• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone know anything about upholstering

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a few 23 foot Yamaha's that need interior redone. Everyone around me is booked up and doesn't have time to reupholster my boat or they are asking a ridiculous price. Has anyone ever done their boat themselves?

I am looking to buy a sailrite fabricator to complete the task. Anyone know how to make the seam that is in the picture below? That looks like it will be the most challenging part.

image1.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jlhtec

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
French seams are not for the novice. The factory uses a double needle walking foot. You can attempt it with a single needle machine, but results vary depending on the attention to detail of the operator. Material selection is critical. You get what you pay for when it comes to upholstery work and the materials.

I can help answer any of your questions, as I have been doing upholstery since middle school only because I enjoy the work.

Jeff

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a few 23 foot Yamaha's that need interior redone. Everyone around me is booked up and doesn't have time to reupholster my boat or they are asking a ridiculous price. Has anyone ever done their boat themselves?

I am looking to buy a sailrite fabricator to complete the task. Anyone know how to make the seam that is in the picture below? That looks like it will be the most challenging part.

View attachment 88254
Thanks @Scottintexas. My wife recently purchased a SailRite LSZ-1 premium, with Monster wheel. https://jetboaters.net/threads/sailrite-ultrafeed-model-lsz-1-premium.20397/ She wanted the Fabricator, but it does not do zigzag, which is required for sail repairs on the Beneteau. She will be adding the servo motor as it allows more precision and slower speeds. The Fabricator is a beast and Sailrite has a great customer support system. there are better more expensive machines ie. Juki, but SailRites How to Video library has just about anything you will need to sew. Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969
We/She has a long list of projects this spring and Reupholstering the Yamaha will wait until she is comfortable with the machine and sewing expensive faux leather vinyl, maybe next year. The beneteau needs cockpit and cabin cushions, new dodger and bimini with spray shield and weather cloths. Long list right here, not taking on any work. As far as the stitch...it is a french seam. here is a how to.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks @Scottintexas. My wife recently purchased a SailRite LSZ-1 premium, with Monster wheel. https://jetboaters.net/threads/sailrite-ultrafeed-model-lsz-1-premium.20397/ She wanted the Fabricator, but it does not do zigzag, which is required for sail repairs on the Beneteau. She will be adding the servo motor as it allows more precision and slower speeds. The Fabricator is a beast and Sailrite has a great customer support system. there are better more expensive machines ie. Juki, but SailRites How to Video library has just about anything you will need to sew. Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969
We/She has a long list of projects this spring and Reupholstering the Yamaha will wait until she is comfortable with the machine and sewing expensive faux leather vinyl, maybe next year. The beneteau needs cockpit and cabin cushions, new dodger and bimini with spray shield and weather cloths. Long list right here, not taking on any work. As far as the stitch...looks like a french seam with a top stitch on either side. here is a how to.
That looks awesome! They make it look TOO easy.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a unicorn in the Houston area willing to do the job in my boat for $1550. It came out great and it took him about 10 days. That included removing and reinstalling all cushions. I had other quotes of $2750-$3300.

remove and reinstall alone was probably 9 hours of work, for 2 people.

It was not an easy job.

Best of luck!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I found a unicorn in the Houston area willing to do the job in my boat for $1550. It came out great and it took him about 10 days. That included removing and reinstalling all cushions. I had other quotes of $2750-$3300.

It was not an easy job.

Best of luck!
WOW! That's impressive. I haven't gotten quotes, but it seems where I live things like that are stupid expensive. To save on labor I plan to remove and install mine on my own.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you look at all my prior posts, you will find I'm cheap and normally suggest doing things yourself. If you can find someone to do the remove/replace for a reasonable amount of money...it will be money very well spent...you need to crawl into tight spaces, and the fiberglass is attacking you every way possible. It's one of those jobs I would pay someone to do...and that's saying a lot :)

Nothing wrong with giving it a go yourself too before you decide, but don't underestimate the difficulty it involves.

