• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anyone prepping for winterization yet?

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Its sad to admit that it's about time to start thinking/prepping for boat hibernation next month. The dealer had a lead time of 10weeks last year for spark plugs, but the factory spec NGK LFR6A plugs appear to be commonly available at alternate locations. Where is the best and reasonably cost effective place to get factory spec plugs and oil?

I asked my dealer what all was included in the $500+ 100hr service, but he was intentionally vague on the topic so I ordered a full factory service manual which appears to have been a great investment for $40. I'll be doing the 100hr service as well next month.

2016-2020 Yamaha PWC Jet Boat 242X E-Series / 242 Limited E-Series / 242 Limited S E-Series / 4Star Part# LIT-18616-03-67 service shop repair manual Yamaha PN: LIT-18616-03-67

Last edited:
Its sad to admit that it's about time to start thinking/prepping for boat hibernation next month. The dealer had a lead time of 10weeks last year for spark plugs, but the factory spec NGK LFR6A plugs appear to be commonly available at alternate locations. Where is the best and reasonably cost effective place to get factory spec plugs and oil?

I asked my dealer what all was included in the $500+ 100hr service, but he was intentionally vague on the topic so I ordered a full factory service manual which appears to have been a great investment for $40. I'll be doing the 100hr service as well next month.

2016-2020 Yamaha PWC Jet Boat 242X E-Series / 242 Limited E-Series / 242 Limited S E-Series / 4Star Part# LIT-18616-03-67 service shop repair manual Yamaha PN: LIT-18616-03-67
Thinking about this is making me anxious. I dont wanna pay the dealer, but I dont wanna jack something up either.

Thinking about this is making me anxious. I dont wanna pay the dealer, but I dont wanna jack something up either.
I can appreciate that anxiety. You live local. If you want to meet for a coffee, I'll let you look at the manual. It put those fears to rest.

I'd like to hear how your service goes, @Bizywk. I'm doing my Waverunners this weekend, but will probably bring the boat into the dealer this year and do it myself next time. The downside is that my dealer up here vs where I bought it 150 miles south is only a Yamaha PWC dealer, they won't winterize the ballast system.

I’ve been putting stabil in my boat and Waverunners for the past month in anticipation of needing to store them for the off-season soon. I prefer to do this once per machine but didn’t know when I would use them last so I top off the fuel after every use and include the appropriate amount of stabil as well.

$500 is a deal for the first service compared to what. My local dealer here in NCAL charges, or charged $800 and this was over five years ago. What’s included? They change the oil and filters, check (not replace) the spark plugs, tighten up any loose screws and bolts and lube the intermediate bearings, sometimes my dealer will also add grease to the trailer bearings and wash the boat before they I pick it up. Basically they follow the suggestion maintenance schedule. Is this worth $800 or $500? Not too me.

spark plugs can usually be found at a local auto parts store for under $10 each. You may be able to find a better price online. Yamaha line 10/40 runs about $30 per gallon. Oil Filters have a wide range of pricing but if you go with Yamaha branded oil filters expect to pay about $25 for each of them. I highly recommend that all jet boat owners, especially Yamaha jetboat and pwc/Waverunner owners so there own maintenance (I.e., spark plug, oil and filter changes). One other tool Needed to do so is an oil extractor, the manual ones can be had for around $50 and battery powered model from west marine is around $150.

oil and filter changes take about an hour the first time and 30 minute or less later on (less if you warm the engines/oil up first). Changing out Spark plugs takes about the same Amount of time.

Jetboatpilot has oil change and sparkplug kits. They are pretty reasonable.
It is VERY easy to do both in the these boats. It's easy to reach everything and a couple of hours (at most) to do both oil change and sparkplugs.

No. Still too fkng hot to even take our baby with us to the lake.

6EEF7002-A204-408C-952B-DB465CAED6C8.png

When is 80 degrees I don’t want to think about it.

I’ve been putting stabil in my boat and Waverunners for the past month in anticipation of needing to store them for the off-season soon. I prefer to do this once per machine but didn’t know when I would use them last so I top off the fuel after every use and include the appropriate amount of stabil as well.

Same here with the stabil I have been doing winterization myself along with all other repairs for the last 20 years these boats and the forum support make it very easy. I fog the engines put the old plugs in then run them beginning of the season burn off the fogging oil then put in new plugs.

Did you mean to replay to this thread on winterization?
I did. Just joking by answering the question since I see everyone’s beautiful lake days when it’s miserable here all summer.

You live in CA, you shouldn’t really ever be winterizing either!

I keep the Stabil in my truck in the boat box. That way when I am coming off the lake if I think I won't go out again, I will throw the Stabil in and then fill the tank with gas.

I would also keep the receipts for you records, if you ever need a warranty claim. And when you go to sell, gives the buyer piece of mind.

I've been thinking about it but probably won't get around to it until October. My scheduled date for winter storage drop off is November 3rd so i have some time. Minnesota can throw some warm days at us towards the end of September or early October.

I did. Just joking by answering the question since I see everyone’s beautiful lake days when it’s miserable here all summer.

You live in CA, you shouldn’t really ever be winterizing either!
All of California having year round boating weather is a myth, I wish it wasn’t. Southern CA has great weather year round, some rain in the winter but that is about it. Northern CA has good boating weather from April through September, sometimes October, otherwise it’s cold and/or raining. I’m located in Northern CA about 35 miles south east of San Francisco. The whole state is in extreme drought now so in most cases the weather doesn’t matter as the boat ramps on many lakes are already closed.

Don't know that word(winterization) it's a southern Florida thing.......................it is a little hot for boating right now just enjoying the pool. Sorry!!!!!

Here in N. Illinois we will be boating as long as we can . This year we will be at least into mid-October before I even think about getting it ready for hibernation.

Don't know that word(winterization) it's a southern Florida thing.......................it is a little hot for boating right now just enjoying the pool. Sorry!!!!!

LOL. Keep rubbing it in my friend. :) Florida is really blessed in many ways. That reminds me of this meme...

Attachments

• 48361822_10161146826150082_4689977598581669888_n_7f3a05dd4f83beb97febc4eacfd9925889a768f9.jpg
    48361822_10161146826150082_4689977598581669888_n_7f3a05dd4f83beb97febc4eacfd9925889a768f9.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 4
Here in N. Illinois we will be boating as long as we can . This year we will be at least into mid-October before I even think about getting it ready for hibernation.
We're not going to stop until we must. Planning ahead is the name of the game.

Back