference of 3" per side. My dad stored it in the driveway and towed it to the water every time we used it and also 200 miles away once per year for vacation and never had a permit for it. He was never once pulled over and asked about it. His philosophy was: so long as I'm not drawing attention to myself, I likely won't be hassled. he never was. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do ... just what he did for years.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This boat would perform much better with a pair of Yamaha 250hp outboards (and those new clever Sharrow props)!

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've never seen at 27' foot Yahama in the wild but I will say if I wanted one the 9ft beam would be a non issue. Like @Matt Phillips said, it's only 3" on each side. 9foot is probably still narrower than me having my wakeboard racks stuck out or other boats with guide posts.
Plus looks like North Carolina will allow up to 10ft beams on boats without special permits. If you go to the beach you will see some large boats being trailered, and no one has special wide load markings. Trailer Dimensions - AAA Digest of Motor Laws