I'm also pretty big and tall so it seemed even more difficult to me.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We/She has a long list of projects this spring and Reupholstering the Yamaha will wait until she is comfortable with the machine and sewing expensive faux leather vinyl, maybe next year. The beneteau needs cockpit and cabin cushions, new dodger and bimini with spray shield and weather cloths. Long list right here, not taking on any work. As far as the stitch...looks like a french seam with a top stitch on either side. here is a how to.
Thanks @zipper, that's just what I was looking for. I went through a few of their videos last night, but didn't see this one. I am fairly certain I will be capable of doing this. Do you know how common a zigzag stitch his made, or what for? I looked at the LSZ-1, but I want something with a table and don't see the need of buying a machine and taking the motor off, to use the servo motor with a table.

It was not an easy job.

Best of luck!

That's an awesome price! I have the interior out of my SX230, it didnt take too long, but I did take some short cuts, like cutting access panels behind the seats to make the bolts/nuts easier to get too. They are behind the seats, so you wont even know they are there, and they didn't take anything from the strength or integrity of the boat. If I could find that kind of price I would be ecstatic. I had one place quote me $3,500 but he cant do it until August/September. I had another place quote me $6,000.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @zipper, that's just what I was looking for. I went through a few of their videos last night, but didn't see this one. I am fairly certain I will be capable of doing this. Do you know how common a zigzag stitch his made, or what for? I looked at the LSZ-1, but I want something with a table and don't see the need of buying a machine and taking the motor off, to use the servo motor with a table.
The only reason she bought the LSZ-1 over the Fabricator was the ability to repair minor sail issues, needing a zigzag stitch. If we did not have a sailboat, we would not need zigzag. The heavy Monster wheel is great for punching thru multiple layers of fabric with the momentum in the flywheel. To get it to go slowly/precisely you can hand crank the machine, on the boat without power if needed, good for small jobs but on larger jobs you take off the monster wheel and use the servo/step motor for stitch by stitch sewing, mounted to a treddle under the table

Last edited:

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only reason she bought the LSZ-1 over the Fabricator was the ability to repair minor sail issues, needing a zigzag stitch. If we did not have a sailboat, we would not need zigzag. The heavy Monster wheel is great for punching thru multiple layers of fabric with the momentum in the flywheel. To get it to go slowly/precisely you can hand crank the machine, good for small jobs but on larger jobs you take off the monster wheel and use the servo/step motor for stitch by stitch sewing, mounted to a treddle under the table
Sounds good. It looks like I am ordering the Fabricator today. With any luck, I may try and make some skins for fellow jet boaters after i get the hang of it. I have 3 of my own boats to practice on first...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds good. It looks like I am ordering the Fabricator today. With any luck, I may try and make some skins for fellow jet boaters after i get the hang of it. I have 3 of my own boats to practice on first...
While you at it, maybe pick up a welder too, put together some 242X towers! Lol

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I got my Fabricator yesterday, and got it out together today. I had only a few minutes, but wanted to see how the vinyls I bought look together, so I did a quick stitch.

B5B32773-AF08-442F-B750-DEEE80EE055F.jpegF991AF8F-D038-481D-9752-85797C49FE9F.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very excited, can't wait to see your progress

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first seat. Turned out OK, but could use some improvements in some places....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dam man. For a first attempt this looks great.
I am really keeping a watch on your progress.
If you can do upholstery, I bet you can do canvas easily too right ....

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First cushion with the Fabricator? Wow, with all the curves, could you have picked an easier one to start? I can see what You mean, it just takes practice with the materials...but still very nice filler cushion for your first project. Keep up the good work.

I definitely didn’t choose the right cushion to start with, it was the smallest so I thought it would be the best to start with, but with all the curves it’s probably the hardest cushion in the boat to make. I think I will get the hang of it though, the fabricator is awesome, it’s amazing how slow it will go.